An Acceptable Prejudice?

Maureen

Here's an essay that you might like to read. Here's an excerpt:

When I first moved to Pocatello, I lived in a cul de sac and seven of my nine neighbors belonged to the LDS Church. Nobody tried to convert me. They invited me to church picnics – no pressure. My next-door neighbor spent nearly two hours one weekday morning (he was late to work) helping me restore my snow blower to life after five years in the humid South. Another helped flush and fix my sprinkler system. A third returned my dogs after they’d escaped. Several just showed up with family members to help me move in. A fourth one tossed me the keys to his Cadillac after the transmission in my Suburban disassembled on my driveway. "Bring it back when you don’t need it anymore," he said.

Essay about prejudice in academe against Mormons | Inside Higher Ed

M.

Here's an essay that you might like to read. Here's an excerpt:

When I first moved to Pocatello, I lived in a cul de sac and seven of my nine neighbors belonged to the LDS Church. Nobody tried to convert me. They invited me to church picnics – no pressure. My next-door neighbor spent nearly two hours one weekday morning (he was late to work) helping me restore my snow blower to life after five years in the humid South. Another helped flush and fix my sprinkler system. A third returned my dogs after they’d escaped. Several just showed up with family members to help me move in. A fourth one tossed me the keys to his Cadillac after the transmission in my Suburban disassembled on my driveway. "Bring it back when you don’t need it anymore," he said.

Essay about prejudice in academe against Mormons | Inside Higher Ed

M.

This paragraph you posted here, has been my experience as a non-Mormon, living among Mormon neighbours for many happy years. I still live in a predominately LDS area of the country.

For what it's worth, concerning the luncheon with a bevy of liberal academics, they don't just think Mormonism is a dangerous cult, they think all of Christianity is a dangerous cult.

I've come to learn that often the faults people love pointing out in others are the very faults they themselves have, only the names are changed. (they say others are closed-minded because they won't accept X, when they themselves won't accept Y, etc.) I see that in the example he mentioned of the luncheon.

In a paraphrased conversation from memory: "Is it okay to be prejudice against people of whatever religions?"

"No! Of course not! You can't judge anyone just by their religion! It's wrong to make fun of any religion. Except for... <insert several religions".

Dead serious response.

This paragraph you posted here, has been my experience as a non-Mormon, living among Mormon neighbours for many happy years. I still live in a predominately LDS area of the country.

For what it's worth, concerning the luncheon with a bevy of liberal academics, they don't just think Mormonism is a dangerous cult, they think all of Christianity is a dangerous cult.

Advocating for faith has been a long and tiring struggle. Since my late 20's, it has never been about faith for me, but about trying to find people who really seek to lead a life pleasing to Heavenly Father.

In the 70's I sought after Heavenly Father, as a Baptist, but felt too unworthy, in spite of regular attendance and tithing. Life wasn't perfect then, but we tried as hard as we knew how. Both of us having come from Hell, we had a lot to learn and sometimes failed so tragically.

We moved from group to group, searching but never realising that it was us who were so judgmental that we would not know a faithful christian if we stood face to face.

That led to pentacostle expression and then, for me, to Islam as an illustration of my desparation to find the one true God.

My experience with the LDS has been the gentlest... For me, finally a culture that seeks to develop the best in a member, constantly supportive, and reticent to reprimand even when I know I should be. The LDS faith may not be the best for everyone. There are many lies told about us. But for me, our church is the best.

Doctrinal belief by doctrinal belief it has been a rescue for me.