Ankh here...wondering about forums vs. chat

ankh12

I am new to the site, glad to be here, but I need clarification.

I see there is a 'Forums' section which looks an awful lot like the 'Chat' section, i.e., a list of various topics, questions, comments.

To my way of thinking, a forum is a static email message based repository of postings on various topics, while a chat area including 1 or more rooms/channels/conferences where one can chat in real time, i.e., text messaging/chatting/instant messaging.

Have I misread the section labels here? Please advise!

I see there is a 'Forums' section which looks an awful lot like the 'Chat' section, i.e., a list of various topics, questions, comments.

To my way of thinking, a forum is a static email message based repository of postings on various topics, while a chat area including 1 or more rooms/channels/conferences where one can chat in real time, i.e., text messaging/chatting/instant messaging.

The main difference is how long between messages you have to wait and like what you say, with a forum it tends to be a bit more permanent and more availale to the public in general.

I dont think theres a realtime chat function anymore as it was shut down because of abuse. However occasionally during the more active times in the day the more frequented forums can have postings that go quick enough that you can almost have a realtime chat.

As has been mentioned Chat has been shut down.

Currently the links that once took a person the chat area are now being redirected to the forums... Thus they look the same because they are the same

Too bad. Why among LDS folks is chat such a forbidding, foreboding issue?

Who says it is? On this site it was shut down because people weren't following the rules and due to the way chat software was set up and the real time nature it made moderation of the chat unworkable.

Edited by Dravin

Now to make it less confusing...I was able to get it changed so that when you click on chat a pop up will come up stating that the chat feature is no longer available and redirects you to the forums.

Too bad. Why among LDS folks is chat such a forbidding, foreboding issue?

There's a scripture somewhere that says that the devil rules the chat rooms. I don't remember where it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure lots of others know I'm right.

We as Latter-day Saints are taught that "chat" is an acronym for "Children of Hell's Atheistic Timewaster". Some say it actually means "Chat - Heaven's Antipathetic Twin", but such people are apostates and should be shunned. Self-referential acronyms can lead to no good end.