Why are you LDS?

M_T_E

Religion has often been something of interest to me in terms of a field to study in my free time. The vast differences in peoples beliefs has always kept my curiosity.

I was wondering, and this question to any individual on here who feels up to answering.

Why are you a Mormon?

Were you born into a family that was Mormon or a convert?

I am just curious to hear everyone's stories.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was first introduced to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a child, born under the covenant of a sealed marriage.

Both my parents are converts to the Mormon faith. They taught me. They instructed me. They made sure I went to church every Sunday.

To keep a longer story shorter, I am a member because I have received many revelations and witnesses that this is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Without these witnesses I would most likely have chosen the path of a deist.

I was born into the church and have been a member for more than 50 years.

My dad wasn't a member until I was about 6 years old. Both my parents taught us and set the best example they could. Not saying they were perfect.

I can't remember a time that I didn't believe. I don't think I've ever even had doubts. I know some will say that all members have had doubts at some time. I feel that I can honestly say that I have never had any doubt regarding the truthfulness of the gospel and that the Mormon faith is the one I should belong to. Doesn't mean that I have always followed the teachings. Sometimes far from it. But I have never lost the testimony I have gained over the years.

Guest LiterateParakeet

How curious are you? Long answer or short answer? ;) Here's the shortest long answer I can manage. . .

Although my ancestors were Mormon Pioneers, some knew "Bro. Joseph" and crossed the plains with "Bro. Brigham", my mother chose not to be active in the church. I grew up far away from my extended family and without any religion at all.

When I was 10 yrs old, I had a "boyfriend" (whatever that means to kids that age, LOL!), and he told me he had leukemia and would probably die. I was so confused by that. I mean what happens when you die? Is it just like going to sleep...forever? Ewww, I didn't like that idea.

So I started attending different churches. It was in the South, so I would guess many of the Baptist/Born Again Christian variety. I don't remember them all, but my mom said I went to several. I do remember that she would give me a dime for the collection plate and drop me off. (Thanks Mom :rolleyes:).

Attending these churches I heard a lot about Heaven and Hell. I thought that was much better than sleeping forever, and yet...would I go to Heaven of Hell? I really did not know. I mean, I didn't really think I was so bad I needed to go to Hell, but was I good enough to go to Heaven???

One day a preacher was inviting people to accept Christ into their hearts and come forward and be baptised. I thought, "OH that's what I need to do so I can go to Heaven. Be baptized." So I went forward to do that, and as you can imagine they said I couldn't do that without my parents permission.

I went home and asked my mom. She said we were about to move and she would like me to attend the Mormon church (there weren't any where we lived at the time, but we were moving to a predominately Mormon area). She said after I learned about the Mormon Church, I could chose for myself.

Once we moved, I quickly got invited to church and began attending an LDS (Mormon) church. When I learned that Mormons don't believe in Heaven and Hell in the traditional sense, but in Three Degrees of Glory, I was thrilled. That made so much sense to me. I mean when there is just Heaven and Hell where do you draw the line? Can you imagine being "close but not quite...". Yikes!

Basically, I joined that church for that principle, which I still love. I remember when I had my baptismal interview the Bishop asked me if I believed in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith the prophet...I had no idea about either, but I thought, "Well, if this church believes it I believe it." So I said yes. (Hey, don't judge me I was only 12 years old and had no parental support. I did the best I could. I am still the only one of my original family, i.e. parents and siblings that is active in the church.)

Since then I learned other aspects and principles of the gospel, and gained a testimony. I have read the Book of Mormon many times. ;) I know the things about our history and Joseph Smilth that sometimes cause people to stumble (they are not an issue for me.)

I am just recovering from a faith crisis, but it was about God, not about the gospel. For me it has been if there is a God, then it's the LDS Church. Fortunately the relationship with Father in Heaven that I developed in the previous years, helped me get through this last few years when the jaws of Hell have gaped after me.

And THAT is why I am LDS. I believe in God, and I believe this is where He wants me to be.

Inviting Jesus into ones heart reminds me of an alternative we had to Baptism while I was an active Christian. I was however never Baptised.

I think I recall my "spiritual birthday" being in July of 2000.

So far I have seen several good stories! Hopefully more come along.

Because it feels right.

I'm a Utah girl born and raised in the Church, but I do feel I went through my own particular conversion. Nothing fancy, but in jr. high I began to consider the big questions and just what I wanted out of spirituality. All of it's led me back to being Mormon.

D&C Section 1

1 Hearken, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together...

17 Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments...

29 And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon.

30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually...

I am a member of this church because it is true. It is where the authority to act in God's name is found, wherein saving ordinances such as baptism are found and no where else. I am a member because the Lord through His Holy Spirit has witnessed to me that this is His church wherein His work, which is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, is being performed and will continue to be performed throughout the millennium during His reign of peace until He declares that His work is finished and He presents a celestial earth to His Father.

