Gross Cookie Ingredients for Kids...

I think this is my first ever thread in the Advice section...

My brain is just refusing to function these days so I was hoping y'all can help me out.

I'm trying to do a Cookie-Baking Primary Singing Time this Sunday to introduce a new song. Basically, what I'm trying to do is have the ingredients for Cookies on a table and we're going to mix the ingredients while I teach the song.

We will have two options for each ingredient - the good ingredient and the gross ingredient. I'm going to put the words to the song on the board, we're going to sing the song one line at a time. So for the first line, we're going to sing that line once, then I'm going to remove a few words, then we will sing the song. If they get the words right we will add the good ingredient to the bowl, otherwise, we will add the bad ingredient. We do this line by line, one ingredient per line, then after we finish the entire thing, I'm going to send the cookie dough to the kitchen to "bake" and then I'll have them take home the finished cookies (yes, yes, it will be a store-bought yummy chocolate-chip cookie, of course).

Anyway, I can't think of ingredients that would be gross (something visually disgusting and/or something that stinks).

There are 8 lines I plan to teach. So I need 8 ingredients. I've come up with these so far:

1.) Flour (good), __________ (bad)

2.) Vanilla (good), Soy Sauce (bad)

3.) Egg (good), Balut (bad)

4.) Milk (good), Ensure (bad)

5.) Chocolate Chips (good), _________ (bad)

And 3 other ingredients of good and bad...

Can you help me with more ideas? Thanks a bunch!

Edited by anatess

laundry soap

tuna

mustard

sauerkraut

salt (instead of sugar, I know that cookies need a little salt)

Lots of things would be gross in cookies. Are you looking for ingredients that look similar to the good stuff, or just something gross?

Yeah, something similar would be great. Laundry soap for flour would be cool! LOL...

Can I ask what you're trying to teach with this object lesson? Or is it just for fun?

I have a concern: are the ingredients in the primary room with a group of children. Are you having Sharing Time in the cultural hall or kitchen? I see a recipe for disaster here. Good or bad ingredients if spilled will be a mess to clean out of carpet. I suggest a large sheet of plastic under the table. :D

Can I ask what you're trying to teach with this object lesson? Or is it just for fun?

I have a concern: are the ingredients in the primary room with a group of children. Are you having Sharing Time in the cultural hall or kitchen? I see a recipe for disaster here. Good or bad ingredients if spilled will be a mess to clean out of carpet. I suggest a large sheet of plastic under the table. :D

I'm trying to teach a new song. The activity makes it fun to learn the song so they won't mind singing the thing over and over and over ad nauseum.

The kids won't be doing anything with the ingredients. They're going to be sitting down on their chairs singing. I'm putting the "cookie dough" together myself infront of the class (in the Primary Room). And yes, I'll have protective sheeting - I learned that when doing the baking-soda/vinegar/food-color game...

Yeah, I got the idea from somewhere on the internet... I can't remember which one it is anymore!

I so suck at this calling that I can't come up with my own ideas. I have to copy someone elses. Good thing there's a bunch of good ones out there.

This just doesn't sound fun to me. lol Sorry I could see our primary kids (mostly my kids) getting way out of control in this type of activity.

However, thinking on it I had another idea that could be fun. Doing a friendship fudge while singing would work. No gross ingredients involved. You put everything in a gallon zip bag and the kids have to mash it with their hands until it's mixed into a fudge (double bag it for little kids just in case if you need to). Sit in a circle, pass the bag with each line, sing the song till the fudge is ready. When primary is over everyone could have a pinch of fudge. I have a chocolate fudge and a peanut butter fudge recipe that would work this way.

This just doesn't sound fun to me. lol Sorry I could see our primary kids (mostly my kids) getting way out of control in this type of activity.

However, thinking on it I had another idea that could be fun. Doing a friendship fudge while singing would work. No gross ingredients involved. You put everything in a gallon zip bag and the kids have to mash it with their hands until it's mixed into a fudge (double bag it for little kids just in case if you need to). Sit in a circle, pass the bag with each line, sing the song till the fudge is ready. When primary is over everyone could have a pinch of fudge. I have a chocolate fudge and a peanut butter fudge recipe that would work this way.

