Kindle Fire

pam

I know there have been a couple of other threads but I'm in a hurry. :)

Does anyone own one? How is it at accessing the web? Can you use it to go to sites such as this?

I'm considering purchasing something as I want something small I can take on a trip without lugging around my laptop.

Pam, I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire. From my understanding, yes, you an access websites if they are mobile sites. I am not 100% sure about non-mobile sites. So access to social networks, like Facebook for example, shouldn't be a problem. My mum has one but she doesn't browse the web like I do.. she mostly reads books and plays games.

I got one not too long ago. Yes you can access this website from it. But you have to have internet access (wifi) close by. I've only ever been able to make the internet work on it from my house. THe only other place I tried was at my mother-in-law's house. She doesn't have internet but we can sometimes catch the neighbor's wireless. My son's laptop worked but my kindle didn't work there.

If I had work to do on a laptop I wouldn't rely on a Kindle to do it away from home. The keybord is tiny. The screen isn't very big and sometimes cuts off parts of the page. But it's great for videos, Pandora, games, and a variety of free book downloads- mostly the classics and unknown authors. Current popular books all cost $$. I found I prefer a real book but if you don't want to lug lots of books on a trip, the Kindle is a great device. You have to buy everything from Amazon. The Church has an app with free scriptures, manuals, conference talks, etc. Deseret Book has an app with a few free books. The rest all cost. But DB has made apparently thousands of books available to buy at Amazon and download on Kindle. And they're generally less than buying the real book.

I haven't had mine very long and I'm still learning. I don't think I even know a fraction of what I can do on it. I didn't like it at first...just another expensive techno contraption, but it's growing on me.

The scriptures, books, games, movies, etc that you've bought and downloaded work away from the internet. I have taken my kindle to church. Kids like the drawing app during Sac meeting. But obviously, internet doesn't work at church.

Edited by carlimac

I got a Nook Tablet for Christmas. It is AWESOME. No problems at all, does everything. Even use it in church! :)

Can you access lds.net and post from the Nook tablet?

Look at the iPad.. yes i know it's more, but you can do alot more with it. Kindle app as well as Nook apps are available for free on it as well as Apple's own iBook store (More books to choose from) MANY more apps to choose from.

You can also get the Ensign for free monthly on the iPad and iPhone (looks great on iPad). I have a great app on my iPhone that is available for iPad too that has all the LDS scriptures as well as all the manuals and resources, topical index and dictionary, talks from General Conferences, Hymnal, Audio reading of scriptures, etc etc. it's a great app. Most complete I've seen on any platform thus far.

Look at a used iPad 2, you can find them for a good price right now because of the new iPads and then work just peachy still.

Sure can... I'm writing this message to you on my Nook right now! :)

Wow that's awesome. I just remembered my daughter has the Nook. I should test hers out.

Pam, it depends what you consider your primary use. If you want to read, and have occasional internet access to post once in a while, then get an e-book reader that has internet browsing capabilities. If you plan to use it primarily for internet access, but a tablet whose primary function is a computer. Just about any Android tablet will give those functions. I use an Asus Transformer. Mine is the original, has lots of memory, 16 GB main, plus a 32 GB micro SD card. The newer Prime and 300 are even more robust with more memory. The Transformer line are just below the capabilities of a full laptop. That said, they are not really for intensive typing, etc altho they have optional keyboard docks or can be used with just about any bluetooth keyboard. In the interest of full disclosure, I admit to being an Asus Fanboy, but am not compensated. Well made products that are highly respected in the computing world.

The only thing about the Asus Transformer is the price. It's more than I care to spend for the amount of time I would probably use it.

I get a lot of questions about ereaders at my work. Whenever there is a problem, downloading, the app, etc. it is always a kindle fire that has the problem. The nook is definitely easier to use. Also if you need wifi, your phone might be able to be a hotspot. That is what we use for our home wifi now, My hubby even uses his phone as a hotspot to play his army killing people game on our playstation 3, so it must be fast.

Since it's already been brought up a couple times, I'll chime in and add that the Asus Transformer Prime TF201 is a beast. Comes with ICS and THD. There's a whole thread dedicated to it somewhere on the forum that can be pulled up via a search for those interested.

Pam, you could go "pre-owned" (for any tablet) on eBay.. But if you want something new and affordable, the Kindle should be a perfect buy. Maybe consider Slamjet's post if they're releasing an upgrade soonish..

I get a lot of questions about ereaders at my work. Whenever there is a problem, downloading, the app, etc. it is always a kindle fire that has the problem. The nook is definitely easier to use. Also if you need wifi, your phone might be able to be a hotspot. That is what we use for our home wifi now, My hubby even uses his phone as a hotspot to play his army killing people game on our playstation 3, so it must be fast.

Phone tethering uses your data plan. And every cellphone service except for Sprint has a data limit unless you were grandfather'd in from way back when. I have AT&T personal hotspot through my phone and I only use it for emergency purposes (I work from home via internet). My son used my tether once while on a trip and he went through his normal youtube'ing activities and I ended up paying for more data that month. Yeah, it can get expensive really fast if it's your only wifi source. But, it's great to partner with your tablet during travel instead of getting a tablet with its own data plan for when you hit a no-wifi-available zone.

Phone tethering uses your data plan. And every cellphone service except for Sprint has a data limit unless you were grandfather'd in from way back when. I have AT&T personal hotspot through my phone and I only use it for emergency purposes (I work from home via internet). My son used my tether once while on a trip and he went through his normal youtube'ing activities and I ended up paying for more data that month. Yeah, it can get expensive really fast if it's your only wifi source. But, it's great to partner with your tablet during travel instead of getting a tablet with its own data plan for when you hit a no-wifi-available zone.

Awesome I have Sprint. They love me at Sprint. I've had the same cell phone number with them since 2001. :)

Awesome I have Sprint. They love me at Sprint. I've had the same cell phone number with them since 2001. :)

I've been with AT&T with the same phone number since 1996... crazy, huh?

Guest keth
Hidden

Hello....

My iPad works too but I want an app that I can upload photos from, have a quick view gallery and a simple main page. CC is accessible via my phone just a little cluttered:)...i think its good via these devices we can read and get a lot also can take our entire library with us anywhere....So what you say?

Fully Automated Stock Trading Videos