Religion has often been something of interest to me in terms of a field to study in my free time. The vast differences in peoples beliefs has always kept my curiosity.

I was wondering, and this question to any individual on here who feels up to answering.

Why are you a Mormon?

Two of the greatest people I have ever known are my parents that taught me by example and raised me as LDS.

I remain LDS because as an engineer and scientist I have found no other religion, philosophy or discipline that comes closer to explaining history and traditions as well as encouraging the comprehension of science and all truths. Being LDS is the most (spiritually) enlightening and actually logical approach to life I have found.

The Traveler

First and foremost, I am a believer. I feel the holy ghost testify and confirm the truth over and over throughout my life. I know and recognize that feeling from God, and it confirms to me that Jesus is the Christ and the Joseph Smith was his prophet.

Secondary to that, I study gospel principles (the concept, not the manual). The things Joseph Smith revealed are amazing. I study concepts like the per-existence, degrees of glory, salvation for the dead, temple worship, the workings of the spirit world, the nature of the Godhead, etc. And I have not found any church that fits so completely with the Bible. There is simply no church that has as much truth as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. No church even comes close. Now, I consider this a side effect of being God's church, but it is a powerful witness that Joseph Smith had insight into God's truth that are unparalleled in any other religious leader.

And the church organization is amazing too, from welfare to Sunday services to a lay ministry to the missionary program. It's just an amazing system that works too well for it not to have the hand of God involved.

Hidden

I have been down many dark roads in my life and am so eternally grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel a deep sense of sorrow and remorse that I caused the Savior to suffer for my transgressions in Gethsemane and on the cross at Golgotha. I have been on a wonderful spiritual journey since March of 2005. As I look back, I see how far I have come and as I look forward, how far I have yet to travel. Thankfully, the journey doesn't end here, but continues on for Eternity. It is my sincere prayer that we may all be partakers of the Living Waters and reflect on just how merciful our Heavenly Father is and how much we are loved. By the power and witness of the Holy Spirit and through many sacred moments these past nearly eight years I have come to know for myself, independent of any other person, that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. He is our Savior and Redeemer and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days, of which I am so indescribably fortunate to be a member is his church. This is his work and his glory and I am grateful to be a small part of it and subscribe my life to his service. In the name of all that is Holy, even the Lord Jesus Christ-Amen.

One of the issues I have often had with religion is often the fact that the very mention of science is almost shunned. One of the many reasons I have no desire to return to my former church. Talk of science was almost completely forbidden.

Ironically, however, is that building a tangible relationship with Jesus Christ requires the scientific method:

1. Ask a question

2. Conduct research

3. Construct Hypothesis

4. Test Hypothesis

5. Analyze data and draw conclusion

6. Report results

Let's take the Book of Mormon for example.

1. Is the Book of Mormon true?

2. Read and research the experiences and witnesses of those before us. How did they do it?

3. Does God exist? Is Jesus Christ His Son? Do I really receive answers in the manner, which God has prescribed in the scriptures? Am I ready and willing to act upon the truth and live my life accordingly?

4. Moroni 10: 2-5

2 And I seal up these records, after I have spoken a few words by way of exhortation unto you.

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

5. Did I receive a witness? If yes, record witness as many others have. No witness? Am I sincere? Do I have faith in Christ? What is faith?

Alma 22: 18 O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day...

6. Record your experience as others have.

For many this requires starting over and over again reconstructing a hypothesis. If there is a God and He has established a protocol, what is that protocol? What does it take for me to conduct the experiment correctly? Faith? Humility?

16 Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe.

17 Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe.

18 Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it.

19 And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?

20 Now of this thing ye must judge. Behold, I say unto you, that it is on the one hand even as it is on the other; and it shall be unto every man according to his work.

21 And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.

22 And now, behold, I say unto you, and I would that ye should remember, that God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therefore he desireth, in the first place, that ye should believe, yea, even on his word.

23 And now, he imparteth his word by angels unto men, yea, not only men but women also. Now this is not all; little children do have words given unto them many times, which confound the wise and the learned.

24 And now, my beloved brethren, as ye have desired to know of me what ye shall do because ye are afflicted and cast out—now I do not desire that ye should suppose that I mean to judge you only according to that which is true—

25 For I do not mean that ye all of you have been compelled to humble yourselves; for I verily believe that there are some among you who would humble themselves, let them be in whatsoever circumstances they might.

26 Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.

27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

29 Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge.

30 But behold, as the seed swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, then you must needs say that the seed is good; for behold it swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow. And now, behold, will not this strengthen your faith? Yea, it will strengthen your faith: for ye will say I know that this is a good seed; for behold it sprouteth and beginneth to grow.