OOOHHHH This sounds cooool!!! Yeah! May I have the ingredients for chocolate fudge? We have a peanut allergy in our primary... and yes, it's my son. Hah!

Gwen, didn't you make that treacle thing for your YW too? Can I also have the recipe for that? My friend is the YW President and although she already got her camp activity done, she's looking for ideas for next year. You are sooo awesome!

There is something that I've used to keep the kid's mind off of the fact that they are singing the same song over and over and over again. It's a version of the Hotter/colder game. I have one child step outside the room and have another child hide something (I use a post-it note with a musical note drawn on it). We let the child come back in and the kids sing until the child finds it. They sing softly if it is far away and loundly if it is close.

Great idea. However, may I suggest not to waste too many ingredients? I hate to see stuff going to waste! :)

If it is helping children learn a song, it is not a waste but a very good use of flour.

Flour is probably giddy at the chance to magnify its calling...

OOOHHHH This sounds cooool!!! Yeah! May I have the ingredients for chocolate fudge? We have a peanut allergy in our primary... and yes, it's my son. Hah!

Gwen, didn't you make that treacle thing for your YW too? Can I also have the recipe for that? My friend is the YW President and although she already got her camp activity done, she's looking for ideas for next year. You are sooo awesome!

"treacle"..... cultural term difference? I have no idea what that is. lol

These are not my original recipes. It's the kind that you have around and who knows where they really came from. lol

Friendship Fudge (chocolate)Mix in a gallon ziplock bag:

4 cups powdered sugar

3 ounces of softened cream cheese

1/2 cup softened margarine

1/2 cup cocoa

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 chopped nuts (optional)

Mix ingredients together by squeezing the bag and passing it around the group.

In case someone wants it....

The peanut butter "fudge" is one I adapted to fit the concept of passing it around in the bag.

1 1/2 cups peanut butter (can be crunchy or creamy, just depends on what you like)

1/2 cup softened butter

3 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

If you don't want to take the time of the bag and just want the treat the original recipe called for mixing it in your mixer, press it into a pan and pour melted chocolate over it. After it cools cut into squares.... it is as good as any peanut butter cup. I've also rolled it into marble sized balls, rolled those in melted chocolate and then let cool. I get a lot of complements on the pb balls but they are more time consuming.

There are 8 lines I plan to teach. So I need 8 ingredients. I've come up with these so far:

1.) Flour (good), __________ (bad)

2.) Vanilla (good), Soy Sauce (bad)

3.) Egg (good), Balut (bad)

4.) Milk (good), Ensure (bad)

5.) Chocolate Chips (good), _________ (bad)

And 3 other ingredients of good and bad...

Can you help me with more ideas? Thanks a bunch!

1) Plaster (before it's hydrated obviously).

5) Well, various animal droppings are an obvious one. Otherwise rodent food pellets?

For the other three bad:

Jam (depends on the cookie), Sriracha

Molasses, Fish Sauce

Cinnamon, rust.

Edited by Dravin

Milk good Ensure bad

The only problem I have with this is that you are speaking to Primary kids who may or may not make the distinction that Ensure is bad only for the cookies.

Many doctors advise their patients (adults and kids) to use Ensure when having some digestive problems with dairy products. I have.

While it would be very close and I can see how it relates to what you are doing..not sure the kids would totally make the distinction. I'd hate to have kids tell their parents.."I can't drink Ensure because it's bad. I learned that in Primary." :)

"treacle"..... cultural term difference? I have no idea what that is. lol

Treacle is a syrup made during the processing of sugar cane. It is very similar to molasses and can be used in place of molasses in some recipes.

Not cultural exactly. Maybe generational?

Treacle is a syrup made during the processing of sugar cane. It is very similar to molasses and can be used in place of molasses in some recipes.

Not cultural exactly. Maybe generational?

You'll see it listed as an ingredient in some higher quality black licorice, though they generally pride themselves in being traditional in some way.

the only issue I see is that what ever is used because it is primary kids should be food safe in case some smart little one wants to taste it. Guess where I learned that little idea from. Think my little kids.

Go to the grocery store or better yet a baking supply store and tell them what you want to do and I bet they can give you more ideas than you can possible use.