To Be Happy

Finrock

This is a simple question: Is it a commandment for us to be happy?

Regards,

Finrock

Yes. But even so many prefer to be miserable. I think it is because some do not know how to be happy - and others; when they find out the price of happiness, they do not think it is worth the effort.

The Traveler

If it's not a commandment, it's at least our purpose. "Men are that they might have joy."

Somewhat related, I found a new app this week called "Happier." It's a social network dedicated to sharing happy moments. It's based on the idea that people who write down at least three positive moments from each day are happier people.

Traveller and Wingnut,

Thank you both for your replies. I think it is a commandment too, but I can't find any explicit commandment or anything that could construed as a direct commandment to be happy.

The closest I can think of in the scriptures is the commandment for us to obey the commandments.

Regards,

Finrock

Must we be commanded in every aspect of our lives? Must we tie the law around even this? Isn't it obvious that the Lord wants us to be happy?

If someone is so far from the Spirit that they don't think the great God of Heaven wants them to be happy then I say no amount of commandment will ever accomplish the purpose.

Good evening james12. I hope you have had a wonderful Sunday! :)

Must we be commanded in every aspect of our lives?

No. In fact, God has said in D&C 58 the following:

"26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward."

Must we tie the law around even this?

Yes, I believe we must. I believe all truth is circumscribed in to one whole. I think it is profitable to tie all truth together.

Isn't it obvious that the Lord wants us to be happy?

It is obvious to me that the Lord wants us to be happy.

If someone is so far from the Spirit that they don't think the great God of Heaven wants them to be happy then I say no amount of commandment will ever accomplish the purpose.

Maybe, maybe not.

james12, I don't know what you think my purpose in starting this thread is, but I simply want to know for the sake of knowledge whether God has ever given the commandment for us to be happy. I am not doubting that God wants us to be happy. I know that He does. However, I am just curious if anyone knows of a scripture that commands us to be happy.

Respectfully,

Finrock

Good evening james12. I hope you have had a wonderful Sunday! :)

No. In fact, God has said in D&C 58 the following:

Yes, I believe we must. I believe all truth is circumscribed in to one whole. I think it is profitable to tie all truth together.

It is obvious to me that the Lord wants us to be happy.

Maybe, maybe not.

james12, I don't know what you think my purpose in starting this thread is, but I simply want to know for the sake of knowledge whether God has ever given the commandment for us to be happy. I am not doubting that God wants us to be happy. I know that He does. However, I am just curious if anyone knows of a scripture that commands us to be happy.

Respectfully,

Finrock

Hi Finrock, Thanks for the response. Sorry if my reply came off a little harsh, I don't mean to attack your post. Maybe you could fill me in on the purpose for wanting to know if happiness is a commandment?

From my point of view, if we continue to ask for commandments the Lord will eventually oblige as he did with the Law of Moses. Commandments point the way to Christ and for this reason they are useful and necessary. But if we already know the way why do we want the commandment? Commandments are not amenable to circumstances. They tend to lead some people to honor the letter and not the spirit. If we can keep the spirit without the letter are we not better off?

Hi james12! :)

Hi Finrock, Thanks for the response. Sorry if my reply came off a little harsh, I don't mean to attack your post. Maybe you could fill me in on the purpose for wanting to know if happiness is a commandment?

From my point of view, if we continue to ask for commandments the Lord will eventually oblige as he did with the Law of Moses. Commandments point the way to Christ and for this reason they are useful and necessary. But if we already know the way why do we want the commandment? Commandments are not amenable to circumstances. They tend to lead some people to honor the letter and not the spirit. If we can keep the spirit without the letter are we not better off?

Apology accepted and I took no offense. I can see your point of view.

I have been pondering the idea of happiness after talking with a non-LDS friend. In the discussion I had made the statement that God has commanded us to have joy (I was thinking in my mind of the endowment when I made this pronouncement). The plan of salvation is also called the plan of happiness. I know that the scriptures say that "men are that they might have joy" so that our purpose is to have joy. When I had the opportunity I wanted to find a scripture, thinking I could find what I think I understood to be God commanding us to have joy. But, when I went to the scriptures to find an actual commandment for us to be happy or to have joy, I could not find one. Thus, I started this thread to ask the question if it is a commandment to be happy. I want to know if people believe that it is a commandment with the hope of perhaps coming across a reference or some ideas that I had not considered or thought of.

Anddenex provided something that I had not considered in my searching. I have been focusing on joy and happy and their derivatives but I had not thought to look for cheerful.

