Question about Wearing garments while paintballing

Eleven

Hey guys,

simple question: What's your opinion about wearing/not wearing garments while paintballing.:confused:

Ive only always worn them while paintballing because i feel a little weird without them, but i HATE that the paint ALWAYS seeps through my shirts and stains my garments.

also, it gets extremely hot running around with all those layers..

so what do you think? Im a fairly young endowed and married member of the church, so i dont exactly know the do's and donts of garments. ive heard the "three S's" talk, dont wear them during sports swimming and shower, but i know some members feel they should wear them during sports anyways.

ps please dont only give the answer "its your personal opinion" because im asking for yours. Ill use your opinion/ info and a prayer to figure whats best. my biggest complaint is the stains..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps please dont only give the answer "its your personal opinion" because im asking for yours. Ill use your opinion/ info and a prayer to figure whats best. my biggest complaint is the stains..

Okay, I'll give you this one instead:

D&C 58:26

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

However, let's be fair - you're asking for opinions. My opinion is that paintballing can be considered an outdoor activity very similar to sports... therefore the wearer can make the decision based on that information. :)

I've paintballed before but usually had extra clothing on for protection. If it was me, I'd keep my "painted" garments and wear them again next time you go paintballing. Just wash and keep them as clean as you can and otherwise wear your normal, clean garments at all other times (except swimming, etc of course). My two cents.

If the paint was staining my garments I'd feel comfortable going without. If the color was leeching through but it came out in the wash then I'd feel find wearing them and then making sure they got washed well. As far as them being uncomfortably hot, I've never really run into a situation where my garments were the line between comfort or being extremely hot. If I was running around getting all heated up playing paintball I don't think shedding my garments would be leaving me significantly less overheated. I'm sure there is a situation where such is the case but personally, unless we're talking about risking heat stroke by keeping them on I'd be inclined to keep them on. This holds true for things like pick-up games of basketball or football, the only sport I remove the garment for really is swimming.

Edited by Dravin

That's a good idea to have a pair of garments reserved strictly for paintballing. But if you don't want to see your garments stained and possibly permanently stained, then don't wear them when you're paintballing.

I have a question for those who think keeping a pair of stained ones to continue wearing: We are instructed to (I don't remember the exact words) to keep our garments clean and treat them respectfully, how are stained garments ok? I don't mean this to sound judgmental because I do think this issue is however one decides is between himself and God, but I'm trying to see how garments that are stained aren't against our instructions on treatment of garments.

I have a question for those who think keeping a pair of stained ones to continue wearing: We are instructed to (I don't remember the exact words) to keep our garments clean and treat them respectfully, how are stained garments ok? I don't mean this to sound judgmental because I do think this issue is however one decides is between himself and God, but I'm trying to see how garments that are stained aren't against our instructions on treatment of garments.

Could it be as simple as determining what is more important? Wearing garments or not wearing them due to the possibility of them becoming stained? Just thinking out loud.

I agree with beefche. In my mind, keeping a set of "paintball garments" is lowering garments to the level of "any old underwear". Yes, we are commanded to wear the garment day and night with some exceptions, and to me respecting the garment is not getting it paint-stained. That, to me, outweighs the constant wearing.

I have had garments stained by motor oil and grease from working on cars. I have had garments stained by foodstuffs or other products that accidentally get on them. I have had garments stained by underarm deodorants or body oils. I have had garments stained by being washed with something red. Garments get stained by all sorts of things. It's part and parcel of being white underwear.

My understanding of the description was that paintballing could leave some stains that would take several washings to wash out. Well, if this bothers you and you don't want to wash your underwear several times, just keep one pair for paintballing. Such faint paint stains would be no different in principle from oil stains gotten from working on your car or any of the other stains mentioned above. It would be the same as keeping a pair of oil-changing garments, if you're prone to getting oil all over your clothes when you change the oil. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I have had garments stained by motor oil and grease from working on cars. I have had garments stained by foodstuffs or other products that accidentally get on them. I have had garments stained by underarm deodorants or body oils. I have had garments stained by being washed with something red. Garments get stained by all sorts of things. It's part and parcel of being white underwear.

My understanding of the description was that paintballing could leave some stains that would take several washings to wash out. Well, if this bothers you and you don't want to wash your underwear several times, just keep one pair for paintballing. Such faint paint stains would be no different in principle from oil stains gotten from working on your car or any of the other stains mentioned above. It would be the same as keeping a pair of oil-changing garments, if you're prone to getting oil all over your clothes when you change the oil. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Excellent post.

