small wards

Guest saintish

Guest saintish

I have been in wards of all different sizes but this past Sunday I attended possibly the smallest ward in my life. As I understand there were over 300 members on the books but only 50! In attendance. I asked if this was normal, they told me usually there are 75 to 80. So less than 1/3 of the ward is active.

I guess my question is how common is this? And, do branches exist in the US anymore? (besides YSA branches) what distinguishes between a large branch and a small ward?

Guest saintish

Yes there are branches in the Odgen, Utah area. Mostly Spanish speaking.... and many of those Spanish speaking branches have become wards, but not all.

wouldn't those be considered specialty branches, like YSA branches? Gosh even those are becoming wards.

The Montgomery Alabama stake has 4 wards and 8 branches. None of the branches has more than 50 in attendance on any given Sunday.

One of the wards is a favorite for Air Force officers attending the 10 month long officer schools/training (Air War College, etc). During the summers the Prattville ward is often down to 75 active members in attendance until the next class of officers show up.

Here in Indianapolis West stake, we have 2 branches. One is out in the country, Greencastle. The other is an inner-city Spanish branch.

There are many branches in the US. I know of 2 members of this site that belong to a branch. One in Alabama and one in Missouri.

Ahem, you know me- I am from a Branch in Oregon. The difference is that Branch's have less people, and if putting those less people into neighboring Wards makes the Wards too big, then they remain a Branch.

The area the people live in our Branch encompasses a lot of land. The neighboring Ward used to be the largest Ward in the Stake. 80 of it's members (30 families) were just reassigned and are now in our Branch. About half of them are inactive.

Our membership needs to double for us to attain Ward status. That is something we are working on, that and helping our inactives become active again.

The reasons between ward and branch are usually leadership. If there are sufficient active members to support a ward it is a ward. Staffing for all auxiliaries etc. It does happen but not common for a ward to become a branch. Very common that branches become wards as membership grows.

Ben Raines

Guest saintish

So is it up to the stake / district president or does it go higher than that? Basically there are no set rules for what is a branch or a ward, is that right?

And, do branches exist in the US anymore? (besides YSA branches) what distinguishes between a large branch and a small ward?

I grew up in branches. Yes, they still exist.

A ward is a regularly organized unit of a stake. I know of two types of branches: Dependent branches and independent branches. Dependent branches are usually very small and are financially dependent on a sponsoring ward. They typically are used when a small group of people live far enough away from the main ward that travel is prohibitively difficult. An independent branch has no sponsoring ward, and can be quite large, but lacks sufficient Melchizedek Priesthood presence to staff all the needed positions in the ward.

Or so is Vort's non-authoritative understanding.

I'm in a branch (in Alabama). Over the years it's not been uncommon for my kids to be the entire primary (we currently have 7 kids in primary and 5 are mine). We went through a time when we had 4 or less mel. priesthood holders in the area, some lived 30 min from the branch building. Our nearest ward is an hour away, it's 2 hours to the stake ctr. There was a branch about 20 min or so from us that was even smaller than we are, this branch was closed and merged with ours last Sunday. We just doubled in size and we had..... 30 or so people there Sunday. Our building maxes out at about 60 or so in attendance. We have a piano that is really a glorified keyboard and it has many of the hymns programed in, before that we did the music off of cd's.

hummmmm what else would you find visiting us that doesn't happen in a ward.....

We are on a 2 hour meeting schedule, sunday school is home study. The priesthood often use their hour to go visit inactive members, those who are sick, new move in's (usually inactive), etc. We have no missionaries. We don't have pews and a "chapel". Just one room we set up chairs and if we have an activity after we clear them and set up for the next thing.

You will also find we are a very close group. We are diverse in ethnicity. No one can visit without a proper welcome, you can't go unnoticed. We don't look like your typical ward members, for some their best isn't "typical" LDS expected.

Is it the ideal situation? I guess not........ but.... I'd raise my kids in a branch over a ward if I'm ever given the choice. We have our challenges but I prefer it.

My dad lives in a branch about 90 minutes from Las Vegas, Nevada. He is in Arizona between Kingman, AZ and Las Vegas. They have a Class A building. This is the one room meeting area with folding chairs. There are also several classrooms in the building and an office. Primary is usually in the kitchen.

Ben Raines

I don't know what I was thinking - we have branches around our ward. Sometimes couples are called to work in the branches. I'd consider that a hardship assignment. The branches are far out and we have some terrible winter weather. I wouldn't go on the highway in some of the weather we have. Shoot, I've almost gotten in accidents just going on our city streets in the snow. There were several Sundays when I wasn't sure I was going to get to Sacrament Meeting in one piece.

I don't know what I was thinking - we have branches around our ward. Sometimes couples are called to work in the branches. I'd consider that a hardship assignment. The branches are far out and we have some terrible winter weather. I wouldn't go on the highway in some of the weather we have. Shoot, I've almost gotten in accidents just going on our city streets in the snow. There were several Sundays when I wasn't sure I was going to get to Sacrament Meeting in one piece.

Well even if you made it in 2 pieces..the Lord doesn't mind. As long as you are there. :P

My smallest branch was in Harlan, KY. On my mission, this little branch barely had 20 members show up every week. Back then, the church building (a triple wide trailer) was burned down. It has since been rebuilt, but that was one of the smallest, and most emotionally volatile congregation I was ever in. (But we did baptize there!)

When I was on my mission, I was in a branch where we met in a conference room in a business office. We had no music accompanying hymns, so we just sang acapella.

Growing up, my Salt Lake stake had a branch that was basically the "old folks home." Because the members couldn't go to church, the church came to them. The sacrament was administered by a different ward's Aaronic priesthood each week.