Eldest son just got his mission call.

mikbone

He reports to the Preston England MTC in July, and will be in the Leeds England Mission!

My #2 son will turn in his papers in 3 weeks.

I received my call back in '89 and the packet my son got was much more informative than the one that I got. I remember that after I opened mine, all I can recall is wondering where in the world Orsorno, Chile was located. Then we had to make a trip to the local library and get out an atlas and Encyclopedia.

His call was an entire 30 page handout with pictures (country & mission president), maps, addresses, e-mail addresses, well organized instructions, etc. We then jumped onto the internet and were able to pull up hundreds of images of the country. An excellent 20 minute video of the Preston England MTC. And view various blogs with pictures and stories of Leeds missionaries currently in the field.

He submitted his papers 2 weeks ago so the turn around was quick, and our bishop knew that the call went out last week.

He will be getting papers for the visa soon, and the Church will set up the flight plans and send the plane ticket a couple weeks before his departure. The cost of the mission is $400 monthly.

This will be a great experience for my son.

Anyone here been to an England mission and have some advice?

There is a fellow, Paris Demario Thomas, who just came back from Leeds less than a year ago. He is on Face Book, you might send him a message.

Paris is featured in the Mormon.org videos 'I'm a Mormon.' He's a young black guy who lost one brother to street crime. He converted, went out to Utah to school, did his mission, and has just returned. I'm sure he will be happy to respond to you - if he can tear himself away from the ladies. By the looks of his FB page, he's quite in demand. : )

There is a fellow, Paris Demario Thomas, who just came back from Leeds less than a year ago. He is on Face Book, you might send him a message.

Paris is featured in the Mormon.org videos 'I'm a Mormon.' He's a young black guy who lost one brother to street crime. He converted, went out to Utah to school, did his mission, and has just returned. I'm sure he will be happy to respond to you - if he can tear himself away from the ladies. By the looks of his FB page, he's quite in demand. : )

It's so hard to believe that Paris has gone and come back already. I remember when he got his call and left for his mission.

• 9 months later...

I used to live in Preston, but that was back in the 1980s so I expect it's totally changed from then. I remember Avenham Park was a nice place to visit - I used to go there to read and unwind after work, or if I had a bit more time I'd drive over to Lythham Saint Annes and walk along the seafront. I don't suppose your son will get much time to explore though :(