Anti-rape campaign that targets men

MarginOfError

Rape is not gender-biased and, therefore, not feminist. It takes on a tinge of feminism when it is treated with gender-bias.

Thanks for the clarification.

So, with further regards to my question, anytime a woman is "expected" to put up with a situation that is potentially rape, the situation does take on a gender bias?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the clarification.

So, with further regards to my question, anytime a woman is "expected" to put up with a situation that is potentially rape, the situation does take on a gender bias?

Expecting a woman to put up with a rape situation but not a man or visa versa? Gender bias. Expecting people not to put up with a rape situation. Not gender bias.

Posted Image

This whole thing seems sadly, terribly ironic.

This tactic of advocating immorality to a certain degree- have premarital sex, with your own gender if you want to, but DON'T FORCE IT- doesn't work in general. A few people who were brought up or acquired false ideas might have them corrected, but the underlying factor- an abandonment of solid moral principles- isn't addressed at all. I'm sure the campaign's creators have good intentions and some good may come from this, but when one takes a step back and views it in light of how far away our culture has strayed from the fundamental moral laws of God, it's sad.

Is this from the U.S.? I'm assuming it is.

If anything this is promoting rape. It brings up the topic, puts more thoughts into guys minds i would think.

Is this a don't ask don't tell mode of operation? Don't talk about it and it won't happen?

It's not teaching abstinence, it is assuming ppl are having sex. It is teaching without consent it's rape, it's supporting respect of your partner and that you are not entitled to sex. That's a good thing, something that many ppl still do not understand. Bringing it out of secrecy (education) is a good thing.

Refusing to admit something is a problem does not make it go away, just means you don't have to think about it. Which is never a productive solution.

Welcome to MyStrength.org

It's the brainchild of California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA).

I went to their website and looked at all the posters. One of them is the same as the "when she was drunk I backed off" but instead it says "So when she was too drunk to decide, I decided we shouldn't" I like the second one better.

Even though I know the discussion has been about how it focuses on men and not rape over all I still think it's a good effort. I appreciate and like how they are focused on the strength men have.

They have a "tell us your thoughts" section on the left for those that would like to see them come up with other campaigns to focus on other kinds of rape. Being a coalition against sexual assault I would hope they would welcome the ideas.

I still think the posters do more good than harm. At least there is an appeal to morality. They would be better if they included gender-neutral appeals, and if they encouraged chasity. On the other hand, perhaps because my expectations of our culture are quite low, I am still more happy than not with this campaign.