Free Mason's... temple bag?

Backroads

So my brother found a great find at the Deseret Industries over the weekend. A Masonic briefcase (only 5$!). He says he plans to use it as his new temple bag. Now with my brother you can never be sure if he's joking, so he may or not be serious about this.

That aside, would it be... appropriate?

So my brother found a great find at the Deseret Industries over the weekend. A Masonic briefcase (only 5$!). He says he plans to use it as his new temple bag. Now with my brother you can never be sure if he's joking, so he may or not be serious about this.

That aside, would it be... appropriate?

dunno. I don't think god will shoot him with lightning or anything.

If it were me I'd be concerened with any symbology that might be inscribed onto the case, bu that would be about the extent of my concern.

I enjoy showing the misionaries and hometeachers our collection of Masonic items I inherited from my dad and grandma. Some of them are politely interested, some of them figure there's something wrong with us.

And some of us just know. ^_^

Guest saintish

thats all fine and good until some anti-mormon snaps a picture of him walking into the temple with a bag with a big mason's square and compass on the side and the whole can of worms about Joseph smith plagiarizing the mason's ceremonies gets opened again.

Nope. Mormonism and Masonry were very closely associated for a while--many of the Church's founders became Masons and founded a lodge during the Church's Nauvoo period, and there are scholars who argue that elements of our temple liturgy are derived from Masonic ritual.

Free Masonry is not a religion it is a brotherhood that believes in God. The prerequisites to be a Mason is a belief in God and be an honorable man. They go as far as to do a background check before they let you enter. Not just a employment type background check, but a military clearnce type background check. .

Edited by Tyler90AZ

Guest saintish

I wouldn't be caught dead with such a thing. The Catholic Church expressly forbids membership or association with the Masonic order. I am curious as to whether the LDS feel likewise.

unfortunately the catholic church got caught up in the anti-mason movement of the 1800's. I assure you there is nothing unholy or perverse within the brotherhood. (and there are many catholic masons as well, even priests and bishops)

unfortunately the catholic church got caught up in the anti-mason movement of the 1800's. I assure you there is nothing unholy or perverse within the brotherhood. (and there are many catholic masons as well, even priests and bishops)

Um, no, there are no Catholic masons, especially priests and bishops. Catholics aren't free to pick and choose which teachings to follow. The Church forbids membership or affiliation with Masons and all faithful Catholics observe that.

Guest saintish

Um, no, there are no Catholic masons, especially priests and bishops. Catholics aren't free to pick and choose which teachings to follow. The Church forbids membership or affiliation with Masons and all faithful Catholics observe that.

well tell that to the ones i know personally. btw the church has softened its position on free masonry over the years, membership no longer demands excommunication as it did before.

A debate over Catholic masons, eh? I'd like to see evidence for one side or the other. My brother was invited to join the Masons a few years back, but declined for a variety of reasons... Maybe that's why he was excited over the bag. And he does love temple symbolism.

Guest saintish

It going to be really hard to produce any evidence, most catholic masons don't like to publicize there membership to people outside of the brotherhood for fear of catholics like Saintmichaeldefendthem1 the one i know who is a Bishop never attends any public mason functions for fear he might run into one of his parishioners.

It going to be really hard to produce any evidence, most catholic masons don't like to publicize there membership to people outside of the brotherhood for fear of catholics like Saintmichaeldefendthem1 the one i know who is a Bishop never attends any public mason functions for fear he might run into one of his parishioners.

Well St. Michael is invoking the faithful qualifier defense, which is a variation of no true Scotsman.* Which actually has some validity, as my understanding is that it is possible for certain sins to 'automatically excommunicate' a person from the Roman Catholic Church even if not officially recognized because they don't know about it. I don't know if being a Mason qualifies though. Also, I don't think the technicality is going to jive with most folks.

Edit: If he's not talking about automatic excommunication then the same reasoning lets me claim that no LDS, faithful ones of course, commit adultery. While technically true good luck convincing people.

*Though I suppose that's a lengthy debate in itself. What makes someone Catholic or LDS?

Edited by Dravin

Not only is membership in the Freemasons forbidden, but that also extends to the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Orangemen, the Sons of Temperence, oh, and the Communist Party.

It's commonly mistaken that the Catholic Church had dropped the penalty of excommunication because of the revised code (canon 1374) in which the language was changed. To clear up any misunderstanding, a statement was published in November 1983 clarifying that the penalty was still in force. Excommunication for membership in the Freemasons has not been rescinded.

Though today, the Freemasons are more of a social club, historically they have enchartered the complete destruction of the Catholic Church

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward or punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiation and burial rites."

The incompatibility with the Christian gospel and the historical violence committed against the Catholic Church not only by Freemasons but also by the other aforementioned orders is the chief reason that faithful Catholics are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN from joining.

The one and only Catholic in this forum has spoken.

A debate over Catholic masons, eh? I'd like to see evidence for one side or the other. My brother was invited to join the Masons a few years back, but declined for a variety of reasons... Maybe that's why he was excited over the bag. And he does love temple symbolism.

Interesting. My understanding is that Masons aren't supposed to recruit--you ask to join; you're never invited.

Not only is membership in the Freemasons forbidden, but that also extends to the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Orangemen, the Sons of Temperence, oh, and the Communist Party.

Aren't the Orangemen by definition Protestant anyways?

Incidentally, I have a 2nd-great-grandfather who was a Mormon in 1890s Utah and a member of the Odd Fellows.

Guest saintish

The incompatibility with the Christian gospel and the historical violence committed against the Catholic Church not only by Freemasons but also by the other aforementioned orders is the chief reason that faithful Catholics are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN from joining.

The one and only Catholic in this forum has spoken.

what violence has the brotherhood committed against the catholic church? that is absurd rubbish. the masons have been accused of many things as have mormons and as with mormons most all of them are false. whether your catholic or not doesn't change the fact that i know several faithful catholic masons.

Guest saintish

Interesting. My understanding is that Masons aren't supposed to recruit--you ask to join; you're never invited.

this is technically true however sometimes friends will "encourage" other friends to see if they are interested in joining.