My personal thoughts have been leading me to the conclusion that joy and obedience to God's commandments are synonymous. Therefore the commandment to have joy would be entailed within the commandment to obey God's commandments.

Regards,

Finrock

The logical part of my brain is just screaming that the idea of 'being happy' as a commandment, in the sense that it would be a sin to not be happy (which would be the case if it IS a commandment), is incredibly asinine.

Here's a hypothetical explaining my thought process: Oh, my wife cheated on me/Oh, I got hit by a bus/Oh, I'm clinically depressed/Oh, my name is Job/i.e. there are an infinite number of things that can happen, outside of your control, that would create severe emotional trauma in which the receiver of said trauma would have a limited capacity to control 'how they feel'. Our emotions are ours, even more than our actions, and to put such a blatant restraint on our emotional experiences I think would qualify as an affront to our agency.

That being said, I would not doubt that we are divinely expected, in a very limited capacity, to strive to be happy, as intentionally feeding greatly negative emotions can be destructive.

Personally, I'm more creative/motivated/productive when I'm slightly miserable, and prone to being slothful when in a state of comfort/joy.

I could simply be misunderstanding the concept of happiness as a commandment though.

Thanks Finrock. In a moment of soberness I once pondered this question of happiness. I came to conclude then, and feel the same today, that we barely understand what happiness is. Right now the slightest thing will make us angry, sad, hurt, or otherwise discouraged. On the flip side, we may be happy for a moment but it doesn't last. We do not yet know what true joy means. Happiness in the fullest sense understands sorrow, it understands pain, it comprehends suffering. But on the other hand, and perhaps because of such deep understanding, it knows joy and a profound love. Christ did not come to provide a happiness which would last a short time but one that was everlasting. Christ came that we might have life, and that we might have it more abundantly (Matt 10:10).

I think there are two problems in understanding this issue that come from various interpretations and understandings of the terms - commandment and joy.

It is my understanding that the two term (commandment and happiness) are more closely associated than what seems to be coming out in this thread discussion. But first lets us explorer commandment. By thinking and understanding that there are two possibilities in all things (in the Book of Mormon this is referred to as opposition in all things) the two possibilities boil down to good and evil. We are in essence commanded to always choose good and commanded not to ever choose evil. Thus in essence we are commanded in All Things.

However, commanded has both an intent and extent understanding. By exploring the extent in understanding we are commanded in all things. But commanded also has an intended understanding. That is that G-d has commanded that we not be commanded in all things. This, I believe, implies that we are not to be told or instructed in all commandments - we are to figure out specifics ourselves. But even in that we are commanded to seek the spirit to guide us in all things.

Confused yet? - The simple understanding as I believe this matter. Every thing we can do is either keeping or breaking a commandment - this idea should be simple enough. And if we have to be instructed and have everything explained to us then we are breaking a commandment; because it is good for us to seek understanding rather than to be reprimanded for our lack of individual effort. Now, I must either stop here or be banned from the forum for criticism of those that do not seem to get it.

Now to the point of happiness. This, for me, goes back to the training I received from my father. This training concerning happiness was that happiness is a choice and as a choice it is predicated on making the right choice of that which is good. Despite the false rhetoric to the contrary, wickedness never is happiness. Happiness only comes from righteousness - it is wrong and always unhappy or miserable to try to obtain happiness by any other means.

I think that many believe that happiness is something that comes with outside stuff like circumstance. As though the only way to be happy is to have it fall on you by luck. I believe happiness is something within that is obtained by discipline. Thus happiness is learned and obtained by individual effort and discipline and not ever the result of outside circumstance. Some would say - but how can you be happy while someone is murdering your beloved family? The answer has nothing to do with circumstance. We can only obtain happiness by making sacrifices for, loving and being loyal to our family - and in realizing that families are eternal - regardless of what befalls us. We are happy in the knowledge of the truth. Not to say that we never experience sadness - but sadness to the righteous is not miserable. And that is the difference.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

"cheerful" is an interesting way to think of it... Holland talks about how Christ Tells us to "be of good cheer" I have overcome the world. Saying don't you worry, be happy, I am about to go suffer, but be of good cheer. Go re-read the talk in last conference.

when they find out the price of happiness, they do not think it is worth the effort.

Sometimes I wonder this too. I have felt pure happiness once for an entire day. Nothing that day could affect me. It was supernatural (purely the spirit). Nothing since has compared to it. I still wonder. I still worry that I can't overcome the world myself, through suffering and pain or by sacrificing my own life.

