I have bipolar disorder and ADHD...

RadioactiveWolfboy

I have been dealing with bipolar since I was around 7, or so I thought. Today I was diagnosed with both. I am 44 now. I was first diagnosed offficially about a year after joining the church. I suspected, went to doctor and was diagnosed and put on meds. Not having health insurance for a while made it hard to get meds and treatment. I thought when I was diagnosed at first that it sucked that I felt I had lost 20 years of my life to instablitlity, depression, anger, mania. Now I find that ADHD was also a factor. It is hard. I've been unemployed for almost a year because I can't focus at work. The illnesses cost me my job. I'm angry that this was missed, yet at the same time excited that my life may finally get on track. Mental illness is hard when all you want to do is succeed. I have so many dreams that I want to accomplish. I'm praying that these new meds are the answer on top of my regular regiment of meds. The bad thing about my illnesses is that I told the whole ward at fast and testimony. Now quite a few people won't talk to me. I just wanted them to know that you can push through struggles when fighting an illness (es) like mine, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am disabled right now, but trying to build a business. It keeps me busy and I hope to one day drop the disability. That's when I am able to get out of bed and not depressed. Hopefully the new meds work. Depression, bipolar, and adhd suck, but I have a strong testimony that my Heavenly father will take care of me and my family!! I attend church as often as able and really enjoy it. My week isn't that great if I miss. I hope that anyone with a mental illness knows that you can beat it and live a good life. My life started when I was baptised. I met an awesome missionary, married her, went back to college, and started a new business. Now we have a baby on the way.

life is always an adventure now. I may also have adhd, but life will just keep improving as long as I am strong in the gospel.

I am so sorry that some members of your ward reacted badly. Unfortunately stigma is something all of us who have mental illness have to deal with. I also want to say I am sorry that it has taken you so long to get an accurate diagnosis. In my peer-to-peer class yesterday we were talking about this very subject. I was surprised how many of my fellow students took longer than 10 years to get a good diagnosis. We have to understand that the brain is still not well understood. They don't have a blood test, or a scan that they can do to diagnose mental illness. It sux.

It took me over 3 years (possibly longer - we don't really know when it started) for them to find a 3.5 cm brain tumor! Imagine if they can't find that with the scores of CAT scans they did, then what else can they miss? The good news is, NOW you know, and hopefully they can treat it successfully.

Misdiagnoisis is so scary, especially for bipolar... it is dangerous for the patient if they mis the bi part and just say they are depressed and give them the wrong meds... mood stabilizers are so important for bipolar people - otherwise they can spin into a mania and possibly even into psychosis, which can be hard to deal with. But I bet I'm preaching to the choir on that one! Just an example of how a misdiagnosis can be dangerous...

I'm just glad that you and your doc are getting it figured out. Knowing what you are fighting is half the battle! Thank you for having the courage to speak publicly about having mental illness. Only through people like us educating those around us will we ever overcome the stigma.

"According to a rigorous health survey conducted by the CDC in 2004, an estimated 25 percent of adults in the U.S. reported having a mental illness in the previous year. Lifetime prevalence rates of mental illness in the U.S. were around 50 percent when measured back in 2004. That means in a family of four, one of you likely has a mental illness." - this is off psychcentral.com

Good luck on your journey to recovery. You are NOT alone.

I have been dealing with bipolar since I was around 7, or so I thought. Today I was diagnosed with both. I am 44 now. I was first diagnosed offficially about a year after joining the church. I suspected, went to doctor and was diagnosed and put on meds. Not having health insurance for a while made it hard to get meds and treatment. I thought when I was diagnosed at first that it sucked that I felt I had lost 20 years of my life to instablitlity, depression, anger, mania. Now I find that ADHD was also a factor. It is hard. I've been unemployed for almost a year because I can't focus at work. The illnesses cost me my job. I'm angry that this was missed, yet at the same time excited that my life may finally get on track. Mental illness is hard when all you want to do is succeed. I have so many dreams that I want to accomplish. I'm praying that these new meds are the answer on top of my regular regiment of meds. The bad thing about my illnesses is that I told the whole ward at fast and testimony. Now quite a few people won't talk to me. I just wanted them to know that you can push through struggles when fighting an illness (es) like mine, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am disabled right now, but trying to build a business. It keeps me busy and I hope to one day drop the disability. That's when I am able to get out of bed and not depressed. Hopefully the new meds work. Depression, bipolar, and adhd suck, but I have a strong testimony that my Heavenly father will take care of me and my family!! I attend church as often as able and really enjoy it. My week isn't that great if I miss. I hope that anyone with a mental illness knows that you can beat it and live a good life. My life started when I was baptised. I met an awesome missionary, married her, went back to college, and started a new business. Now we have a baby on the way.

life is always an adventure now. I may also have adhd, but life will just keep improving as long as I am strong in the gospel.

Do not worry about the people in your ward - or anywhere else that will not talk to you. Keep looking forward and get through this. All of us must face trials and problems - some seem more difficult but focusing on a comparison to anyone never helps anyone. I honor you for your achievements so far - it is important to realize how far you have come and what you have accomplished but you are not done yet. None of us are. Concentrate on getting though your trial (enduring to the end). Someday many of those in your ward that are not speaking to you now will come to you in the future for advice and help. Do not look down on them for having not spoken to you in your trial - they are dealing with their own trials and fears like you did in your past, and they will also need intelligent and enlightened help to assist them - start preparing now - for someone, you may be their last hope in this mortal life because of where you have been.

The Traveler

Long ago, the daughter would have fits "mania happy then I said no, we are not going to the store. she would then collapse onto the ground Indian style and start crying. She did this several times and I was thinking to my self "what is up with this girl". It was frustrating to say the least.

I just wish more people in the world would show more compassion to people who suffer from depression and mental illness. I know our next door neighbor had it. Wow, she was so out of it when she was not on her meds. She said the FBI and aliens are after her and showed alot of distressed emotion. She would be at the hospital for some time, then reside in the apartments. The one day, I was told she died from breast cancer. Another woman across from me was 24 years of age did not work, and carred for her daughter. She suffered from anxiety issues. One morning while I was asleep, police came to her place and she had died in the middle of the night "unknown reasons" and the ambulance took her body away.

I've never been "diagnosed" bipolar, but I suspect I am. I have periods euphoria, and spells of black despair and irrational hatred of others - like earlier this month, when I deliberately got myself banned from this forum for a week (by kicking up a fuss about something stupid that happened 6 months ago). I'm glad you've turned things around and are getting better. I hope I'll ultimately do the same. Jamie.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've been on Straterra for close to a month and my focus is a little better. Jamie, sorry to hear it. I hope you see someone as it sounds like how I felt in my teenage years and some adulthood before I got on meds. It is hard going to church on Sunday and see people who I know want nothing to do with me, but it is getting a little easier. I just keep telling myself I am going for me. I'm feeling a little better about things which is good. I lost my Grandmother a month ago and my dad just went from the hospital to a nursing home. I would be tumbling out of control were it not for the meds and my awesome wife. I am starting to build a support network and my wife is the first in it. I am doing what I need to in living the Gospel, except I need to read the scriptures more. But overall life is good.

RadioactiveWolfboy,

Don't get discouraged if the medications don't work right away. Sometimes you have to try several combinations of meds to find one that works. It takes patience, but can pay off, so don't give up! The good news is that bipolar disorder is very treatable--medications do work and can help you live a better life. If necessary, ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) can also be very helpful. It sounds scary, but works (I know someone who gets it, and swears by it ;)). But only if necessary--try medications first.

As a friend of mine says, "Better living through chemistry!" :lol:

Good luck, my friend.

HEP