Nylons/pantyhose/stockings: necessary for modesty?

What do you think? We had an interesting lesson in RS last week on modest dress. Or rather, the discussion was interesting. I wanted to get the opinions of a wider pool of people. Women, do you wear nylons with your Sunday dress? Do you feel it's part of dressing modestly for church? Do you notice when other women don't?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear nylons. I feel half dressed without nylons when I'm wearing a dress. Yes I notice when other women don't. I'm more concerned with the length of a skirt as a modesty issue than whether there are nylons or not. What I see that concerns me more than no nylons is no slip with a dress or skirt that is thin enough to see through.

Modesty is an attitude as well as a manner of dress.

I know I'm a guy, but can I chime in that I don't think nylons are a modesty issue? Unless we're talking about something like fishnet stockings and that would be from a Look at me!/propriety aspect, particularly in respect to Church, not a covering up issue.

Here's my conclusion on the same discussion on facebook:

I think it's more a discussion of culture. Some people in our church tend to get those things too tied into each other, though. My conclusion is that it's an expression of formality and respect, and not necessarily modesty. If you're wearing a headband for a skirt, nylons aren't going to do much to cover up what needs covering.

Depends entirely on what I'm wearing. I have no complaint whatsoever with nylons/pantyhose/stockings, but I don't think they go with every outfit... I try to wear them when I go to the temple, mainly because that's how I was raised more than anything.

I only wear them in the winter. In the summer it's miserable for me to wear nylons. Most of the younger women in church don't wear stockings, the older women do though.

I should probably wearing stockings in the summer because right now I have two tan lines on my legs, one where my socks end and the other where my shorts end, haha. Most of my skirts or dresses are right at my knee caps or just below, so the second tan line is not visible.

I forgot to add, No, I don't think they are required for modesty.

What do you think? We had an interesting lesson in RS last week on modest dress. Or rather, the discussion was interesting. I wanted to get the opinions of a wider pool of people. Women, do you wear nylons with your Sunday dress? Do you feel it's part of dressing modestly for church? Do you notice when other women don't?

From the weird corner, here is my opinion. I don't dictate what anyone wears. For me however, if it a fairly formal setting, like Sacrament Service, and if I am wearing LDS regulation skirt length, I have to have my legs covered. I think that pantihose are a tool of the devil, so I usually wear stockings with suspenders. They are very hard to find anymore without that awful silicon at the top. That horrid compound makes me break out. Pantihose make me so uncomfortable, to the point of claustrophobia that I just won't wear them except for a very short time.

I often just wear floor length skirts or dresses to avoid all the bother. Please, no yelling at me, but I think that I notice that the Bishop's, and President's wives all wear ankle length skirts, while the rest of us...

I usually do wear nylons, but it has nothing to do with modesty. My legs just look better. Today, I wore a just-below-the-knee skirt with sandals, no nylons. Too hot outside in my opinion to torture myself in nylons. I don't think it's necessary to wear nylons with Sunday dress to be dressed up. I do notice when other women don't wear nylons, but it has nothing to do with being the "modesty" police. It has more to do with checking out fashion. Several months ago I was reading a fashion magazine, and there was an article about nylons. According to the article, the fashion is to not wear nylons, and if you're a woman who is so inclined to wear nylons, then you should choose a nude color, and have the nylons look as natural as possible--the tan-orangey color nylons were definitely out of fashion. I guess, for me, the reason I notice whether women are wearing nylons or not, is because if I wear regular shoes and no nylons (socks, or something), my feet stick inside the shoe, and it's very uncomfortable for me. And I see other women wearing shoes with their bare feet, and I can't help but wonder how they do it so effortlessly. Don't their feet stick too? But, for some reason I can wear my sandals without socks/nylons, and my feet don't stick. Is it because with sandals, they're open, and so my feet can breathe?

