Get rid of it!

Bini

I watched a segment on cutthroat organisation in your home. So one of the things heavily emphasised on was getting rid of things your kid created. It talked about how it's easy to hold onto generic knickknacks, that your child made, that you've put irreplaceable sentimental value on. An example given was throwing out drawings done by your child. It noted that as much as parents love these darling illustrations, it becomes problematic to hang on to every doodle, causing unnecessary clutter and pile ups. The recommendation was to set a time limit of how long you keep a drawing (say a few days or so on the fridge) and then discreetly discard it. If your child is prone to attachment with things he or she made, snap a picture of said item with the child for keepsake, and then it can be thrown out.

I'm a minimalist and don't like excess of anything around the house. But since having my daughter, I'm finding it harder to let go of this or that, just things in general that remind me of her newborn stage or even a milestone achievement. Like her first onesie she wore for leaving the hospital.. Tear jerker! My husband was far less attached and felt that it should be D.I'd since fabric deteriorates over time and it's not like we don't have plenty, maybe more than necessary, memorable pictures. I also felt compelled to keep her 1-year birthday candle.. Again, my husband mouths, "Why?" I guess these keepsakes are more for myself and has little to do with whether my daughter will really want them in 20 years from now..

So how do you do it? Getting rid of things you feel hold sentimental value? (Maybe I'll feel less inclined to keep stuff when we're on baby number 2?)

I think throwing everything out will eventually be noticed by a child. Keep the important things. They are easy to recognize. They are usually well done for their age and have a story or thought or lesson behind them. Keep a scrap book or designate a box. When the child is older then go through the box and downsize. I was surprised what sparked memories with my children when they got older. I was also surprised that some of what I thought was important wasn't important to them anymore. But... I'm glad I kept what I kept. They knew their work was important to me...... even if they did roll their eyes. :)

EDIT: Keeping every doodle isn't necessary. A white board is great when they are toddlers. :)

My Mother gave me recently a booklet I made in pre-school that had my profile cut our on paper, some Q&A about how I saw life and some doodles. It was very cool to show my kids that I wasnt much different.

Now if she handed me a boxfull of items that looks just like what my kids do, it would have been too much. I think keeping a few items that reflect who you were and how you thought are the best items.

I think Men in Women in general are different in this aspect. My wife wants to save a lot, I on the other hand have to talk her into throwing a lot of stuff out. I do like the idea of taking a picture of art work. I think I will start scanning those in and making a folder on the computer for that. Thanks Bini!

I like the idea of scanning the drawings/art and making a book out of them, if you have a hard time letting go. (See here: Keepsakes / My daughter has just started preschool and is coming home with creations each time, so I've started thinking about various artwork solutions. I like this idea.)

I saw another idea once, where some adult children had to go through their childhood home after burying their parents. They had a hard time getting rid of things, because there was so much of sentimental value. So before taking on any purging project, they took photographs of every room, every hallway, etc., exactly as they remembered it. They were later able to bind those photographs into a book for each of them, and not feel guilty about forgetting anything.

I understand attaching sentiment to a few things. Putting my daughter in my own baby blessing dress, for example, was an emotional experience for me.

Edited by Wingnut

I don't agree. I cherish everything my kids make for me and have special drawer to put them all. In 30 years when they are all grown up, I actually have a piece of the past that can remind me of how they were, what was going through their head, and how they viewed life. If I throw it all away, all I have is faded memories and, most likely, regrets that I tossed everything because I thought it might cause clutter. But then again, I'm a sentimental person.

I doubt the desire to keep mementos will ease after 2 kids. It didnt after 8. In moving etc I have few of them left but each brings back great memories.

I feel like if you have room for them keep whatever you want. Papers pretty thin after all. 40 years from now they may not be interested in them but they will be interested that you didnt care to save them.

I still have many of the art projects that my kids did. I didn't keep all of them. I've been toying with the idea of having them transferred to fabric and making pillows out of them that I can place around my home and on beds.

I have decorative boxes that I keep things in. I save certificates, ribbons, and special handmade items that they have made throughout the years in their classrooms. I also keep really cool drawings. Both my kids are artistic and I love having samples of their creativity.

A suggestion: buy them sketch books. My son has several sketch books, so that instead of keeping up with individual sheets of paper, he can just keep his sketch books on his desk or bookcase.

