FDA says HCG products are illegal

pam

FDA says HCG weight-loss products are illegal – - CNN.com Blogs

Over-the-counter HCG products being sold for weight loss are illegal and claims that the drugs work are unsubstantiated, the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers Tuesday.

HGC products are sold online and in stores as pellets, sprays or oral drops. These products are considered by the FDA to be unapproved new drugs.

I've always thought that any diet that is based on only 500 calories a day is unhealthy.

Because it is really popular. So many are abusing it though. According to the directions, you take 30 drops or 1/2 dropper full 15 minutes before you eat. You eat very little- no root vegetables, no carbs, no sodas or juices. You are only allowed 1 fruit serving (apple or orange only) a day. Use the drops for 30 days. Then for 30 days you can eat what you like. Then go back to the drops for another 30 days.

My husband has gone on this diet twice, and is now doing it again. The diet claims that by only ingesting 500 calories a day, this forces your body to use up the stored fat.

The first time he went on this diet, he injected the hCG. He did this for 6 weeks, then 'rested' for 2 weeks, then back to 6 weeks injecting. The weight he lost the first time, he put back on when he no longer could get the injections. The "Dr's" office was empty when he went to get his next vial of the stuff.

Then he found it on-line- only this time you take it orally. Did it for 3 months straight. Again he did lose weight. BUT he affected his health doing so.

When his Primary Care Dr. found out what he was doing, he told him to get off of it, and to go see the dietitian and do what she said, along with exercising. AND to get off the chips, cheese-its, soda, and canned spray cheese.

ALL the weight he lost, he put back on plus an additional 50 pounds.

A lot of people in my ward have done/are doing this with great results. But I guess there really hasn't been enough time to see if they can keep it off long-term. I was planning on trying it when I'm done breastfeeding sometime next year.

There's a doctor who advertises in LDS Living that has a practice that seems mainly for depression and that sort of thing, but when you order the CD, it slips you right into weight loss using HCG. He makes it sound like he invented it himself. I was considering it myself, but after reading more about it, it really didn't seem worth hitchhiking to Utah and going through all that.

HCG was listed as "unapproved as a weight loss supplement" in the 1970's. The FDA is restating it now because of the renewed popularity of the diet.

It should be noted that the diet was initially postulated for the mortally obese--that is, if you don't lose weight now, you'll be dead in a few months. It was intended to be monitored by a physician. Clinical trials, however, found no difference between HCG and placebo for alleviating hunger, preventing muscle loss, or self-reported discomfort. It's a complete sham, and shouldn't be used. If you want to see references, feel free to search for my previous posts on the topic.

HCG diets have become popular of late because they promise quick results without significant lifestyle change. However, without significant lifestyle change, the weight will just come back. Something that isn't well understood with HCG diets is the effect the repeated and/or long term use of the diet will have on a person's health, but it is believed that the effects will be similar to starvation and malnourishment.

If you want to lose weight, do it the right way. Exercise and control your diet.

HCG was listed as "unapproved as a weight loss supplement" in the 1970's. The FDA is restating it now because of the renewed popularity of the diet.

It should be noted that the diet was initially postulated for the mortally obese--that is, if you don't lose weight now, you'll be dead in a few months. It was intended to be monitored by a physician. Clinical trials, however, found no difference between HCG and placebo for alleviating hunger, preventing muscle loss, or self-reported discomfort. It's a complete sham, and shouldn't be used. If you want to see references, feel free to search for my previous posts on the topic.

HCG diets have become popular of late because they promise quick results without significant lifestyle change. However, without significant lifestyle change, the weight will just come back. Something that isn't well understood with HCG diets is the effect the repeated and/or long term use of the diet will have on a person's health, but it is believed that the effects will be similar to starvation and malnourishment.

If you want to lose weight, do it the right way. Exercise and control your diet.

I think somebody has some wires crossed - if HCG is a placebo then there is no reason to regulate it. One would have the same result with - say water. So we have water regulated? I do not think so.

The Traveler

This diet is dangerous, the hormone they are "injecting" does not work the way they think it does, my friend who is a fertility researcher confirmed this to me. the hormone structure is like that of insulin so when it hits the tongue its destroyed, so it cannot be taken orally to get into the body as it won't survive the trek through the digestive track, which is why there are not insulin pills. also when you have only 500 cal a day you loose muscle as well as fat which is harder to get back. the Government made a good call this one time.

FDA says HCG weight-loss products are illegal – - CNN.com Blogs

Over-the-counter HCG products being sold for weight loss are illegal and claims that the drugs work are unsubstantiated, the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers Tuesday.

HGC products are sold online and in stores as pellets, sprays or oral drops. These products are considered by the FDA to be unapproved new drugs.

I've always thought that any diet that is based on only 500 calories a day is unhealthy.

good.

MOE didn't say HCG was a placebo. MOE said that clinical trials found no difference between HCG and a placebo.

That is exactly my point. If something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and experts cannot tell the differences with a duck - then it is a duck.

If there is not something specific to demonstrate otherwise then why assume that it is different from a duck?

