Anti-rape campaign that targets men

MarginOfError

okay, anatess, is this what you're saying?

Create an psa movement that addresses the cruelty of rape in its entirity.

I think the communication problem is that some of us are interpreting your words as downplaying the severity of what these ads do mention.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING!

Then silent victims of rape can be included in that definition of RAPE and can get relief!!!

And that's what I got from... was it Vort's?... post (the feminist ideology one)... when he said that the ad is not about rape but about feminism because if it was about rape, then it will encompass gender-less rape. Look, even the title of this thread says the same thing - targets men... well, what about the women?

The inclusion of the gay couple adds salt to the scratch, you know? Because gays get addressed now - because they get raped by men too. Do you understand why I say this?

I believe that an ad about RAPE should not target a specific gender. It gives a skewed perception of what constitutes rape.

Edited by anatess

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, instead of me just criticizing the ad, let me offer a better ad:

Keep the ad as it is... then have a companion ad running - addressing women with the slogan... Women can stop rape.

That would be cool. It's kinda like the Cadillac CTS ad - they got a woman driving the CTS in one ad, then another ad running at the same time showing a guy driving the CTS. The message - Cadillac CTS is a car that is both attractive to men and women as opposed to the Ford F-150 that mainly just shows working men... or something to that effect.

Edited by anatess

OK...Anatess has a point. According to the following link in 1991 20,000 men were raped in the U.S. It also said that in Orange County 8% of rape victims were men. Finally, the majority of male victims were molested by women, not gay men.

List of Rape Myths

The % of men victimized may be much lower, but those who are find little recourse. They are often humiliated if they do attempt to report, and most probably do not report at all, out of shame.

Because it's still addressing that men are responsible for rape and it suggests to you they are the only possibility. Gotcha.

I just interpreted the campaign as addressing a serious problem (there's a significantly greater amount of men that rape than women) which happened to be male-focused. I took the campaign for what it was.

WHEW! I really really need to work on the English language as a way to bring what is in my head to somebody else's head. Sometimes, I get too comfortable because I know my subjects to my predicates and completely miss how both of them go together to create a sentence that accurately expresses what I'm trying to say...

I'm more than super grateful to you guys for being patient with me!

... I guess I figured whining about their point was equivalent to knocking "Save the Pandas" because other animals are also endangered.

Good point!

I'm more in the line of thinking that they are saying Save the Pandas but they only address Australian Pandas and not Chinese Pandas...

WHEW! I really really need to work on the English language as a way to bring what is in my head to somebody else's head. Sometimes, I get too comfortable because I know my subjects to my predicates and completely miss how both of them go together to create a sentence that accurately expresses what I'm trying to say...

I'm more than super grateful to you guys for being patient with me!

Hey, we love you.

I showed this ad to a friend of mine and she said the same thing. She said she doesn't like the slogan Men Can Stop Rape. She said it would be more appropriate to have the slogan, "You Can Stop Rape".

That's actually brilliant!

Posted Image

Truly brilliant.

I showed this ad to a friend of mine and she said the same thing. She said she doesn't like the slogan Men Can Stop Rape. She said it would be more appropriate to have the slogan, "You Can Stop Rape".

Ok so I actually like the "You can stop rape" change. But I didn't see the slogan line as the "men can stop rape" so much as focused on the "My strength is not for hurting"

So to make this add "perfect" it should be something like..... "my love is my strength" (I'm sure there is something better, I'm not in advertising lol) at the top and "you can stop rape" at the bottom. Then the upper left corner one should say "when he changed his mind i stopped" (because we don't want to support the stereotype that men don't change their mind). the upper right should be two women with the line it already has. Bottom left needs a better pic but is fine. Bottom right is good.

Does that cover all the possibilities? No agenda other than rape and politically correct for all relationships and situations? lol

What's so brilliant about that? It fails to address the 144 people in solitary confinement who will never have to opportunity to stop anything!