Yeh I've washed and folded garments before when I've done home-care and unless you open a new pack of pearly white garments every week or so - there's just no way to avoid from getting them stained, be it by food or body oils, or whatever.

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciated it all except skippys scripture.. highly doubt the want to understand how to respect the temple garment during a certain activity could be put in the same category as needing to be "compelled" in all things lol.. thanks for the wisdom pal..

But anyways, I've always worn my garments during sports like soccer, ultimate frisbee, baseball, etc because im not pro enough to say "this restricting my game". Whoever commented that garments shouldn't make you sweat anymore than without them, it honestly depends on the day, type of garment, and how much you

Run. But I live in Arizona where its climbing to the 100s and beyond lol. But like I said, that's not really the reason at all its purposely going to an activity fully aware that your garment will be unnaturally stained( as opposed to body oils) that my question derived from.

My mind seems to be directing me to either having a certain pair of paintball garments or not wearing them for th

e activity.

The two best and opposing statements putting me on the fence are the two:

"Dont have a pair designated to be stained because then the mentality of "ordinary undies " comes into play, and the last mods statement of going to work and getting motor oil on them at work everyday.

Great personal opinions and to me both are right in their respective ways. Thanks for the input guys, ill speak with my wife and come to a conclusion

Edited by skippy740
Please refer to garments by their proper name, not "g's".

Whoever commented that garments shouldn't make you sweat anymore than without them, it honestly depends on the day, type of garment, and how much you

If that whoever is me, I didn't make such a comment. I said I've never had the situation where the garment was the line between being comfortable and being extremely hot.

I think I'm a little 'touchy' today, but I do have a request for the thread:

Please stop calling garments "g's". They are Garments of the Holy Priesthood and would request that you at least call them garments.

How we refer and treat the garment is a representation of how we view and treat our temple covenants.

Thank you.

I admit to calling them "g's" on my mission. My trainer heard me and corrected me. He reminded me that they were Garments of the Holy Priesthood and that we should always refer to them as such. As you can tell, I've never forgotten that lesson - of reverence and respect for our temple clothes and covenants.

[i also admit that I have a headache today. And I fully deserve the comment that Eleven made about the scripture. I would've told me the same thing.:) ]

I'm still too young to be wearing garments, but this thread makes me wonder - if garments are sacred, etc., why should sports be an excuse to forget them? Many other things can get them dirty or damaged anyway.

You bring up an interesting question. Now, for full disclosure, I'm not into sports at ALL. So for me, this doesn't seem to apply to my lifestyle at all.

The first time I heard of someone not wearing their garment for sports was Steve Young... and I think it was the 60-minutes interview with Mike Wallace. I think he removes them to show reverence for the garment. I don't think it's to prevent damage (although garments are more expensive than underwear you buy at the store).

Just my own thoughts.

[i also admit that I have a headache today. And I fully deserve the comment that Eleven made about the scripture. I would've told me the same thing.:) ]

YUCK, OUCH! I was going to make a silly comment about cranky moderators, but as a person who gets migraine's, I sympathize for those suffering from headaches. I shall figuratively hold my tongue :(

I'll go with that, thank-you.

I guess I spoke from the perspective of one who just never gets into situations where my garments are at risk of being stained (no kids, don't work on cars). That does make sense.

I'm still too young to be wearing garments, but this thread makes me wonder - if garments are sacred, etc., why should sports be an excuse to forget them? Many other things can get them dirty or damaged anyway.

The way I understand it is A) the running around and sweating is too much for something sacred or B ) the sports uniform does not allow for the garment to be worn reverently and modestly (why we don't wear the garment swimming).

My husband has a rather strict PT uniform from his ROTC group. He simply can't wear his garments with it as the exercise shorts are too short.

Edited by Backroads

The way I understand it is A) the running around and sweating is too much for something sacred or B) the sports uniform does not allow for the garment to be worn reverently and modestly (why we don't wear the garment swimming).

My husband has a rather strict PT uniform from his ROTC group. He simply can't wear his garments with it as the exercise shorts are too short.

I've never really understood A, and I don't recall any counsel to this effect (could have been given, I just don't recall it). I mean garments, in this dispensation, were first worn in an agrarian society without air conditioning. If Farmer Brown was endowed and sweat was offensive to the garments he'd have to leave them at home when he went to work his fields or split some rails.

Had my temple recommend interview recently. Told the Bishop about how I go to the gym 4-5 times per week, and don't wear my garments while at the gym. He reaffirmed my understanding that was fine - that my attitude, and respect I have for what they are symbols of, are what's important.