Anti-rape campaign that targets men

MarginOfError

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be interesting to see if it gets results. Though it leaves me wondering what guy is gonna see something like that and have an epiphany.

P.S. Does the gay couple's photo just look dark to anyone else? Between the heavy shadows, the dark blue shirt and the darker (compared to the other photos) background it looks odd compared to the others which are comparatively bright. Seems to me putting Mr. Brown in a dark shirt and Mr. White in a light blue shirt may have caused some exposure (or post processing) issues.

A friend of mine posted something like this on Facebook a while back.

It is the same thing they tell women, i.e., have men travel in twos or more, an if one of them feels like they are going to rape a woman, their friends can stop them. Or if they see a woman in a dark place, they won't rape her. Or if a woman is wearing a tank top, they won't rape her.

I really like the idea that men can be in charge of their own sexuality and that they can control their own thoughts. I know we teach our daughters to dress modest ect...it would be nice if we taught our sons not to view women as sex objects, no matter what they are wearing.

How is this brilliant? I mean, if it stops one rape it's money well spent, but I don't see the brilliance, or even much in the way of effectiveness...

The brilliance is in putting a campaign out that makes the case that men can stop rape, too. It's a subtle difference between

"When a woman says no, a man should stop"

and

"When my woman says no, I stop."

Personalizing and popularizing the empowerment of men to stop rape is not something we've seen much of.

I think this is awesome. SO SO much of the "rape prevention" stuff that's currently out there is on what a WOMAN can do to reduce her risks of being raped. I deeply appreciate that they're finally addressing the MEN'S choice of actions as well (since the vast majority of the time, it's men who are doing the raping - although of course not ALL men ;) )

I don't understand why it's brilliant any more than the previous campaigns on date rape. How else do you stop date rape of a woman other than have the men stop? Isn't it kinda well known by now?

What would be brilliant is if they actually realize that men can get raped too - and I don't mean raped by other men.

Believe it or not, there are males out there who don't always get that their actions are technically rape.

Yup. I remember overhearing a conversation in HS between two boys, lamenting the fact that they'd missed a party where a "hot" girl one of them was interested in had gotten extremely drunk to the point of passing out. He felt like he'd missed his chance to [expletive] her.

Yup. I remember overhearing a conversation in HS between two boys, lamenting the fact that they'd missed a party where a "hot" girl one of them was interested in had gotten extremely drunk to the point of passing out. He felt like he'd missed his chance to [expletive] her.

Sad that some guys feel like that was a missed chance. Educate all of them, weather they think they need need it or not, guys & girls!

I don't understand why it's brilliant any more than the previous campaigns on date rape. How else do you stop date rape of a woman other than have the men stop? Isn't it kinda well known by now?

What would be brilliant is if they actually realize that men can get raped too - and I don't mean raped by other men.

I agree with you on the second one, but you can only cram so many ideas into one campaign.

As for the first thing, yes, most people are aware the bigscarywickedevil men shouldn't rape women. What a lot of people are NOT aware of that not listening to "no" is still rape. There's all sort of excuses: She was drunk, we were dating/married, she was playing hard to get, sheer stupidity to not read emotions.

Men who want to rape their dates will not be deterred by a four-color poster telling them not to.

As true as that statement is, men who want to rape their dates* aren't the likely audience of this campaign. The target audience is probably men who haven't developed strong feelings on the topic.

An analogy might be an anti-smoking campaign. Men who have decided to smoke cigarettes won't be deterred by a four-color poster telling them not to. However, men who haven't yet made the decision about whether or not to smoke cigarettes might be deterred; men who have never found themselves in a position where they've been offered a cigarette and haven't thought about how they will respond should the offer occur might be deterred.

The fact that the posters can't dissuade the people determined to perform the act anyway doesn't render the entire campaign useless.

In particular, young men who haven't come into their sexuality yet (ie, teenagers) can develop an attitude that they can prevent rape by respecting their partners and, in general, not being jerks.

*and by this I am inferring "men who have decided they will rape their dates" or "men who have decided that under the conditions on those posters they are entitled to sex"

I didn't see it so much as targeting violent rapists that has decided to do something. It's geared toward the guys that don't realize that drunk impairs ability to consent and therefore makes it rape. Pushing yourself on another is rape. They don't have to scream and yell (if you are in a relationship they probably won't) or fight back (and sometimes actually say "no" for it to be rape. Even in a relationship it can be rape. A lot of ppl don't get that. That was the message I saw in the add.