31 And now, behold, are ye sure that this is a good seed? I say unto you, Yea; for every seed bringeth forth unto its own likeness.

32 Therefore, if a seed groweth it is good, but if it groweth not, behold it is not good, therefore it is cast away.

33 And now, behold, because ye have tried the experiment, and planted the seed, and it swelleth and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, ye must needs know that the seed is good.

34 And now, behold, is your knowledge perfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant; and this because you know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand.

35 O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernible, therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect?

36 Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faith to plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good.

37 And behold, as the tree beginneth to grow, ye will say: Let us nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit unto us. And now behold, if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit.

38 But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out.

39 Now, this is not because the seed was not good, neither is it because the fruit thereof would not be desirable; but it is because your ground is barren, and ye will not nourish the tree, therefore ye cannot have the fruit thereof.

40 And thus, if ye will not nourish the word, looking forward with an eye of faith to the fruit thereof, ye can never pluck of the fruit of the tree of life.

41 But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

42 And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst.

43 Then, my brethren, ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you.

Long story.

Short version: I was raised Catholic, and was very active and believing most of my life (I was not "poorly catechized" as some Catholic critics would claim of those that leave). Became aware of the LDS Church after randomly finding out about it, and feeling like I had to disprove it over at Catholic Answers Forums, since there could only be "one true Church", and I believed that that was the Catholic Church.

The more I read the Bible, as well as early Israelite and Christian history, beliefs, and practices, the more the LDS faith made sense to me, and seemed to be what it claimed to be: the restoration of Christ's Church, by Jesus Christ Himself. It was a very hard decision, but after much study and prayer, I was baptized. There are things I miss from being Catholic, but I know without a doubt that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really is Christ's Church.

Funny, I was watching this Evangelical documentary about a group of former missionaries that left the LDS Church and became Evangelical. Many of them talked about how they read the Bible and realized that Mormonism wasn't Biblical, how they never really read the Bible before, etc. I have the completely opposite experience: the more I read the Bible (I'm reading the New Testament currently), the more I see the LDS faith as Biblical Christianity. It is because of reading the Bible, the words of Jesus Christ, believing in Him, accepting Him as my Savior, that I am a Latter-day Saint.

One of the issues I have often had with religion is often the fact that the very mention of science is almost shunned. One of the many reasons I have no desire to return to my former church. Talk of science was almost completely forbidden.

That would bother me, too.

I have yet to run into too many fellow Mormons who are anti-science. I personally see no reason why science and religion can't get along.

I was not born into the church although my family became members when I was two. Then they fell into activity. They always believed but circumstances were such that they were not active. I grew up in a strong LDS town. Nevertheless I was always an outsider. The missionaries taught my brothers and I when I was 12 and the ones old enough were baptized then. We attended church and MIA and seminary.

I am like Pam. I have always known it was true. My mom once told me that she would have joined the church even without a spiritual testimony because the Book of Mormon was real. The church is real and it makes sense. Then on top of that is the clincher and that is that it is also spiritually real. It is the truth. We have little problem with science because we believe in all things that are true. We may not know all things that are true but if they are true we believe them if you can understand what I am saying. IF it were true and creation was in 6 days then we believe that is true even if it makes little sense. Few of us believe that is literally true though. :)

God is a great truth. His church is true. Jesus lived and died for us and that is truth. We have a great plan that is for our salvation and that is truth. Diamond are made from carbon and that is truth. The sky is blue because of the way the light hits our atmosphere so yes we believe that too.

Guest DeborahC

I have always been fascinated with religions and have joined many, thinking the way to get to know a belief system was to plop down in the middle of it.

I was first introduced to the Mormon missionaries in about 1975 when a fundamentalist Christian friend of mine asked me to invite them over. When I found out it was so she could corner them and bash them, I was mortified. She was no longer a friend. Much of what they said (when she let them talk) rang true to my spirit, and I found myself curious to know more.

Then in 1979, I made an LDS friend in an apartment where I lived. She brought me a cake to invite me to the neighborhood! After we got to know each other, I told her my story and she asked me to have the missionaries over again.

I went through several sets of missionaries- and a set of older Priesthood members - before I decided to join.

Why did I join? Well, honestly, because they taught a lot of what I already believed to be true.

I believed I had a Mother in Heaven.

I believed it was possible that Joseph had a vision.

I believed there was more than this life to "it"

It made sense that we were constantly progressing

The people were nice and had a "light" about them

The lessons were uplifting and helpful

My children were welcome

I loved the community.

Back then, we met on three different days/evenings. The meetings weren't consolidated yet. I actually liked that better - and I really miss homemaking meeting! I am an artist, so this also felt right.