Edited by classylady

I usually do wear nylons, but it has nothing to do with modesty. My legs just look better. Today, I wore a just-below-the-knee skirt with sandals, no nylons. Too hot outside in my opinion to torture myself in nylons. I don't think it's necessary to wear nylons with Sunday dress to be dressed up. I do notice when other women don't wear nylons, but it has nothing to do with being the "modesty" police. It has more to do with checking out fashion. Several months ago I was reading a fashion magazine, and there was an article about nylons. According to the article, the fashion is to not wear nylons, and if you're a woman who is so inclined to wear nylons, then you should choose a nude color, and have the nylons look as natural as possible--the tan-orangey color nylons were definitely out of fashion. I guess, for me, the reason I notice whether women are wearing nylons or not, is because if I wear regular shoes and no nylons (socks, or something), my feet stick inside the shoe, and it's very uncomfortable for me. And I see other women wearing shoes with their bear feet, and I can't help but wonder how they do it so effortlessly. Don't their feet stick too? But, for some reason I can wear my sandals without socks/nylons, and my feet don't stick. Is it because with sandals, they're open, and so my feet can breathe?

I hate it when my feet stick. Muslim women just wear socks.

To chime in I do not wear nylons with my dresses. In the winter I wear knee hi nylons aka trouser socks. I don't feel that socks add to or detract from being modest. The length of the hem and the neckline, the tightness of the fit, the length of the sleeves - those are related directly to modesty.

I also do not wear a slip unless the skirt is see through when I stand in front of a light. Today I wore a black skirt, so no slip and no nylons/socks.

I wear a slip under my temple dress, although the dress is NOT see through. I wear white trouser socks to the temple. That way I have one LESS item to remove/add.

The only thing that remotely bothers me regarding feet is when they are dirty and in need of the calluses on the heels needing sanding and the entire foot slathered in moisturizer. I have high blood pressure, so my ankles, top of the foot and sometimes up my lower leg looks like the skin is rusted. In fact it is. If I rub the rusty looking area, it goes away for a bit. When it gets to my knees, then I know my med dose is incorrect.

I don't go barefooted at home because I am diabetic, thus I must protect my feet. Your standard grade carpet is nylon and it will suck the natural oil right out of your feet. Causing your feet to get real dry and the skin to crack. Also too many small, sharp things get stuck in carpeting. Like pine needles, cat claws, trimmed off toenails, straight pins, staples, etc. ALL of those things can get stuck into your feet. When you are diabetic, chances are you can't feel when they do and you end up with nasty infections.

I also do not wear Bear Feet. They are too furry, long nailed and darn right hot!:lol: I wear my Crocs Clogs instead. Crocs? Clogs For Women | Comfy & Colorful Clogs For Women | Crocs? Official Site Wearing these with socks makes the socks twist on my feet. Icky.

Edited by Iggy

On the topic of sockless shoes, I've recently seen socklets made of lace that just peek out around the edge of a pump or flat, so there's a little bit of ruffle or lace accentuating the shoe. I think they're really cute and I want some. Of course that means no nylons. . . ;)

I can't imagine why wearing nylons would be necessary for modesty. Let's hope this doesn't get pushed too hard. Since we're teaching modesty to four-year-olds these days, we could end up being subjected to the horrific sight of four-year-olds wearing nylons! :o

During my mission, one of the sisters had some kind of allergy that made her itch a lot when wearing nylons. She told the mission president about this problem and requested permission to not wear nylons. He insisted she continue wearing them. But it got so very uncomfortable for her that she stopped wearing them, anyway! Fortunately for her, she got away with it.

Nylons is to legs as make-up foundation is to face.

Neither has anything to do with modesty and everything to do with fashion.

Humidity + Heat + Nylons = Torture.

To have the "nylons" effect, I wear super high heels and dust foundation powder over blemishes.

Nylons is to legs as make-up foundation is to face.

Neither has anything to do with modesty and everything to do with fashion.

Humidity + Heat + Nylons = Torture.

To have the "nylons" effect, I wear super high heels and dust foundation powder over blemishes.

I'm trying to tan my legs, but here in Oregon it is hard.