My daughter has a different set up. She likes designing clothing with templates, so she uses onion paper with her templates. She has a case that stores her pencils, paper, and templates.

Sketch books and special cases are not only good for storage, but it allows for portability too. My kids enjoy being able to take their stuff on road-trips.

With their personal drawings, they are in charge of what to keep or not. However, with the things they give to me from school, I am in charge of what to keep or not. I am a firm believer of everything having a place and everything staying in it's place. So far, in the 12 years of being a parent, the assigned boxes for pics and for hodge-podge have not run out of room.

Retailers have really cool inexpensive plastic drawer-bins for storage. I use these for crafts and stuff. Each bin could be used for a different child. Use a label maker to place the child's name on the outside of "their" drawer. Periodically, go through the draws and re-evaluate whether you still want the item(s) stored in the drawer.

I follow these rules:

• If my house is full, then what do I need to get rid of in order to get something new?
  • If I haven't seen or used it in over a year, I re-evaluate it's value. Trash? Donate? Keep? Re-purpose?
I don't feel guilty about the things I keep. My house is neat, organized, and to my liking. That doesn't mean that it is always neat. I actually live in my home, and there are days that I just don't have the energy or desire to undo what my kids have done. :lol:

I like the idea of a box or folders to keep the adorable things the kids create <3 I think it's important to realize you don't have to have everything perfect all the time. You can have drawings on the fridge, on the coffee table, and you'll still be a good example.

In my house pictures have a shelf life of how long Gwendolyn leaves them alone lol.

Guest DeborahC

I still have a box of items made by each son, and they're all over 30.

I eventually would like to have a quilt made for each one using their childhood art and clothing.

I did scan much of their art and keep it on a disk now.

I like to scan or take pics of things and then let the kids keep it.

At first I wanted to save things so when the kids brought them home they became mine, in some folder or something (especially certificates and ribbons). But then nothing happened with them. I told myself they would want them one day so I was "keeping it safe for them". And then I realized, they want them today. When they are 30 they won't care about the old worn out 1st grade all A ribbon they got. They are proud today. So now I take a picture and then they get to have it. They carry it around, wear it, play with it, pin it on the wall and whatever else makes their heart happy. And then when it's falling apart I ask them if it's time to throw it away or do they want to put it in their folder. They usually throw it away.

They do sometimes bring home special projects (like painting on a canvas) and those are different. I have a specific room just for kids art and it's their own little gallery. Even nice seasonal stuff stays up all year. They seem to enjoy that as well.

I still have many of the art projects that my kids did. I didn't keep all of them. I've been toying with the idea of having them transferred to fabric and making pillows out of them that I can place around my home and on beds.

This is a fantastic idea.

Anyone seen Step Mom? Well, the biological mother is dying from cancer and she leaves behind two young children who are torn over their sick mother and the new step mom that they believe is taking her place. Well before she dies, she decides to put all their memories (photos) onto a large quilt for each child, and that's her gift to them. It's so sad but the ending is a happy one.

Another idea is to have the artwork put into hardback books that you can have made. Might get a bit pricey if you try to do every single piece of artwork..but it's another idea.

Speaking of hanging onto mementos forever, my grandma had this white enamel pan that she loved but everyone else hated because that thing burned everything you cooked in it. After she died mom and I couldn't bring ourselves to throw the pan away because it was hers, we kept that stupid thing for years. We tried to use it a few times but that pan could burn water. I finally tossed it last year and then felt guilty about it for a month. I am going to be so bad if I ever have kids, I just know I'll hang on to every drawing and art project forever, I feel guilty when I throw sentimental things away. Wouldn't surprise me if I ended up on hoarders someday. :rolleyes:

Speaking of hanging onto mementos forever, my grandma had this white enamel pan that she loved but everyone else hated because that thing burned everything you cooked in it. After she died mom and I couldn't bring ourselves to throw the pan away because it was hers, we kept that stupid thing for years. We tried to use it a few times but that pan could burn water. I finally tossed it last year and then felt guilty about it for a month. I am going to be so bad if I ever have kids, I just know I'll hang on to every drawing and art project forever, I feel guilty when I throw sentimental things away. Wouldn't surprise me if I ended up on hoarders someday. :rolleyes:

Could have put a plant (African violet) in it.