Is Doctor Who alright for Mormons to Watch?

madhats

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Doctor Who alright for Mormons to watch? I'm just wondering because that Jack Harkness dude shows up from time to time and he's... well... Jack... is it still okay to watch though?

my family loves it. What i've seen of the current Dr who stuff seems to be pretty clean. I'd wager that like star trek there will be the occasional episode that you may have to skip or is borderline.

And for everyone else Hi y'all, i'm back for a bit ^.^

Saw my first-ever Dr. Who last night. Some gal kept seeing her friends get "killed" and sent backward in time by "weeping angels". My son told me it was a one-off, and that the primary characters usually get most of the screen time. While I long ago got tired of the time-travel sci-fi nonsense, I admit I thought the show very entertaining and very well-done. I was impressed. Maybe I'll watch others some time.

Saw my first-ever Dr. Who last night. Some gal kept seeing her friends get "killed" and sent backward in time by "weeping angels". My son told me it was a one-off, and that the primary characters usually get most of the screen time. While I long ago got tired of the time-travel sci-fi nonsense, I admit I thought the show very entertaining and very well-done. I was impressed. Maybe I'll watch others some time.

Like many series Dr. Who has some really good eps and some not so good eps. Its also a serial were most of the season is building to a climax of the season ending. So it can be kind of hard to drop in at any point and understand it all.

You son was quite right about the "Weeping Angles" ep. Its generally regarded as one of the good ones, and it stands alone quite nicely.

If you are looking to start watching I would recommend starting with the beginning of what the fans call NuWho... Its were they resumed production after a hiatus... While they didn't reset or restart exactly, they did zero out the expectations that the audience knew the 30+ years of history up to that point. So they re-teach us the Dr Who Lore and History as it comes up so that we know enough to move on.

My husband gets really creeped out by the Weeping Angels (they play significant roles in future episodes as well), but I love that episode. It's one of my favorites. It's so fascinating.

As estradling says, very few episodes stand alone. They often build upon each other to climax at the end of the season (series), and often without the audience even realizing it until the end. Some of them even build up two seasons in advance. It's very well constructed.