Trying to Verify/Debunk a New Urban Legend

Just_A_Guy

Tonight I saw a Facebook graphic saying something to the effect that the LDS Church usually processes about 200 missionary applications per week, but that last week they got 7,000.

This strikes me as highly unlikely. Can anyone comprehensively debunk (or confirm) the assertion?

It's doubtful that you'll get a positive, official assertion.

But, let's do some math. If they normall get 200 per week, and boys can go a year earlier, they could conceivably get an extra 52 weeks * 200/week = 10,000 applications. So 7,000 doesn't seem unrealistic. I know a number of boys and girls who were waiting to reach the appropriate age, and put in their papers as soon as that was announced.

At one point there were about 55,000 missionaries out at once, which would be in the ballpark of 500 applications/week, so 200/week seems completely plausible. If anything, the claimed 200/week may be low, which would make the "surge" of 7,000 applications even more realistic.

It's doubtful that you'll get a positive, official assertion.

But, let's do some math. If they normall get 200 per week, and boys can go a year earlier, they could conceivably get an extra 52 weeks * 200/week = 10,000 applications. So 7,000 doesn't seem unrealistic. I know a number of boys and girls who were waiting to reach the appropriate age, and put in their papers as soon as that was announced.

At one point there were about 55,000 missionaries out at once, which would be in the ballpark of 500 applications/week, so 200/week seems completely plausible. If anything, the claimed 200/week may be low, which would make the "surge" of 7,000 applications even more realistic.

Also, remember that for girls, they can now leave 2 years earlier, not just a year. So, it's not just an extra years worth of missionaries going, for the sister's it's two years. I can't do the math, because I don't know what the ratio is for elders vs sisters going out on missions.

A friend of mine on facebook just said "Elder Zwick who is a member of the Quorum of the Seventy was at General Authority Institute week said that before conference they were processing 450 missionary applications per week. This last week they processed 3000". I worked close with this guy at church, so I trust him that that's what he really heard from Elder Zwick. :)

I'd be surprised if the applications were actually already being submitted. I suspect there won't be much of a noticeable increase for a few months. People who are now trying to leave earlier than previously planned likely don't have all their medical and dental affairs in order yet, which typically needs to be done prior to submitting the actual application. That can take some time.

I just barely saw it pop up on my newsfeed on FB for the first time, at 7:10 tonight. It says 600 to 7,000. There's a "source link" beneath it that leads to this Twitter account: https://twitter.com/cressman/status/260077326677725184 Scrolling through this guy's feed, a lot of people are asking for a source, and expressing similar skepticism. He said that he heard it from his stake president, but he doesn't know who/what the SP's source is.

“As Church leaders had anticipated when the change was announced, the number of individuals who have begun the missionary application process has increased significantly. Typically approximately 700 new applications are started each week. The last two weeks that number has increased to approximately 4,000 per week. Slightly more than half of the applicants are women.

These are early numbers and it is difficult to say exactly where we will be over the coming months but we are grateful for the willingness of our members to make the sacrifice to serve people around the world. We recognize that Church members are interested to know additional details on the logistics of this change as discussed after the announcement and look forward to providing more details as the program moves forward.” Church public announcement.

At BYU Idaho, they have had 5000 young women file their papers for a mission. My high priest group leader knows a bishop there, who is having 8-10 mission interviews per day! I'm guessing that is only a fraction of the number of young men and women everywhere who are suddenly eligible to serve.

At that rate they would have to open another MTC somewhere, or the wait for women to go will end up being more than 6 months. It's already that long for some.

"Time at each of the Church’s 15 Missionary Training Centers (MTCs) will be reduced by one-third for all missionaries."

Church Leaders Share More Information on Missionary Age Requirement Change - Church News and Events

Official statement from the Church newsroom: Church Statement Regarding Increase in Missionary Service Interest

Me thinks urban legend. There are quite a few hoops to jump through before "paperwork" gets submitted. Medical and dental evaluations, interviews with Bishop and Stake President and for boys that would include an interview to be ordained an Elder.

My brother just left on his mission in June. He was ordained an Elder about a month before he left, well after receiving his call. He didn't even interview for it until after he was home from college. I thought it was weird, but that's how it went for him.

Official statement from the Church newsroom: Church Statement Regarding Increase in Missionary Service Interest

My brother just left on his mission in June. He was ordained an Elder about a month before he left, well after receiving his call. He didn't even interview for it until after he was home from college. I thought it was weird, but that's how it went for him.

My son interviewed tonight with the SP and his paperwork will go out this week. I don't see how anyone could have medical and dental exams and received interviews from Bishop and Stake President since General Conference two weeks ago.

The statement specifically says started the process........not applications received, so as I asserted in my answer to the Op's inquiry which was:

Tonight I saw a Facebook graphic saying something to the effect that the LDS Church usually processes about 200 missionary applications per week, but that last week they got 7,000.

This strikes me as highly unlikely. Can anyone comprehensively debunk (or confirm) the assertion?

Edited by bytor2112

My son interviewed tonight with the SP and his paperwork will go out this week. I don't see how anyone could have medical and dental exams and received interviews from Bishop and Stake President since General Conference two weeks ago.

The statement specifically says started the process........not applications received, so as I asserted in my answer to the Op's inquiry which was:

Yep, that makes sense to me. I agree with the timeline conundrum. My medical/dental stuff only took me three weeks start to finish, but I know that's an anomaly.

Can someone tell me what applicants do if they are in school and have education loans? I gather that the applicant has to have financial affairs in order, and the loans only give a 6 month break before repayment starts. Do parents typically pick up the loan during this time? Not everyone goes to BYU or a cheap state school and I'd imagine more than 1 elder has student loans when they apply for their mission.

Can someone tell me what applicants do if they are in school and have education loans? I gather that the applicant has to have financial affairs in order, and the loans only give a 6 month break before repayment starts. Do parents typically pick up the loan during this time? Not everyone goes to BYU or a cheap state school and I'd imagine more than 1 elder has student loans when they apply for their mission.

I suppose that, for a Federal loan, you could use two of your three deferment years. But I would venture to guess that most Mormons who do a year of college before their missions, structure their affairs in such a way that they don't incur student debt - whether it be via scholarship, parental assistance, working while in school, or simply opting for a cheaper education. I knew lots of people who filled GEs at community college and then transferred to a four-year institution after their missions.

A friend of mine on facebook just said "Elder Zwick who is a member of the Quorum of the Seventy was at General Authority Institute week said that before conference they were processing 450 missionary applications per week. This last week they processed 3000". I worked close with this guy at church, so I trust him that that's what he really heard from Elder Zwick. :)

This is the one I heard as well.