LDS Official Holidays?

With the holiday season officially in full swing for essentially the next month, beginning with All Hallows Eve on to Thanksgiving, through to Christmas and Kwanzaa, it made me wonder if there were any officially recognized and celebrated holidays sanctioned by the LDS church? For example, Hanukkah for the Jewish church or the practice of Lent for us Catholics.

I mean in addition to the LDS church's stance on the usual holiday pantheon... does it encourage or discourage the practice of celebrating Christmas and Easter or Halloween (I suspect at least that one, I imagine.) or does the LDS Church not have an official stance on that?

But beyond that, are there any unique LDS holidays or traditions that are recognized annually? I'm not talking about ceremonial ones or like the general convention, but things where you would gather with family and loved ones, give thanks, and exchange gifts, eat treats such as.. I guess tuna casserole according to what I've read and multiple jello dishes?

Maybe even such things like Ramadan?

Thank you, and again if this has been answered previously, I apologize for not being thorough in my searches.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I am a bit jealous that Jewish people have cool Holidays surrounding religious events...I would like a bit more of that in my life. ;) I also find Lent really interesting. I need to learn more about that this year. And yes, I like Kwanza too...I love learning about the traditions of other religions and cultures.

I think that LDS members in their personal views can vary widely on thoughts about Halloween and Christmas due to their origins, however, to my knowledge there is no official church doctrine regarding the issue. LDS Wards quite often have Trunk or Treats Parties (for Halloween) some even include "Spook Alleys". The only thing about Halloween that could be different is that we are asked not to cross-dress or wear masks.

For Christmas, we have many Christmas parties, every LDS home I know of has a Christmas tree and stockings etc. I have seen some warm discussions (not heated discussions, just warm, LOL!) about Santa Claus and where if at all he fits in, but again this is individual members views. Every ward Christmas party I have been to has a visit from Santa Claus.

Many LDS homes include the Easter bunny, the eggs and all that in their celebration of Christ's resurrection.

We have no official holidays, but if you live in Utah, it will feel like July 24th, the day that the first saints arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, is a holiday...complete with parades, and fireworks displays and that sort of thing. Outside of Utah though, it feels like any other day.

Latter-day Saints celebrate the traditional holidays. In fact, Temple Square in Salt Lake City is all decked out for Christmas, and the First Presidency holds a special Christmas Devotional every year. Easter is also an important celebration for most Latter-day Saints.

But in the formal sense of "holiday", like how the Jews celebrated certain holy days during the year, no, we don't have such things. There are no special days of the year when the Lord has commanded us to celebrate. Instead, we celebrate a "holy day" every week on Sunday.

But beyond that, are there any unique LDS holidays or traditions that are recognized annually? I'm not talking about ceremonial ones or like the general convention, but things where you would gather with family and loved ones, give thanks, and exchange gifts, eat treats such as.. I guess tuna casserole according to what I've read and multiple jello dishes?

It's been a while since I lived in Utah. Does the whole state still shut down for Pioneer day?

Hyena - this is a day (July 24) when we celebrate Brigham Young and the first group of pioneers entering the Salt Lake Valley. We had our folks kicked out of upstate NY, out of Ohio, out of Missouri, out of Illinois, and when we ended up in Utah we were done being kicked out of places. It's a state holliday in Utah, but even here in CO where I live, we always celebrate it on the closest weekend with a big chicken BBQ and various pioneer-themed activities. Something common is to re-tell individual family histories of the time. My mom's ancestors were converted in their home on the isle of Jersey back in the 1800's, and heeded the call to come to Zion, and almost starved to death their first winter in Tooele, UT.

Tidbit from looking at Wikipedia: The holiday generates a great deal of road traffic; Utah Department of Public Safety statistics demonstrate that Pioneer Day has the second highest holiday traffic fatality rate in Utah, with the earlier July 4 Independence Day having the highest rate.

We have no official holidays, but if you live in Utah, it will feel like July 24th, the day that the first saints arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, is a holiday...complete with parades, and fireworks displays and that sort of thing. Outside of Utah though, it feels like any other day.

The temples in Utah are also closed down for Pioneer Day. I found that out when I made plans to spend some time in the temple and not being a Utah native didn't think anything about the date being July 24th until I got there and the Temple was closed. I was part way to another temple thinking it was a scheduled closure and I might just go to another temple until it dawned on me it was Pioneer Day.

Edited by Dravin

I must say, I rather like the idea of that... a day where people tell stories of their family history and share more about themselves. And of course BBQ chicken doesn't hurt either.

I have never heard of July 24th. Is that Pioneer's day? I'll check more into it.

Maybe I'll organize something for my LDS friends that live here locally this summer to celebrate pioneer's day and that way I can learn much more about potentially converting!

The LDS Church do not follow a Liturgical Calendar like the Catholics do. Therefore, holidays and such are not Church functions but national/local/family/individual traditions.

It should be noted that local units will often celebrate or recognize a holiday in some way, be it an activity of some sort, choice of topics, or hymn selection. For example, in most wards I've been in there is usually a Halloween/Harvest Party, Christmas Party, Christmas Hymns are selected in December, and the Sunday closest to July 4th tends to have sacrament hymns like America the Beautiful or My Country, 'Tis of Thee (The national anthem is in the hymnbook but I don't recall if I've ever heard it in a Sacrament meeting), and you'll get freedom centered topics more often than not.

