Video of child's first root beer fuels obesity debate

EarlJibbs

Just read this. Crazy.

I feel bad for these people who posted what was a funny video, are getting lambasted.

What are your thoughts? Mine.... stay the heck out of others choices. We all are upset when parents make poor decisions, but I dont think that this couple represents the entire obese community. This kills me.

One root beer float doesn't make a kid obese. Good Grief!

The comment I left on Youtube: Root Beer or other sugary soda is not the cause of obesity. Get the kids out from in front of TV and video games and get them moving!!!

Its a shame parents sharing a wonderful moment have to hear nasty comments from people who don't understand the issues. Obesity is caused by more than just sugar for pete's sake. My mother's generation drank a lot of root beer...made it at home even.... and her generation had very little obesity. But then they ate home cooked food at home and worked hard to grow it too.

Edited by applepansy

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????!!!!!!

Don't you have any idea how a consistent diet of starchy foods contributes to couch potatoness?

Not sure what your comment has to do with Pam's post. That is not what she was saying.

I doubt this kid is damned to a life of being obese or "couch potatoness". Which is what A: the government would like you to think and B: those who posted negative comments on the video on youtube are saying.

It was a cute video of someone enjoying their first Rootbeer.

Not sure what your comment has to do with Pam's post. That is not what she was saying.

I doubt this kid is damned to a life of being obese or "couch potatoness". Which is what A: the government would like you to think and B: those who posted negative comments on the video on youtube are saying.

It was a cute video of someone enjoying their first Rootbeer.

Did you not get the pun? Starch? couch "potatoness"? I thought the comment hilarious.

Or maybe I've got just as warped a sense of humor as mordorbund. :)

Did you not get the pun? Starch? couch "potatoness"? I thought the comment hilarious.

Okay, I was going to simply edit out my post since I completely missed the joke. But I left it to show everyone how dumb I just looked. I hope someone can at least get me some Fries with that, because I just got served.

I definitely did not have my funny had on yesterday. Good one mordorbund. :lol:

I watched it. Idealistically, I'd like to think that I wouldn't give Root Beer to my daughter that young but I have a confession to make, we've already given her a taste of ice-cream and she's a lot younger than that boy. Anyway, I can only imagine the unnecessary remarks people have made about the parents. Rewind when my daughter was about 5 months old, I uploaded a home video on YouTube of her with Big Eyes. Basically, I had her on the changing table and flipped the lights on/off - her eyes would get big and she'd giggle hysterically. Before I knew it, I got spammed by all kinds of comments about how I was a terrible mother for exposing her precious little eyeballs to the lights being flicked on/off. I left the video online for awhile but then the comments and private messages just got out of control, so I deleted the video entirely. The crazy thing was, it wasn't like she was even in a totally dark room. It was daylight, the room was perfectly lit from natural illumination, the flipping the lights on just barely made a difference but since baby was facing up at the light fixture, she totally got a kick out of it being on and off.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????!!!!!!

Don't you have any idea how a consistent diet of starchy foods contributes to couch potatoness?

Plus peas are legumes and are starch also.

Oh, oh, oh, then there was the time I forced her to bite down onto a pebble. Her siblings were looking in horror. She wasn't sure but like a good girl, she did as dad told her to do. She bit down, gave me the absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" and then her face lit up:

Posted Image

Next thing, her hand shot out wanting more. Then her siblings had the same absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" until I said - "It's chocolate that looks like rocks." Then I had more hands shooting out demanding to try it. They inhaled the rest of the batch, having fun and loving the novelty of it all.

They're resilient or at least they were too young to remember it.

Edited by slamjet

oh, oh, oh, then there was the time i forced her to bite down onto a pebble. Her siblings were looking in horror. She wasn't sure but like a good girl, she did as dad told her to do. She bit down, gave me the absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" and then her face lit up:

Posted Image

next thing, her hand shot out wanting more. Then her siblings had the same absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" until i said - "it's chocolate that looks like rocks." then i had more hands shooting out demanding to try it. They inhaled the rest of the batch, having fun and loving the novelty of it all.

i gotta try one of those!!!

Oh, oh, oh, then there was the time I forced her to bite down onto a pebble. Her siblings were looking in horror. She wasn't sure but like a good girl, she did as dad told her to do. She bit down, gave me the absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" and then her face lit up:

Posted Image

Next thing, her hand shot out wanting more. Then her siblings had the same absolutely funniest look of "what the heck" until I said - "It's chocolate that looks like rocks." Then I had more hands shooting out demanding to try it. They inhaled the rest of the batch, having fun and loving the novelty of it all.

Dude, for real? You can actually buy those?

Too cool! I've gotta get me some! :D