Kate Hunt and Statutory Rape Laws

prisonchaplain

The local PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians And Gays) withheld support for the Free Kate cause specifically because the group stated that it was easy to research and confirm that heterosexuals were prosecuted in these cases.

Free Kate? Local PFLAG chapter not championing for Kaitlyn Hunt - West Palm Beach Top News | Examiner.com

Edited by prisonchaplain

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this latest column proves the lie in the #freekate movement's contention that Kaitlyn Hunt is getting especially harsh prosecution. The article basically says that the ages in this case, the fact that both were girlfriends/acquaintances, and the charges are all very AVERAGE. Furthermore, the lie that everyone is doing it (in high school) is exposed. Kelly Hunt (Kate's mom) says in her blog that 99.9% of teens are doing it. Polls say it's more like 27%.

The #FreeKate Case Is Typical : The Other McCain

• 1 month later...

The prosecutor offered her a new deal--3 years probation and 150 hours of community service. Her record would have been wiped clean.

... Then it's revealed that Hunt has kept up contact with her victim, sending/receiving 20,000 texts, including lewd pictures and videos--all after an agreed to no contact order. Hunt's mother also communicated with the victim, telling her to delete everything.

Kate may go to jail. Maybe the mother should too?

Kaitlyn Hunt still having 'intimate physical contact' with underage girlfriend, state claims | Treasure Coast News - WPBF Home

It used to be if the adult (which I don't consider an 18 year old to be) was within 3 or 4 years of the minors age and it was consensual, they could not call it statutory rape.

The older girl should take the plea bargain, she has nothing to gain by rejecting it and everything to loose - rejecting it would just prove shes not an adult no matter her age.

I tend to agree that had it been a normal boy/girl thing that the parents wouldn't have taken it this far.

18 year olds and sex just don't think they just want it. And remember we're not talking about Church members here - there is no stigma about teens and sex in many/most cases.

Edited by mnn727

When I was a teenaged male from about 14 onwards, the idea of "too young" was etched in my consciousness. And I was celibate.

If straight males have to get that concept down, then so do straight females--gender equality, and all. And if straights of both genders have to get that concept down, then gays also need to understand the idea--equal treatment, and all.

Twenty years ago, straight males in their late teens and early twenties were told in no uncertain terms that their gender and their sexuality made them "potential rapists". Well, welcome to the modern era of inclusion. Feminists and gays said they wanted equality and in this case they're getting it--good and hard.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I'll repeat an earlier mentioned statistic hear. Yes, roughly 60% of 18-year-olds have engaged in sex. BUT, only about 6% of 14-year-olds have. This case is aggravated by the lying, cover-up, and social-media campaigning done by the alleged perp's family. Then, this latest. My guess is that the offer of a plea may be revoked. This young lady is going to jail--at least pretrial. As for the lesbian angle--most statutory rape cases are heterosexual, and plenty of 18-year olds are serving serious prison time. It depends on the state. In Florida, the age of consent is 16.

It used to be? Well, I remember that in liberal Washington State, it used to be that "16 will get you 20." 4 years is an eternity, when it's high school seniors (18 year olds at that) and frosh.

Any sympathy I might have had for Kate dissappeared with this latest. The mother seems to be an enabler.

I caught that about the bounty company, but did not know what to make of it. JAG, does this mean that she did not turn herself in? Could it simply be that the bond company would no longer back her bond, and so she turned herself in with the company of the bond agent? Or, do the circumstances mean that she had the chance to just turn herself in, but chose instead to make the bond agent come and get her? It's sort of straining at details, but will the judge look at this as her compliance, resistance, or will it not matter?

I caught that about the bounty company, but did not know what to make of it. JAG, does this mean that she did not turn herself in? Could it simply be that the bond company would no longer back her bond, and so she turned herself in with the company of the bond agent? Or, do the circumstances mean that she had the chance to just turn herself in, but chose instead to make the bond agent come and get her? It's sort of straining at details, but will the judge look at this as her compliance, resistance, or will it not matter?

I'm making a leap, and they could of course do things differently in Florida (I'm only licensed in Utah).

But I've never had a bail bond rep accompany a client to the jail during a voluntary surrender. There's no point to it. At least in Utah, generally you'd still need a court order to release the bond back to the bondsman; so having him turn up at the jail wouldn't facilitate that transaction.

No; methinks the bail bondsman thought she'd run, got squeamish, and sent a bounty hunter to bring her in.

I'm still wondering if they might bring the mother up on obstruction of justice (she texted the victim, telling her to delete everything, and to say nothing)? Personally, I'd go further, since I'm convinced she knew about the liason that took place overnight in her home.

Hunt, herself, has argued the sex was consensual, but Florida law considers it a felony offense to have sex with a person under the age of 16.

I'm going to say it, and please don't kill me for it...

Most (if not all) sex offenders/rapists will say that it was consensual, even if it wasn't.

Okay, let's get this over with...

I just wish the media would quit calling it a consensual relationship, and then immediately saying the state law declares 16 the age of consent. By definition statutory rape means that there was no force, but no consent--because "by statute" this was rape.

There is a lot of subliminal bias in favor of this young rapist.

UPDATE: Kate Hunt's attorney says we have it all wrong. This was innocent teen romance, the 14-year old's parents are abusive (they hit her once, yelled at her, took her to an anti-gay church), and the Prosecution is unethical for putting into public testimony overly-detailed examples of the texting.

Kaitlyn Hunt's attorney issues statement in case | Photo gallery » TCPalm.com

I thought the attorney was being quiet because, after all, what do you say when your client violates a no contact order so blatatanly? Then again, I had an inkling that the only way forward was to insist that the behavior was evidence that this really was love.

SIGH

UPDATE: Kate Hunt's attorney says we have it all wrong. This was innocent teen romance, the 14-year old's parents are abusive (they hit her once, yelled at her, took her to an anti-gay church), and the Prosecution is unethical for putting into public testimony overly-detailed examples of the texting.

Kaitlyn Hunt's attorney issues statement in case | Photo gallery » TCPalm.com

I thought the attorney was being quiet because, after all, what do you say when your client violates a no contact order so blatatanly? Then again, I had an inkling that the only way forward was to insist that the behavior was evidence that this really was love.

SIGH

There is a difference between being a friend and being stupid. Had Hunt not sent the 14yo those "sexts" and kept it casual while on court order, then this would not be as big a deal.

I am honestly wondering if Hunt is trying to see just how deep a hole she can dig herself into. Shall I pop popcorn?

I wondered why this case niggled at me so. The lawyer has now made this a direct attack on most Christians. My guess is that their only defense now is to say Kate persisted because she was truly in love, and could not help herself.

My personal feelings: sex is sex. It does not matter if you have it with a man, woman, hermaphrodite, goat, your car, it does not matter. It is sex, and if you are not supposed to have it, you are not supposed to have it, no if, ands, or buts. One person was 18, the other was 14. It is wrong, end of story.

Gretchen, I agree.

However, how does that translate in my neck of the woods, where 63% have no religious affiliation, and many of the parents and teachers were sexually active in their mid-teens? There is a segment of our society that sees this as teen love. Some of the reports I've read suggest that the Hunt family had few boundaries, and that from her parents end, they had no issues, and were quite surprised to learn that the victim's parents did not know/approve of the relationship. All this explains why their attorney can only cry romance, and blame the victim's parents for their bigotry.