Is Watching or Playing Sports on the Sabbath O.K.?

Carl62

Do we really believe that we'll keep company with them who were meek and submissive and obeyed the Lord every whit? The wise virgins were busy filling their lamps while the foolish virgins slept.

Although I understand and completely agree with the first portion of your comment, my foolish virgin side wants to come out and play. ;)

EDIT: Steve Young was a Sabbath breaker for fourteen seasons in the NFL. Yet, the Church doesn't seem to be bothered by his choice, as he has served the church in films, and other events, not to mention he actually has an article in the New Era and has been mentioned a number of times in the Churches Ensign.

There has only been one person on this earth who has been "meek and submissive and obeyed the Lord every whit" and he is my advocate.

As pertaining to others, they need him just as much as I do. I will be in good company.

Edited by Anddenex

Let me rephrase this to say to have a powerful desire to be meek and submissive and obey the Lord every whit. This powerful desire to be obedient, cheerfully submissive as a small child is what Alma describes as having a mighty change of heart. It is what King Benjamin describes as putting off the natural man. This is when you have finally put all your own desires and lusts behind you and are reborn. This is when you partake of the fruit of the tree of life, being God's love, which fills you constantly. This is the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit and not just an occasional companionship when we are occasionally obedient. For a very few it happens when we receive the Holy Ghost at confirmation. For the vast majority, it happens some time later in life when they make that conscious decision to put off the natural man and feel that charity/peace/burning in the bosom that does not depart from you.

Edited by skalenfehl

It's between you and your maker (rumor has it that Jesus is a raiders fan)

Just sayin

If Jesus is a Raiders fan how come they haven't won the Superbowl in almost 30 years?????????:D Just a little too much free agency IMNSHO.:P

Part of keeping the Sabbath holy is rest. God rested on the 7th day.

If there is some form of relaxation that is restful to you, I don't see any problem with whatever it is.

My personal answer and view with which I feel comfortable:

I am not an athlete. I rarely play sports.

But I have no problem with the concept of watching/playing sports on the Sabbath. I actually SUPPORT playing sports on the Sabbath because in my mind it gets people out together celebrating the beauty of God's creation and participating in an activity.

I believe this comes from my Camp Bartlett staff days where weekends were our days off and a time to do stuff without Scouts around. We would go for hikes, go swimming, organize crazy games of frisbee, etc. Often these activities happened on Sunday as well as Saturday--in fact, a few summers an after-church hike was tradition. And camp is a place where I felt very close to God (something about being surrounded by nature). So I guess sports-like activities and the appropriateness of the Sabbath became connected in my mind.

Coming late to the party, but I'll throw my two cents in.

My usual response to these kinds of questions is "It's between you and the Lord," but I can appreciate the criticisms that such a response is an inadequate answer. Perhaps the response should be, "It's between you and the Lord, but let's talk about the principles involved so you can be better equipped to make your decision."

So here are the principles of the Sabbath that are, to me, the most important (these principles will probably vary from person to person)

• It is a day to rest from our labors
  • It is a day to renew our covenants and specifically devote some of our time to worship
  • It is a day to do good and to do service
  • It is a day to reconnect with our families and friends and improve our relationships with them

So would I find playing a sport to be a violation of the Sabbath? Depends on the circumstances. A one time game with some friends that I don't get to see often is probably okay since it gives me an opportunity to build those relationships. A regularly scheduled game of frisbee probably isn't; developing healthy and lasting relationships usually requires a variety of activities.. Participating in a competitive league wouldn't fly with me; strict competition seems antithetical to the spirit of the Sabbath in my opinion.

Would I watch sports on the Sabbath? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I don't like the idea of doing it every Sunday. But I also get to see my family throughout the week. If Sunday afternoon were the only time I'd get to see them and the football game was the best way of getting my kids to spend time with me, I'd be more likely to do it. But watching weekly because I'm a superfan and the team needs my support every Sunday doesn't feel like honoring the Sabbath to me.

And in most cases, if I'm missing church because I can't stand the thought of missing the kickoff, I would suspect my priorities are out of order (though there may be the occasional exception, I don't know).

In any case, I try not to make too many general statements about it and prefer to take each instance as it comes. If there's a game I am dying to watch, I weigh my reasons for wanting to watch it against the principles of keeping the Sabbath holy. If I feel good about watching/playing, I do. If I don't feel good, I don't.

I grew up with a tradition of going to Grandma's house on Sundays for ice cream and time with extended family. Us kids would either spend a fair amount of time playing kick ball or wiffle-ball in the summer or sledding and general playing in the snow in the winter. I never felt there was anything inappropriate about it because it was a bonding activity.

My Bishop from years ago. In Palmdale Ca. George Busby, played softball on a team. He was a pitcher, and is still well known in the area, for being one of the best that has ever played the game. The rest of the team were members of our church also. They would not play on Sunday. So they forfeited all the Sunday games. Fortunately they played so well that it didn't effect their standings in the league.

There is nothing wrong with a friendly game of baseball, football or what ever among friends on a Sunday. But we should refrain from playing organized sports on Sunday. Brother Ray.

Presiding Bishop H. David Burton said: “Now, I know it’s hard, particularly for our young people, to choose to observe the Sabbath day when athletic teams on which they so much want to participate regularly schedule games on Sunday. I too know it seems trivial to many who are in need of just a few items on the Sabbath to quickly stop at a convenience store to make a Sunday purchase. But I also know that remembering to keep the Sabbath day holy is one of the most important commandments we can observe in preparing us to be the recipients of the whisperings of the Spirit” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1998, 9; or Ensign, Nov. 1998, 9).

President Spencer W. Kimball taught: “The Sabbath is a holy day in which to do worthy and holy things. Abstinence from work and recreation is important, but insufficient. The Sabbath calls for constructive thoughts and acts, and if one merely lounges about doing nothing on the Sabbath, he is breaking it. To observe it, one will be on his knees in prayer, preparing lessons, studying the gospel, meditating, visiting the ill and distressed, writing letters to missionaries, taking a nap, reading wholesome material, and attending all the meetings of that day at which he is expected” (Ensign, Jan. 1978, 4).

President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “Let the Latter-day Saints be in their homes, teaching their families, reading the scriptures, doing things that are wholesome and beautiful and communing with the Lord on the Sabbath day” (“Excerpts from Recent Addresses of President Gordon B. Hinckley,” Ensign, July 1996, 73).

And if we read in the Book of Mormon we will read that the converted Nephites and Lamanites devoted themselves to much fasting and praying. And when Christ visited them and gave them the law of the Sabbath, they observed it. For three generations, anyway.

I'm pretty good at the taking a nap part. Brother Ray

Although I understand and completely agree with the first portion of your comment, my foolish virgin side wants to come out and play. ;)

EDIT: Steve Young was a Sabbath breaker for fourteen seasons in the NFL. Yet, the Church doesn't seem to be bothered by his choice, as he has served the church in films, and other events, not to mention he actually has an article in the New Era and has been mentioned a number of times in the Churches Ensign.

There has only been one person on this earth who has been "meek and submissive and obeyed the Lord every whit" and he is my advocate.

As pertaining to others, they need him just as much as I do. I will be in good company.

If you absolutely can't get out of working on a Sunday, perhaps you might lose your job, if you don't. Then it is Okay to work Sundays. Playing in the NFL was Steve Young's job. Brother Ray