What is a Commandment?

Anddenex

I once read from President Hinckley that any time he received counsel from the Lord he took the counsel as a commandment from the Lord.

I have read others say that a commandment is only a commandment if it is in scripture, or if it is officially added as a declaration within our cannon.

I have read from others, family home evening is a commandment, R-rated movies is a commandment yet these have not been mentioned within scripture, nor have they been added as a official declaration, yet we can read from President Benson, spoken as a prophet, not to watch R-rated movies.

I have three questions:

1. What is a commandment?

2. Is there a point when a counsel no longer is counsel, and becomes a commandment?

3. Does our definition of a commandment define our love for God (as with President Hinckley, a counsel from the Lord is seen as a commandment)?

Thank you in advance. Please flame responsibly.

When Joseph Smith said, "I teach them correct principles, and let them govern themselves" I think it's kind of like God saying, "I am going to tell you what to do that will make your life better, happier, and more fulfilling. It's up to you whether you want to do it or not." God balances commandments with free will.

I once read from President Hinckley that any time he received counsel from the Lord he took the counsel as a commandment from the Lord.

I have read others say that a commandment is only a commandment if it is in scripture, or if it is officially added as a declaration within our cannon.

I have read from others, family home evening is a commandment, R-rated movies is a commandment yet these have not been mentioned within scripture, nor have they been added as a official declaration, yet we can read from President Benson, spoken as a prophet, not to watch R-rated movies.

I have three questions:

1. What is a commandment?

2. Is there a point when a counsel no longer is counsel, and becomes a commandment?

3. Does our definition of a commandment define our love for God (as with President Hinckley, a counsel from the Lord is seen as a commandment)?

Thank you in advance. Please flame responsibly.

(1) A commandment is the promise that one makes when establishing a covenant with G-d. I believe it is legal and binding and necessary if one is to become a citizen of the "Kingdom" of G-d (or in other words his church)

(2) I would point out that one of the covenants one makes to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ. I could write a little book on the full extent of what that covenant and promise includes - but in essence it means that we will do whatever the L-rd ask of us and I believe that includes fulfilling callings or accepting advice and counsel.

(3) I would compare our covenant to marriage. Now there has been some problem arise concerning modern interpretations of marriage and concepts of being a sexist - but in essence the promise a bride makes in marriage is to obey or receive counsel. Since this understanding causes problems the notion of divine divesture is included - or if a groom is not following divine counsel that bride of off the hook - but the point is that by our covenant with G-d we are bound by his every word. Under the covenant of the priesthood (D&C 84) that we, by covenant, accept our L-rd, and his Father, by accepting those servants that he appoints. There are ways according to the “law” of covenants that we can by-pass servants and make appeals directly - but those can be very costly and dangerous. The bottom line is the same as the law of combat - you are always safe in following orders (commands) passed down by commanders.

The Traveler

When Joseph Smith said, "I teach them correct principles, and let them govern themselves" I think it's kind of like God saying, "I am going to tell you what to do that will make your life better, happier, and more fulfilling. It's up to you whether you want to do it or not." God balances commandments with free will.

I am reminded with your thoughts regarding the Lord's words to Adam and Eve regarding partaking of the fruit, by which he commanded them not to partake, and then providing the words, "nevertheless thou mayest choose for thyself."

Without moral agency we would not be able to grow, and no righteousness could be brought to pass.

Thanks.

I have learned to pay attention how you feel. Ask yourself is this chasing the spirit away. Would I feel good about going to the temple after participating in the current choice made. This has helped me to know when I should correct a certain behavior and when I do I feel the influence of the holy ghost

I believe it is legal and binding and necessary if one is to become a citizen of the "Kingdom" of G-d (or in other words his church)

but in essence it means that we will do whatever the L-rd ask of us and I believe that includes fulfilling callings or accepting advice and counsel.

The bottom line is the same as the law of combat - you are always safe in following orders (commands) passed down by commanders.

Living by every word which proceedeth from the mouth of God, whether by His voice (personal revelation), or by the mouth of His servants, it is the same.

I would definitely see truth in your reasoning via by-passing servants, and it would definitely be costly and dangerous, if one is following their own will.