I didn't see it so much as targeting violent rapists that has decided to do something. It's geared toward the guys that don't realize that drunk impairs ability to consent and therefore makes it rape. Pushing yourself on another is rape. They don't have to scream and yell (if you are in a relationship they probably won't) or fight back (and sometimes actually say "no" for it to be rape. Even in a relationship it can be rape. A lot of ppl don't get that. That was the message I saw in the add.

Exactly.

No, this won't stop your evil serial rapists but it will hopefully lead to awareness to the nature of the full spectrum of rape.

I didn't see it so much as targeting violent rapists that has decided to do something. It's geared toward the guys that don't realize that drunk impairs ability to consent and therefore makes it rape.

When was the last time you saw a woman convicted -- heck, charged -- with rape for having sex with her drunken boyfriend?

When was the last time you saw a woman convicted -- heck, charged -- with rape for having sex with her drunken boyfriend?

Yes, Vort! This is really sad. It's even more rampant in the workplace where men are sexually harrassed and women get away with it by virtue of them being women...

My point is: If we're trying to educate men not to have sex with drunken women because it's "rape" even if they say "yes" (because they can't legally consent), is it not still rape when women bed drunken men? (Answer: Yes.) Then why isn't that part of the campaign? (Answer: Because the campaign is not about preventing rape; it's about furthering feminist ideology, which denies the very possibility of a female raping a male.)

My point is: If we're trying to educate men not to have sex with drunken women because it's "rape" even if they say "yes" (because they can't legally consent), is it not still rape when women bed drunken men? (Answer: Yes.) Then why isn't that part of the campaign? (Answer: Because the campaign is not about preventing rape; it's about furthering feminist ideology, which denies the very possibility of a female raping a male.)

Wow. That's a pretty twisted interpretation of the campaign.

Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you that any rape is bad no matter the gender. You will hear no complaints from me.

Yes, I think the campaign should have included a woman-to-man poster.

But to suggest the campaign as it stands ONLY furthers feminist idealogy is just evil. I interpreted what you said as that only bad extreme feminists are against rape. So the campaign isn't as complete as we would all like it to be. But I highly doubt it's only feminists who are in support of the idea that the aforementioned situations are not okay.

But to suggest the campaign as it stands ONLY furthers feminist idealogy is just evil. I interpreted what you said as that only bad extreme feminists are against rape. So the campaign isn't as complete as we would all like it to be. But I highly doubt it's only feminists who are in support of the idea that the aforementioned situations are not okay.

I don't think that's what he meant Backroads. Okay, I'm not going to speak for Vort, but my initial reaction to the ad was - they got men and gays admonitioned to take responsibility for rape prevention and once again the women go scott-free. If I was a male victim of rape (and I heard of a big muscular guy who got gang raped by a bunch of college women with the aid of some drug) and I see that ad it would, once again, contribute to the feeling of being ignored and unvalidated and my conclusion would be that the ad ONLY addresses feminist ideology. And no, feminist ideology is not only supported by feminists - they're supported by non-feminists as well - doesn't stop it from being a feminist ideology... make sense?

Being against raping women in no way implies that the ads are ok with men being raped. In fact it did address male rape of males. Ok so encourage them to make another ad specifically against women raping men. No big deal to do that and cover all adults. Now how about raping children or teens?

Any ad encouraging and informing people of what is rape is good.

Lets cheer for the positive and push for more. :)

Being against raping women in no way implies that the ads are ok with men being raped. In fact it did address male rape of males. Ok so encourage them to make another ad specifically against women raping men. No big deal to do that and cover all adults. Now how about raping children or teens?

Any ad encouraging and informing people of what is rape is good.

Lets cheer for the positive and push for more. :)

I agree with you, Anne.

My only point was that I didn't find it brilliant. Because it's been done before. I would have found it brilliant if they turned on some lightbulbs and "pushed for more".

I guess I just can't get as excited about an ad campaign as many of the rest of you.

Maybe I just never heard any success stories. Has anyone here ever made a major lifestyle change due to a commercial they saw, or a poster, or an insert in the newspaper? Any crises resolved? Any crossroads in life resolved?

What's the biggest impact y'all have had, due to an advertisement?