Quakes

Spartan117

Quake hits near Washington, D.C. – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I have friends in Ohio, Virginia, Maryland, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts who all felt some effect of this quake which hit about half an hour ago.

Last night in CO ...

The largest natural earthquake in Colorado in more than a century struck Monday night in the state’s southeast corner, but there had been no reports of damage or injuries.

The quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 5.3 and centered about nine miles from the city of Trinidad, hit at 11:46 p.m. local time. It was felt as far away as Greeley, about 350 miles north, and into Kansas and New Mexico, said Julie Dutton, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

Yeah, earthquakes in the zero to 5.something range are very common daily occurances somewhere on earth. They sway a few chandeliers and make folks uneasy, but fortunately do little else. People tell me I've been through a few of them, but I can't even feel them.

You people in the Salt Lake valley are overdue for a big one - here's hoping it doesn't come.

Last report I read for the on in VA was 5.9, felt all up and the down the east coast (but not a major quake, for sure) and the one in CO was 5.3 I think but is the strongest one in a century. I know we are far and away from the earthquakes that have been nailing other countries in recent times, but I'm still not okay with just writing these off just yet.

I live in Pa. and my whole house just rocked. It hit about half an hour ago and it felt like a train just went through my backyard.

The one that hit VA seems to have been felt all over the east coast and into the midwest (a little) I'm curious to see what the final verdict will be on it's strength.

I did hear there is some concern about the monuments in Washington DC. I hear the Washinton Monument, specificlly may have had some damage.

CNN is reporting that The National Cathedral is damaged.

I'm in NC, we felt it and lots of my customers are evacuating or evacuated. We're now taking calls from our sister-center in VA because they can't go back into the building (probably just until it's inspected).

We are on call for tonight to be ready to activate if necessary. One of the numerous contracts that my company has is with the utility company in the DC and surrounding areas. We take the after hours calls for power outages, downed wires etc. If not I still have to work with our other contracts we handle during the night. Just makes a much busier night when we are activated. And the fact that I have about 30 more people to supervise. :)

My job as the supervisor is to call in to dispatch all escalated calls due to downed wires, transformers blowing etc. During storms and such it can get REALLY busy.

We do the network security and transport (pretty much we're the internet service provider) for all of the Department of Justice, Department of Treasury, and US Courts (Just to name a few of the government customers in that area) - things got really crazy really fast after the quake, but looks like lots of the places are just going home which made call volumes die down.

Hope things aren't as crazy for you, seeing as how power is more important than an internet connection.

We do the network security and transport (pretty much we're the internet service provider) for all of the Department of Justice, Department of Treasury, and US Courts (Just to name a few of the government customers in that area) - things got really crazy really fast after the quake, but looks like lots of the places are just going home which made call volumes die down.

Hope things aren't as crazy for you, seeing as how power is more important than an internet connection.

Except when the internet connection is lost due to no power. :lol: It's amazing what people take as priorities in natural disasters.

A little side line story about that. I was in Hawaii during Hurricane Iniki. We didn't have power or running water for 3 days. We had a battery operated radio so we could listen to the radio stations. People were calling in because they had lost their cable to their tv. Serious? I was sitting with 3 kids under the age of 3, with no power and no running water and people are complaining because they can't watch tv?

During one natural disaster, can't remember which one it was a few years ago, there was a prison who kept calling asking when their connection would be back up. Now, this is understandable because in a prison NO ONE can move when they can't connect to their system. Prisoners can't be let out to the yard or go to the lunchroom or anything because all of their movements are recorded. What's NOT understandable is that they kept arguing with us because we kept saying "there is no power to that entire section of the city" and they kept saying "we have power! we have power!" - come to find out they had a backup generator, but that doesn't mean their circuit will be up because the switches down the road in the telcom center didn't have power...they just couldn't wrap their heads around it.

When I managed a convenience store/gas station, the power went out in our area. We had to close the station down. People would come to pump gas and we would have to explain that the power is out. They said I know that, but I can just pay at the pump instead of in the store. Uhhh..it takes power to run the pumps. Okay then while we're waiting to be able to pump gas, we'll just go around back and wash our car...Ummmm...the car wash takes power too.

I don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

Well , I'm glad no one is hurt. I fest thought you guys would not be here , so I was happy when I fpund the forum still up. I have not been here for a long while , i will have to give you an update. The news I have now is better , I went around worried for a while. i still have not heard from some friends :( I have been getting calls , and no problems so far. A few damages structures , bo one I know is hurt....phew ,I am so glad ,here.

edit: sorry for my bad grammmer , evrty one on my lisit is fine , and I'm being told to get sleep...so glad every one here is fine. bye,bye,for now.

Edited by teddyk