I have come and gone over the years for many reasons.

I'm back now - it's my plan to stay.

Do I have a STRONG testimony of the Gospel?

I'd like to shout, 'YES!' but the truth is

I'm working on it.

Right now, I just know I believe most of it and want to believe the rest.

And I know it's the best place to be and the most comfortable.

I'm not sure those are good reasons, but they're mine.

I have to agree with Jason_J, that I find the Mormon church the most biblical. Coming from a 'we don't need to read the Bible' Catholicism, I'm constantly amazed that when I have a question about what the LDS do and why, someone will point out a Bible passage to me and there is the answer.

I live in the town that was the starting point for the handcart companies. I'd never heard of them before moving here. I live near 'Mormon Trek Blvd.' HF was sending me a message! One summer I thought I'd do my summer reading on Mormons since I didn't know anything about them, but was surrounded by their history. I remember repeatedly jumping up from my readings to find my son and tell him what I'd just learned about the Mormons.

I kept finding things that were so attractive to me, getting excited about it, but also backing off - I couldn't become Mormon, could I? Aren't they fundamentalists and against science and learning? Don't they keep women subjugated? Was there still institutionalized racism? Do they hate rock and roll? : )

Long story short, I found an old college friend on FB and found he'd converted from Catholicism to LDS. He was a great resource and as we both shared a social and religious history, I knew I could count on what he was telling me about the Church. I also watched a General Conference and was just floored at this first look at a bunch o'Mormons together. I don't know what I thought would happen, but it was just so calming and homey. Then maybe 2 weeks later, the missionaries knocked on my door and the rest is history.

I'm not going to relay it here, but once I'd been a member for a bit and had read about missionaries who had stories about their investigators, I asked the elder who knocked on my door if he had a story about me (he used to come back to my town for zone meetings, so I'd see him off and on long after he'd left our ward). He had such a wonderful story about how he came to knock on my door, how what happened had increased his testimony. I get chills thinking about it.

All this to say that I believe the spirit had a hand in my coming here and being surrounded by Mormon history. I don't know if I would have had the same response to the missionaries if I were living elsewhere. It's like HF knew what would appeal to me as an individual (history and learning) as a way to lead me to the spiritual side.

Why are you a Mormon?

Most LDS will confess they aren’t ‘Mormon’; but rather, they will emphasize that Mormon was a commander, prophet (?), and historian who helped abridge their sacred text. At least that’s what I was taught in priesthood classes years ago.

I am a convert. I joined the church at age 8. My parents were mostly inactive. I spent most of my life popping in-and-out of church—attending for a few weeks out of a year (the actives will know what I’m talking about)—until I finally grew drained.

I converted because I was told to. After several meeting with the missionaries coming to my parent’s house, I was told to go to the upstairs room and pray. I still distinctly remember the experience with the lights being turned off and the cold, hard wood floor making my knees ache. Nothing happened…but fearing punishment I reported I should join.

Honestly, the answers I have received here have been the most genuine I have ever "heard"/seen. I was not given a choice in my path as a child, but I have no regrets.

I accidentally ended up at the Portland temple recently, spoke with missionaries in the visitor center and there was nothing awkward at all about that time there. Interesting to say that while on Temple Grounds there was a strange calming peace about me.

Got sent on my way with the Book of Mormon and over the past several days I have done a great deal of online research and skimmed through Nephi.

In a way I can agree with alot of the views of the Church.

I know about the Golden Plates, Thomas S. Monson, Words of Wisdom, ect. From what I see before me is a not just one of the quickest growing religions in the world but also one that has good values and is closer knit than what I grew up with.

It's sad to see how misunderstood the LDS Church is to those who don't take the time to research, learn and ask about it. Alot of the common misunderstandings that I was led to originally believe have essentially been cleared up at this point.

How many of you have served missions? What was that experience like?

Hidden

Honestly, the answers I have received here have been the most genuine I have ever "heard"/seen. I was not given a choice in my path as a child, but I have no regrets.

I accidentally ended up at the Portland temple recently, spoke with missionaries in the visitor center and there was nothing awkward at all about that time there. Interesting to say that while on Temple Grounds there was a strange calming peace about me.

Got sent on my way with the Book of Mormon and over the past several days I have done a great deal of online research and skimmed through Nephi.

In a way I can agree with alot of the views of the Church.

I know about the Golden Plates, Thomas S. Monson, Words of Wisdom, ect. From what I see before me is a not just one of the quickest growing religions in the world but also one that has good values and is closer knit than what I grew up with.

It's sad to see how misunderstood the LDS Church is to those who don't take the time to research, learn and ask about it. Alot of the common misunderstandings that I was led to originally believe have essentially been cleared up at this point.

How many of you have served missions? What was that experience like?