:D:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

By the way, while you have mastered your subjects and predicates and work on putting them together...what on earth is a predicate!? :lol:

As long as we're all giving in to our "I couldn't resists," the truly brilliant campaign slogan is decades old...TRUE LOVE WAITS. Of course, pop culture probably believes that one somehow contradicts the separation of church and state, which they are convinced is found somewhere in the Bill of Rights. :::sigh:::

By the way, while you have mastered your subjects and predicates and work on putting them together...what on earth is a predicate!? :lol:

What? You didn't have to do the S-P, S-P-DO, S-P-DO-IO stuff? And you call yourselves English speaking?

:D:D:D

... I guess I figured whining about their point was equivalent to knocking "Save the Pandas" because other animals are also endangered.

Not at all. Rather, the "whining" about the ad campaign was that (1) I didn't believe it would be effective in reducing rape, and (2) that it primarily serves to foster an anti-male, feminist attitude toward sexuality in general and rape in specific by portraying men as rapists needing to be educated how to control the use of their genitals. Not to deny that this is exactly the case for some men -- but such men are not going to refuse to rape their dates because a poster they saw said it was bad. So ultimately, I think the only way the ad campaign is likely to be effective is in inculcating a feminist attitude toward men, sex, and rape.

Not at all. Rather, the "whining" about the ad campaign was that (1) I didn't believe it would be effective in reducing rape, and (2) that it primarily serves to foster an anti-male, feminist attitude toward sexuality in general and rape in specific by portraying men as rapists needing to be educated how to control the use of their genitals. Not to deny that this is exactly the case for some men -- but such men are not going to refuse to rape their dates because a poster they saw said it was bad. So ultimately, I think the only way the ad campaign is likely to be effective is in inculcating a feminist attitude toward men, sex, and rape.

I completely agree, 100%.

Has anyone here ever made a major lifestyle change due to a commercial they saw, or a poster, or an insert in the newspaper? Any crises resolved? Any crossroads in life resolved?

YES, absolutely YES! The Anti-smoking campaign that began in the 60s took a generation to take hold. Today, smoke in public and be prepared for unkind rebukes.
Ok - one response - that had to reach back 50 years for a valid example.

When I looked back into my own past, I had to reach back to the Reagan "what if there is a bear" campaign commercial from three decades ago.

When you consider the billions of dollars spent on ad campaigns every year, and the abysmally low impact people are talking about here, perhaps y'all can see why I'm not too excited about this story. Except for a few statistically insignificant anecdotes, ad campaigns tend to fail abysmally at whatever they're trying to do.

(My gripe doesn't have anything to do with the validity of the message, of course.)

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

it primarily serves to foster an anti-male, feminist attitude toward sexuality in general and rape in specific by portraying men as rapists needing to be educated how to control the use of their genitals. Not to deny that this is exactly the case for some men -- but such men are not going to refuse to rape their dates because a poster they saw said it was bad. So ultimately, I think the only way the ad campaign is likely to be effective is in inculcating a feminist attitude toward men, sex, and rape.

Actually, I really do believe that men who are completely unaware that such behavior is NOT OKAY might be informed, and I suppose this poster would be one way to do it.

And what, exactly, is a "feminist attitude toward men, sex, and rape"?

Edited by Backroads

The prevailing mindset that a lot of women hold until today that "men are pigs" or some such.

I'm going to need more detail than that. "Men are pigs" is a very vague statement. When Vort included men, sex, and rape--three things--my first reaction is that a non-feminist attitude would be some appeasing attitude to all three.

To bring up literature, Tess of the D'Ubervilles and her fellow characters spent an entire book blaming her for getting raped. There's also the idea of "It's not rape if you're married, it's your job".

I'm going to need more detail than that. "Men are pigs" is a very vague statement. When Vort included men, sex, and rape--three things--my first reaction is that a non-feminist attitude would be some appeasing attitude to all three.

To bring up literature, Tess of the D'Ubervilles and her fellow characters spent an entire book blaming her for getting raped. There's also the idea of "It's not rape if you're married, it's your job".

No, this goes beyond rape to the nature of the male species. "Men are pigs" is a stab against men as the type to think with their genitals.