Can you tell my experience is American? :D

Edited by Dravin

That's because in Utah, July 24th is an official state holiday. While LDS in other areas may celebrate the pioneers entering Salt Lake Valley around that date, most other states' legislators and governors don't recognize it as important enough to declare it an officially paid holiday. Go figure.

I live in Utah and July 24th is like any other day to me. There hasn't been one that I haven't had to work.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I live in Utah and July 24th is like any other day to me. There hasn't been one that I haven't had to work.

LOL, Pam, I have to work on Christmas, but that doesn't make it like any other day. ;)

I mean in addition to the LDS church's stance on the usual holiday pantheon... does it encourage or discourage the practice of celebrating Christmas and Easter or Halloween (I suspect at least that one, I imagine.) or does the LDS Church not have an official stance on that?

No, we don't have anything to discourage traditional holiday customs. You may be thinking of the Jehovah's Witnesses who do not celebrate holidays - including birthdays - nor do they pledge allegience to the flag and other things.

Hopefully, through the gospel, we will be encouraging a greater emphasis on the faithful parts of holidays - such as Christmas & Easter, and less on the commercial aspects.

Something else that I think of are our holidays for Memorial Day & Veteran's Day. In addition to those who serve in our armed forces, I also think of all the wars fought of in The Book of Mormon as these wars were also fought for freedom of this land.

I think of Captain Moroni - Alma 46:11-13

11 And now it came to pass that when Moroni, who was the chief commander of the armies of the Nephites, had heard of these dissensions, he was angry with Amalickiah.

12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it - In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.

13 And he fastened on his head-plate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land—

I also think of D&C 101:76-80 when I think of the 4th of July:

76 And again I say unto you, those who have been scattered by their enemies, it is my will that they should continue to importune for redress, and redemption, by the hands of those who are placed as rulers and are in authority over you—

77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;

78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.

For Abraham Lincoln's birthday & Martin Luthor King Jr's birthday, we can also consider this historical prophesy:

Doctrine and Covenants 87*

Christopher Columbus was also inspired:

1 Nephi 13:12

12 And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land.

In addition, because the LDS church is the restoration of all things in this last dispensation, we also can appreciate and desire to understand more about the Jewish faith and traditions, because we can see how they intertwine with the restored gospel.

Edited by skippy740
Edited to correct my post from 7th Day Adventists to Jehovah's Witnesses

No, we don't have anything to discourage traditional holiday customs. You may be thinking of the Seventh Day Adventists who do not celebrate holidays - including birthdays - nor do they pledge allegience to the flag and other things.

This isn't entirely true. My cousins are very staunch Seventh Day Adventists and they celebrate holidays. Especially Christmas. However, there is a small growing shoot off from this religion that do not celebrate because they look at it as a pagan holiday. This is a question I asked them when I saw them in June of this year. I had always heard this misconception as well.

Edited by pam

Seventh Day Adventists don't celebrate Easter as they claim there was never a mention of it in the early church days. They do celebrate Christmas but more as a secular holiday than a religious one. They believe Jesus was born before October. I was just trying to point out that a blanket statement made that they don't celebrate holidays or birthdays is incorrect.

It was kind of funny though when I went to my cousins wedding in June. We were sitting at a table with others during the reception. My aunt (her mother) had died a few years ago from cancer. Someone at the table said "It's too bad Sharon couldn't have been here." So my mom said "Oh I think she's here." Major faux pas when you are with SDA's.

Great answers as always. The pioneer day is definitely something I'll try to do for my LDS friends this year. And as a non-LDS member I have to admit that some holidays hold special meaning for me. I'd relay some but.. well, sadly, while most holidays are sentimental to me, deeply so, the sentiment is due to their painful nature and thus difficult for me to recall. But I think it'll give my LDS friends a bit of joy if I show some appreciation for them by celebrating their special holiday each year.

Great answers as always. The pioneer day is definitely something I'll try to do for my LDS friends this year. And as a non-LDS member I have to admit that some holidays hold special meaning for me. I'd relay some but.. well, sadly, while most holidays are sentimental to me, deeply so, the sentiment is due to their painful nature and thus difficult for me to recall. But I think it'll give my LDS friends a bit of joy if I show some appreciation for them by celebrating their special holiday each year.

Just keep in mind that a fair amount of LDS really don't care at all about Pioneer Day. I suppose in Utah/the Jello Belt there is a greater chance they'll care, but your location says San Antonio, don't be surprised if your LDS friends wonder why on earth you're celebrating a Utah holiday. That is to say a lot of us don't identify Pioneer Day as some sort of 'our special holiday'. If you want to celebrate it for your own reasons that's cool, but don't be surprised if the reaction you get about Pioneer Day from individual LDS is, "Meh." I know that'd be mine.

Just keep in mind that a fair amount of LDS really don't care at all about Pioneer Day. I suppose in Utah/the Jello Belt there is a greater chance they'll care, but your location says San Antonio, don't be surprised if your LDS friends wonder why on earth you're celebrating a Utah holiday. That is to say a lot of us don't identify Pioneer Day as some sort of 'our special holiday'. If you want to celebrate it for your own reasons that's cool, but don't be surprised if the reaction you get about Pioneer Day from individual LDS is, "Meh." I know that'd be mine.

LOL Okay thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving though, to you all!