My father shared with me a story in Germany about an individual, a member, who had the spirit of prophecy, and prophesied many things which came to pass in their area. One day this individual received a revelation to begin a new church. Unfortunately, the hubris gained through correct prophecies allowed a costly and dangerous error, and unfortunately some members decided to follow.

I am not sure if this fits your thoughts, but I believe I have an idea of what you were meaning.

Thanks.

I have learned to pay attention how you feel. Ask yourself is this chasing the spirit away. Would I feel good about going to the temple after participating in the current choice made. This has helped me to know when I should correct a certain behavior and when I do I feel the influence of the holy ghost

If I understood you correctly happy boy, you feel that if you feel a loss in the spirit then there is a commandment by which you might be breaking, or are breaking, and thus make a change in your course, or actions.

If you don't feel a loss in the spirit, then it is probably counsel, although good counsel, not necessarily salvation threatening.

This reminds me of the need for us to not become "past feeling", or we may not recognize that loss in the spirit.

Thanks.

If you don't feel a loss in the spirit, then it is probably counsel, although good counsel, not necessarily salvation threatening.

Why take the chance? If it's good counsel, and coming from an omniscient source, then follow it and you'll be better off for it. Whether it's technically an order or not, He's not going to lead you astray, and He's not going to punish you for following His advice.

That's why I say the difference between a commandment and counsel is pretty much semantic in this case; either way, you run a fairly high risk by disregarding it.

Why take the chance? If it's good counsel, and coming from an omniscient source, then follow it and you'll be better off for it. Whether it's technically an order or not, He's not going to lead you astray, and He's not going to punish you for following His advice.

That's why I say the difference between a commandment and counsel is pretty much semantic in this case; either way, you run a fairly high risk by disregarding it.

I would agree, and felt this is what you were meaning, but didn't want to assume. I agree we definitely are better off by following good counsel, be that from God, or His servants.

I spoke with my sister from Utah about this, she asked me the same exact question. I told her that it meant to remember Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in all that we do and say. It's easy to know of the gospel and not necessarily easy to exercise it in our daily lives. The word commandment is like a word that means to force or compel someone to follow, but because of the knowledge I understand that it's the willingness to heed to the power of our Savior Jesus Christ to heal and rebuild us into Latter-day Saints. When we understand the gospel we are able to be leaders in our homes, our kids are able to exemplify leadership in their surroundings. The commandment is not enforcing but spiritually challenging those to discipline and move forward. Through prayer, faith, honesty, and charity.

Living by every word which proceedeth from the mouth of God, whether by His voice (personal revelation), or by the mouth of His servants, it is the same.

I would definitely see truth in your reasoning via by-passing servants, and it would definitely be costly and dangerous, if one is following their own will.

My father shared with me a story in Germany about an individual, a member, who had the spirit of prophecy, and prophesied many things which came to pass in their area. One day this individual received a revelation to begin a new church. Unfortunately, the hubris gained through correct prophecies allowed a costly and dangerous error, and unfortunately some members decided to follow.

I am not sure if this fits your thoughts, but I believe I have an idea of what you were meaning.

Thanks.

Here is my understanding of how covenants work – every covenant has a proctor. In the case of making a covenant with G-d it is of necessity that G-d is the proctor. But the reality is that very few make covenants with G-d but rather with an appointed proxy proctor. We see this in part at the Baptism of Jesus where John is the appointed proxy proctor and Jesus asked to be baptized. This really confused John that thought he should be baptized by Jesus. But Jesus verified the importance of the law of proxy.

From D&C 84 we learn of the order of proxy in the priesthood. What is not well understood is the same in this law of proxy as with the law of kings in Israel. That is that the sins of the people are answered upon the king. So if the king oversteps his authority he is responsible.

So is the order of the kingdom of G-d. For each covenant with each individual there is a proxy or proxies as given under the covenant of the priesthood. Note this is by order of the priesthood not by someone’s assuming authority by what-ever other means. If we are obedient to the proxy appointed over us the responsibility falls to the proxy to fulfill his role and call. But there is another option. We can choose to reject the proxy and relieve them of all responsibility and take all that responsibility upon ourselves – but we cannot take any responsibility for others – only for ourselves – but we can advise other if we wish but their responsibility is to be taken upon themselves or to remain with the proxy.