Granted the feminist movement was started to bring women to equal standing with men. But just like any other movement against inequality, it starts to over-compensate and swing the inequality to the other side the longer it remains active. There are times when the tactic to bring equality is to bring the stronger side down to a weak position, almost subservient position.

It has become such that the feminist movement has started to swing to the over-compensation side so that women are inculcated with the idea that... well, men are pigs.

Okay, let's bring this back to a more rational position. If you go with the education system - it is geared more towards the female way of learning than the male - that is easily accomplished because culturally, there are 10 female teachers to 1 male teacher. So that, academically, the boys have a tougher hurdle than the girls. Nobody addresses this problem because - there's no "male movement" and the feminist movement are just fine with this situation.

When you go to a backyard or church basketball game, you can find women playing with the men. If the men protest and refuse to let the woman join in they're sexists. But if a man knocks the woman down on the way to the basket he's violent.

If a woman has an abortion - it is her body. Dad cannot force her to have or not have the baby. If the woman carries the child - dad gets to pay whether he wanted the child or not.

In a divorce - children goes to the mother and she can alienate the father easily. A father has to fight tooth and nail to get to see his children for more than every other weekend even when the mother is ill equipped to keep the children.

This goes with sexuality too. If a woman makes a come-on amid a man's protest it is a turn-on, if a man makes a come-on amid a woman's protest it is rape. A woman cries rape against a man, she is heard, because it has been culturally established that men have little control over their genitals. A man cries out rape against a woman, he can't be serious.

So, the feminist movement is great as it has brought a lot of good to women's suffrage, equal pay, etc. etc. But, it also brought on a dark side to it.

It is not rocket science that when faced with an ad like this one, somebody somewhere is going to point out its contribution to the dark side of the feminist movement.

Edited by anatess

My confusion stems from the fact that everyone is calling the adds feminist and that feminism is bad all in the same breath/swipe of keyboard.

So which of these is the bad feminist idea?

1. The fact that situations were presented as negative.

2. The fact the campaign is geared toward men.

Everything's been jumbled together.

My confusion stems from the fact that everyone is calling the adds feminist and that feminism is bad all in the same breath/swipe of keyboard.

So which of these is the bad feminist idea?

1. The fact that situations were presented as negative.

2. The fact the campaign is geared toward men.

Everything's been jumbled together.

Feminist is only bad if instead of promoting equality by strengthening the woman, it promotes equality by weakening the man as I presented in my previous post. It's that over-compensation thing I talked about in my previous post.

It's the same with racial equality. Of course, Black liberation movement is generally a good thing. But, it becomes bad when you over-compensate. For example: In today's environment, enforcing penalties for universities that discriminate against an application due to a racial profile is a very good thing. But, lowering the SAT Score requirement for college entry for black people is over-compensation, and is a bad racial liberation idea. It does not promote equality.

Rape is not gender-biased and, therefore, not feminist. It takes on a tinge of feminism when it is treated with gender-bias. It becomes a bad feminist ideology when the impression is established that men are the only perpetrators of rape - it weakens the male cultural image. This is kinda like racial profiling in the racial equality side of things.

It becomes a bad feminist ideology when the impression is established that men are the only perpetrators of rape - it weakens the male cultural image. This is kinda like racial profiling in the racial equality side of things.

Sort of a kinder, gentler version of the infamous posters that used to pop up on college campuses with a few (male) names taken at random from the student directory superimposed on the warning of "Potential Rapist" in large letters?

I generally don't have a problem with the posters in the OP here; but I can see how they would bug some people.

As I think back to my teenage years I remember a movie I saw "The Way We Were" in the movie, the girl go to bed with a man she has long adored when he is drunk. She cuddles up to him and they have sex. But yet, in many peoples mine this is not rape... because he enjoyed it, though he knew nothing of it and most likely thought he was just dreaming. When I was growing up I heard of this sort of think happening a lot. The girl wanted the guy so she got him drunk then had his child and so got him... or she got pregnant and got to leave home and get on welfare. I took a psychology class once and we talked about this and the professor said that it is believed that women to men rape is much more prevalent but is also much more under reported because of the stigma attached to it. So yeah, I agree that this also needs to be dealt with and not just swept into a convenient closet.