Workplace related....

Backroads

A coworker (whom I have asked advice on here before) has recently told our boss she does 80% of the work in our department.

Yes, I get on the computer now and then to fiddle on such sites as here, but I don't think I spend an obscene amount of time, seemingly less than others in my office. We have no policy against it as long as our work gets done in a timely manner and volunteers get first priority.

My coworker fiddles around on the internet much more. She uses worktime for crafts. She also spends hours each day on the phone with family. I try to be sympathetic on that as her kids are quite dysfunctional.

Frankly, I'm quite comfortable in stating that I do at least as much work as she does and I'm sure quite a bit more.

I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt that this 80% refers to something other than workload. But myself and a third coworker feel rather hurt by this, that she is suggesting she slaves away while we lie around eating bonbons. I'm not even sure where this magical 80% number comes from. However, our boss (who is far too busy to constantly observe us) believes her on this assessment.

Fortunately, we have our department meeting in a couple of days where this might come up. I would love to have it explained that the 80% refers to something else (perhaps she is involved of 80% of the jobs our department is responsible for). But knowing this woman as I do, I don't think she will claim that.

I just don't want to throw a finger and say "She spends half her time making personal calls!" and sincerely hurt her or look like a tattle-tale.

Guest mormonmusic

This is something I would take up privately with your boss. I never find these group meetings work very well on sensitive issues like this. But I would go in armed with whatever data you need to shore up your case.

When I first started off in nursing I was a CNA pulling crazy hour shifts. I covered a lot for others and worked a lot of overtime as well. I had no problem doing this since I was a newlywed and my then husband was also in school, so we needed the money. My problem was with a couple girls that were also my age, that would party all weekend (whatever days those fell on) and would return to work hammered, and unable to function. As a result, I ended picking up a lot of the workload to help them get caught up because they would get so far behind on schedule.. Not really my choice, it was delegated to me by the RN on duty. It sucked. Especially since the RNs never wanted to hear you whine, they just wanted the job done, period. At a staff meeting, I tried to bring this issue up and NOTHING was accomplished. Certain individuals felt attacked and others felt it wasn't a big deal saying that everyone needs to help out where needed. So yeh, lesson learned for me. Don't bring this kind of stuff up at group meetings.. Privately, with the appropriate parties, is better.

Personally, I'd keep a list of all jobs you do, with dates and times, but only as evidence if you ever need it (I often do this out of habit anyway). Until you're called up on about it by your boss, leave the issue alone, as it may cause damage that wasn't there before. A good manager will generally be aware of who is pulling their weight and who isn't in the department, and that comment will probably have just been ignored.

I agree with Mahone... blackbook. that's what we called it. we would keep track of when supervisors screwed up (this was at the latest 911 center I worked at, which was the definition of dys-funk-shen), so that if you ever made a mistake you could pull your litte black book out and say, oh really? We kept track of coworkers mistakes so if a coworker tried to pull something on you, you could say, oh really? But this was out of absolute necessity. Everyone did it. It was a sucky place to work.

Nip it in the bud, because if you don't correct misconceptions right away, the supervisors start to take them as facts, and then if something else comes up, they already think you're the lazy one.

But I'm pretty cynical when it comes to work place issues.

Guest mirancs8

We had a group meeting once on a similar issue years ago at another company I was at and it went downhill very fast. It was the stupidest decision the supervisor made and we all lost respect for her that day.

Guest mormonmusic

I guess my first question would be, "what the heck do you care what a co-worker tells her boss about how much work she does"?

Because she's implying no one else does anything and isn't pulling their weight. Her comment besmirches the work of others in the department , and potentially can hurt their job security, performance review status (if any) and relationship with their boss.

I guess it's up to the quality of boss. Bosses hear a lot of stuff. If all it takes to have an innocent party besmirched, their job security or performance review or relationship with their boss hurt, is a bold and inflammatory claim from a co-worker, then I'm thinking Boss Problem is a bigger issue than CoWorker Problem...

Best businessworld advice I've ever received: "Nobody will ever care about your success and career as much as you do. You can't pay someone to care more."

Most of us are taught to be humble people, and tooting our own horn is not in our nature. But when it comes to careers, we have to be our own cheerleaders. Because who else will?

Funky has it right. Keep track of how you've helped the company make money, how you've improved efficiency, how you've taken on and succeeded at projects. Practice a 15-30 second delivery of the high points in front of a mirror. Make sure they get into your bosses brains around evaluation time.