The only reason to remove a proxy that has errored is for their benefit and as a sacrifice for them – there is no benefit in the individual in taking responsibility from a proxy. Which is why one should be very careful as well as loving in such a consideration – for that individual - there is nothing to gain and everything to lose in the kingdom of G-d.

The Traveler

I think the other thing to remember is that agency is also the ability to screw nearly anything up. As an example, if you get a blessing for your health, then choose to eat the furry stuff in the fridge with a tall glass of Drano, you're probably going to negate that blessing.

By the same token, when the Spirit tells you something, whether it's a commandment or a suggestion, disregard it at your peril, as you may be giving up a blessing you otherwise would have had.

How do you keep track of all the commandments, counsel, rules, policies, etc.? Is there a checklist somewhere?

Yes. It's called the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

*edit. Also the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. In other words..the standard works.

Edited by pam

That's awesome. If you remember them would love to teach them to my children. :)

Lessee...

• "No other gods" was a wagging finger, I think
  • "No graven images" used index finger and pinky to make a Texas-style Longhorns symbol
  • "Don't take the Lord's name in vain" -- I think it had something to do with grabbing your tongue, but not sure
  • "Remember the Sabbath day" -- thumb and forefinger (?) on each hand come together to form a steeple, with fists forming body of the meetinghouse
  • "Honor thy father and thy mother" -- I think it was three fingers on one hand 'bowing down' to two fingers on the other
  • "Don't kill" -- one hand (five fingers) form a gun that shoots at one finger on the other hand
  • "Don't commit adultery" -- three fingers on one hand and four on the other pulling apart, representing a family breaking apart, i.e. "don't destroy your family" (hey, it's Primary)
  • "Don't steal" -- maybe one hand grabbing three fingers on the other? Not sure
  • "No false witness" -- one hand formed a 'talking mouth' (as if you were wearing a sock puppet), but I don't remember what the other one did
  • "Don't covet" -- all ten fingers grasping as if trying to get something

I'll ask her tonight, if I remember and no one else fills in the gaps in the interim.

Lessee...

• "No other gods" was a wagging finger, I think
  • "No graven images" used index finger and pinky to make a Texas-style Longhorns symbol
  • "Don't take the Lord's name in vain" -- I think it had something to do with grabbing your tongue, but not sure
  • "Remember the Sabbath day" -- thumb and forefinger (?) on each hand come together to form a steeple, with fists forming body of the meetinghouse
  • "Honor thy father and thy mother" -- I think it was three fingers on one hand 'bowing down' to two fingers on the other
  • "Don't kill" -- one hand (five fingers) form a gun that shoots at one finger on the other hand
  • "Don't commit adultery" -- three fingers on one hand and four on the other pulling apart, representing a family breaking apart, i.e. "don't destroy your family" (hey, it's Primary)
  • "Don't steal" -- maybe one hand grabbing three fingers on the other? Not sure
  • "No false witness" -- one hand formed a 'talking mouth' (as if you were wearing a sock puppet), but I don't remember what the other one did
  • "Don't covet" -- all ten fingers grasping as if trying to get something

I'll ask her tonight, if I remember and no one else fills in the gaps in the interim.

One of the missionaries who taught my lessons knew these. Can't say I remember them all, though.

Lessee...

There are two ways to do it that I'm familiar with. One is to grab your tongue with three fingers, the other is to cover your mouth with three fingers held together (think the Scout sign but palm facing you).

If God tells you to do something, is it really a good idea to get caught up in semantics?

You really touched something special in me with your answer. I had been praying about something important last year, received a clear answer about it and have not implemented the change yet, because I have been caught up in the semantics. Thank you for the not so subtle reminder. I know you are correct, and I know what I need to do! :D

NightSG, you also said in another post "By the same token, when the Spirit tells you something, whether it's a commandment or a suggestion, disregard it at your peril, as you may be giving up a blessing you otherwise would have had."

You have spoken wise words to me tonight, I hope others are feeling the same Spirit, and will heed this good advice.

Edited by Dixielee