What's your pet peeve?

Hala401

As silly as I know it is, nothing fries me out like messing with the heater when they borrow my car. These ignorant dolts allow car to warm up on full hot, and then shut the blower OFF!

Later, when I get in, I don't realise anything is amiss until I start coughing from superheated air irritating my asthmatic, COPD respiratory system. If they were just smart enough to leave blower on and regulate the heat with the heat regulator it would be much more pleasant.

People who say "could care less", when they clearly mean "couldn't care less". Then they just stare at you when corrected as if they don't understand what they said incorrectly.

I guess that comes from being British but tend to be around a lot of Americans though. It's certainly not in common usage here and stands out to me whenever used. It's worse than those who say pacifically instead of specifically. :)

Edited by Mahone

My linguistic peeve is over the use of the word literally as an emphasis for statements that don't hold up to the 'this is what happened, no exaggeration, or metaphor" sense.

So:

Them: "The movie was scary, it literally scared me to death."

Me (thinking): "You're looking well for someone who is deceased."

People who say "could care less", when they clearly mean "couldn't care less". Then they just stare at you when corrected as if they don't understand what they said incorrectly.

Whenever I hear someone say that I always ask them how much less they could care before they couldn't care less. And then I get the same look that you get.

I'm sure I have other things that qualify as pet peeves, but the only one that is coming to mind right now is when kids (or anyone really) lie to you about something you witnessed them doing, as if they think you don't already know the truth. It's like an insult on your intelligence or perceptive skills. It happens to me a lot at work, since I work at a middle school and have lunch duty, and it really bothers me.

Examples:

I witness a child pouring his milk over the food of his neighbors tray. I get his attention, and before I even say anything the first words out of his mouth are "I didn't do it".

I tell a child to pull up his pants, and he says "But I'm not sagging." ... when I can see his boxers as plain as day.

There are many others, but yeah... It really gets under my skin when kids try to lie their way out of something I know they did.

Edited by JudoMinja

I guess that comes from being British but tend to be around a lot of Americans though. It's certainly not in common usage here and stands out to me whenever used. It's worse than those who say pacifically instead of specifically. :)

I was told once that the use of "I could care less" was a slightly ironic usage, with the implied meaning, "I could care less, I suppose...but not much."

But, uh...nah, I don't think so.

Implications that females can not do something. I got this a lot from my one grandfather growing up and it still raises my hackles.

I was going to train my horse but he said I could not do it and because I insisted he packed the horse up and took him to the horse meat auction. That is an extreme example but I still get ticked off.

That was out and out cruelty, both to you and the horse! Wallah ! I know that would be hard to get over. I am like totally sorry that you had to go through that. If he did that, he probably did other sadistic, misogynistic, passive aggressive sick, perverted stuff too?

With my background, I have done stuff that many males have not, but since I am now LDS and have to behave myself and be sweet, they just blow me off and discount my word. :) What ever.

That was out and out cruelty, both to you and the horse! Wallah ! I know that would be hard to get over. I am like totally sorry that you had to go through that. If he did that, he probably did other sadistic, misogynistic, passive aggressive sick, perverted stuff too?

With my background, I have done stuff that many males have not, but since I am now LDS and have to behave myself and be sweet, they just blow me off and discount my word. :) What ever.

Or maybe he knew the horse well and didn't want his grand-daughter to get hurt.

Still... I agree that its irritating to be told you can't do something because you're a woman.

uh.... who says LDS are sweet?

Or maybe he knew the horse well and didn't want his grand-daughter to get hurt.

Still... I agree that its irritating to be told you can't do something because you're a woman.

uh.... who says LDS are sweet?

The horse was fine and I had been riding since I was 1.5 years old. He was exactly what Hala expected, well maybe not the pervert. It took a long long time for me to forgive him.

Women can do anything we want to and it is only to sooth the fragile egos of Men that we pretend to be helpless. :) Sure, they are stronger than we are, but they mostly do what we want anyhow. I mean like who would get all wet and smelly doing something when there is a man around?

The horse was fine and I had been riding since I was 1.5 years old. He was exactly what Hala expected, well maybe not the pervert. It took a long long time for me to forgive him.

Who says LDS are sweet?

When the Sister Missionaries found me in Kirtland, Ohio, and kidnapped me, dragging me off to their lair in the visitor's center, I was an emotional mess. Life was feeling very dark.

So, as the sisters taught me and were used by the Holy Spirit to begin healing me, Sr Golightly seemingly constantly admonished me to be "sweet". There were four in all that worked tirelessly with me over the next 3+ months. What a project I was!

I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for healing and forgiving. I know the church is true and that it is Jesus Christ's church. I always try to be "sweet" to honor the efforts of those who obeyed God, and helped me.