Missionary age: How does this change things in your family?

Vort

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is better for planning for life, avoiding temptations from the time of graduating high school to arriving in the mission field.

I suppose that the mission field will also be a fruitful "marriage prospecting program" since sisters can now serve at age 19. :)

I predict more post-"mission field" marriages.

I also predict that more high school seniors will simply go straight to the mission field before enrolling at colleges and this becomes the advice coming from Young Men presidencies and advisors.

Church Lowers Age Requirement for Missionary Service

YM can now serve at 18 instead of 19

YW can now serve at 19 instead of 21

As a young woman, I find it amazing that I can serve a mission in two years, and I am actually considering it. The only thing I have to worry if I serve is money for a mission. Also, I think there will be more missionaries out in the field (elders and sisters). Sister missionaries definitely would increase because at 21 a lot of them are married or about to start a career and may feel to old. Lastly, I think it is cool that most of the elders and sisters will be home around the same time.

What do you all feel about the new change?

Edited by skippy740
Added link to official announcement for official news & events

I think it may be cool because I will be the first missionary out of my field, however my non-LDS family members may not like it. Also, I will be coming home when one of the boys from my ward is coming home (he will be going on at 19). Another thing is there hasn't been a sister mission from my ward for about 4 yrs and I will be one who will attend:)

I do wonder about boys being able to prepare financially with one less year. My SIL is really worried about it. But I know that when God asks something of us, he provides a way.

The primary song....

"I will go, I will do, the things the Lord commands. I know the Lord will find a way. He wants me to obey."

My grandson has been singing this all morning including while the announcement was made. :)

I do wonder about boys being able to prepare financially with one less year. My SIL is really worried about it. But I know that when God asks something of us, he provides a way.

I was talking with 14 yr old young woman from my ward over Facebook about this. She said it is great for the girls, but the boys it may be bad because at 19 they have more time to be in the world to become more mature. But, I think that it may be better for YM going to missions at 18 because they have a less chance of leaving the church before his mission and can have less temptations. Another thing is that just for some YM they have less time to prepare, but I think everything will work out. I also was talking to the same YW about us YW going and she said she is starting to save up and I told her well I can't save that much because I joined the church at 13 and have about 1 1/2 year to turn my papers in and then 2 years to prepare. For me I would need to have financial aid and if I get it, I would really go on one.

Well, Pres. Monson did say that leaving at 18 isn't something *everyone* should do. I mean, it's not like they have until their 19th birthday to get those papers in or else the door is forever shut. If they need an extra year to prepare (whether spiritually or financially or both) there's nothing to stop them from doing so.

I was talking with 14 yr old young woman from my ward over Facebook about this. She said it is great for the girls, but the boys it may be bad because at 19 they have more time to be in the world to become more mature. But, I think that it may be better for YM going to missions at 18 because they have a less chance of leaving the church before his mission and can have less temptations. Another thing is that just for some YM they have less time to prepare, but I think everything will work out. I also was talking to the same YW about us YW going and she said she is starting to save up and I told her well I can't save that much because I joined the church at 13 and have about 1 1/2 year to turn my papers in and then 2 years to prepare. For me I would need to have financial aid and if I get it, I would really go on one.

Talk to your bishop and let him determine how well your ward can help. As far as I know, the Church won't turn away anyone from missionary service for lack of personal finances.

Well, Pres. Monson did say that leaving at 18 isn't something *everyone* should do. I mean, it's not like they have until their 19th birthday to get those papers in or else the door is forever shut. If they need an extra year to prepare (whether spiritually or financially or both) there's nothing to stop them from doing so.

I know and they said that those ages aren't for everyone, but it is cool that the youth has this option.

Talk to your bishop and let him determine how well your ward can help. As far as I know, the Church won't turn away anyone from missionary service for lack of personal finances.

The next time I will see him I probably will talk to him about that. I just got an interview last week, but I could always pull him aside and tell him about my wanting to serve. I am going to fast about it next Sunday and re-read my patriarchal blessing that heavily speaks about service and study the scriptures.