The Traveler

That is exactly my point. If something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and experts cannot tell the differences with a duck - then it is a duck.

If there is not something specific to demonstrate otherwise then why assume that it is different from a duck?

The Traveler

Because insufficient evidence to support a difference is not the same thing as equality.

The clinical trials showed no systematic difference between HCG and placebo in terms of weight loss or hunger. But that doesn't mean that the two weren't different in other ways that weren't measured.

Because insufficient evidence to support a difference is not the same thing as equality.

The clinical trials showed no systematic difference between HCG and placebo in terms of weight loss or hunger. But that doesn't mean that the two weren't different in other ways that weren't measured.

Pardon the engineer in me - if we are going to require over-site regulation - we should be required to demonstrate why. Which is my point. Why is the government involved is this? Why make a change that requires a person to get prescription? I see no benefit added by regulation. Help me out here.

The Traveler

The Traveler

Placebo tests only establish the effectiveness of a drug for a specific purpose: here, weight loss. This only shows that hCG doesn't do any better at weight loss than taking a dummy pill that is designed not to do anything. So, the FDA is interested in regulating hCG for two reasons: first, because it's sold as a weight loss product when it really doesn't help you lose weight (which is illegal), and second, because hCG has all sorts of other side effects and really isn't safe enough for the general public to use.

Pardon the engineer in me - if we are going to require over-site regulation - we should be required to demonstrate why. Which is my point. Why is the government involved is this? Why make a change that requires a person to get prescription? I see no benefit added by regulation. Help me out here.

The Traveler

In many ways I'm glad to see them get involved. The people who sell HCG are making millions of dollars with promises of weight loss. Sure people are losing weight. But it's not because of their product. In the tests they do nothing more than a placebo. What is hurting the consumer is the makers of this product are telling people that in order for it to work, they must restrict themselves to a 500 calorie diet. That just is not healthy.

Supposedly the HCG drops are to make up for the calories lost. What MOE is trying to say is..when testing was done between HCG and a placebo, the HCG did nothing more than what a placebo would do. It's not the drops people are losing weight from, it the 500 calorie restriction. And that is never healthy.

I don't know about the laws today, but there used to be laws about false advertisement. That's exactly what the makers of HCG are doing.

I thought the same thing about the 500 calorie diet. Then my friend went on it, and started losing in places she usually can't. Then other people followed her and experienced the same. That was my main interest in trying it. If there isn't something more to it, I don't understand how they can all go on 500 calories a day and not be hungry, and lose in stubborn places, and not pass out by day 3.

the hormone does not help you lose weight in stubborn places, it does not protect you as your on a 500 cal diet so that all you lose is fat. no you lose muscle as well as fat, you digest yourself when you are on such a little amount of calories a day (which includes your heart). HCG was conceived in the early 1950's and it went a way because it doesn't work. It has come back as an internet fad, and make no mistake it is dangerous and unhealthy. I have replicated the result of losing 2lbs a day at times on a 1500-2000 calorie diet without HCG through a moderate amount of exercise. i lost 140lbs in six months, which is an average of 1.3 lbs a day.

I thought the same thing about the 500 calorie diet. Then my friend went on it, and started losing in places she usually can't. Then other people followed her and experienced the same. That was my main interest in trying it. If there isn't something more to it, I don't understand how they can all go on 500 calories a day and not be hungry, and lose in stubborn places, and not pass out by day 3.

People can go on hunger strikes to the point of death, it takes a little while to starve yourself to death if, as with people who tend to diet, you have a spare tire, and a 1/4 day's calories to help prolong the experience.

In many ways I'm glad to see them get involved. The people who sell HCG are making millions of dollars with promises of weight loss. Sure people are losing weight. But it's not because of their product. In the tests they do nothing more than a placebo. What is hurting the consumer is the makers of this product are telling people that in order for it to work, they must restrict themselves to a 500 calorie diet. That just is not healthy.

Supposedly the HCG drops are to make up for the calories lost. What MOE is trying to say is..when testing was done between HCG and a placebo, the HCG did nothing more than what a placebo would do. It's not the drops people are losing weight from, it the 500 calorie restriction. And that is never healthy.

I don't know about the laws today, but there used to be laws about false advertisement. That's exactly what the makers of HCG are doing.

Hmmmmm - Then perhaps the government should regulate fasting?

The Traveler

The connection with government involvement in false advertising claims is less then obvious. Please explain.

I do not mind going after false advertising claims - what is the point in going after people that do not believe everything you do?

If we are going after false advertising - lets begin with politicians.

The Traveler

I do not mind going after false advertising claims - what is the point in going after people that do not believe everything you do?

If we are going after false advertising - lets begin with politicians.

The Traveler

Edit: This post is an edit, I think I may have mistaken Trav's previous comment to the quoted one as an answer to my question.

Okay, we've acknowledged the same topic, false advertising, but the connection to fasting still isn't clear. May I assume that false advertising wasn't the aspect of Pam's post you were responding to with the fasting comment?

Edited by Dravin