So the next time that I am sad, I'll need to repent? Will I need to see the Bishop?

Me - "Hi Bishop. I need to talk with you. I've sinned. Last week I was unhappy for day or two."

Bishop - "Ummmmmm"

If you are addressing my comments (post #15) you missed an important point:

Not to say that we never experience sadness - but sadness to the righteous is not miserable. And that is the difference.

Sin brings about misery. We can be sad for what Jesus suffered and happy in repentance.

The Traveler

Good afternoon Traveler. I hope you have been well! :)

It is my understanding that the two term (commandment and happiness) are more closely associated than what seems to be coming out in this thread discussion...

I think that many believe that happiness is something that comes with outside stuff like circumstance. As though the only way to be happy is to have it fall on you by luck. I believe happiness is something within that is obtained by discipline. Thus happiness is learned and obtained by individual effort and discipline and not ever the result of outside circumstance. Some would say - but how can you be happy while someone is murdering your beloved family? The answer has nothing to do with circumstance. We can only obtain happiness by making sacrifices for, loving and being loyal to our family - and in realizing that families are eternal - regardless of what befalls us. We are happy in the knowledge of the truth. Not to say that we never experience sadness - but sadness to the righteous is not miserable. And that is the difference.

The Traveler

What you wrote, Traveler, is along the lines of what I have been thinking. I have gone so far as to say that happiness and obedience are synonyms. But, I've also gotten some very good scriptures from other's posts that I had not considered before.

The gospel doesn't guarantee us living a life of leisure and pleasure and this is what I think people believe happiness is. True happiness and finally never-ending happiness are attained only through obedience. When we are obedient to law and live within the direction the law prompts, we will be happy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
grammar

Good afternoon ElectofGod. I hope you are doing well today! :)

"cheerful" is an interesting way to think of it... Holland talks about how Christ Tells us to "be of good cheer" I have overcome the world. Saying don't you worry, be happy, I am about to go suffer, but be of good cheer. Go re-read the talk in last conference.

Which talk are you referring to? The only talk I saw from Holland in last conference was "Lord, I believe" and I didn't find anything in it about "cheer"?

Sometimes I wonder this too. I have felt pure happiness once for an entire day. Nothing that day could affect me. It was supernatural (purely the spirit). Nothing since has compared to it. I still wonder. I still worry that I can't overcome the world myself, through suffering and pain or by sacrificing my own life.

What are you wondering about, specifically? And what is the reason for your worry? I ask because I don't understand your comments and I want to. :)

Regards,

Finrock

A commandment to be happy? I don't think so. I would love to see that one. We are here to learn, to experience, to gain knowledge; the Lord has blessed us with so very much.

What we do with what He gives us truly determines our happiness.

King Benjamin, in his address said this:

"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and a happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." [Mosiah 2:41]

Nowhere could I find it to be a "commandment". Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ both want for us eternal happiness. They want us to be happy. And they have both taught us the way to find happiness.

Sorry...I totally disagree with it being a commandment. Please show a reference...

Thanks.

Letrell

I came across this scripture from Mormom 9:14

"14 And then cometh the judgment of the Holy One upon them; and then cometh the time that he that is filthy shall be filthy still; and he that is righteous shall be righteous still; he that is happy shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy shall be unhappy still."

This seems to be saying that being happy or unhappy are things that God will judge us by and He will restore us according to how we lived our lives, whether happy or unhappy.

Regards,

Finrock

I think we are on the same wavelength.... although the Lord really wants us to be happy, it is truly up to us; everything seems to point to us being told we should seek after happiness and by following His commandments and His teachings, we will find happiness.

Thank you for that scripture. I like that one, a lot.

Letrell

Good afternoon Traveler. I hope you have been well! :)

What you wrote, Traveler, is along the lines of what I have been thinking. I have gone so far as to say that happiness and obedience are synonyms. But, I've also gotten some very good scriptures from other's posts that I had not considered before.

The gospel doesn't guarantee us living a life of leisure and pleasure and this is what I think people believe happiness is. True happiness and finally never-ending happiness are attained only through obedience. When we are obedient to law and live within the direction the law prompts, we will be happy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Finrock

I agree. Thanks. It appears to me that many are not happy because they either do not understand or if they do - they really do not want to be happy. One would think that Satan would want to be happy. The truth is that Satan enjoys very much being miserable and he wants to make all men miserable like unto him.

For example most people think they would be happy if they won a few million in the lottery. I read an article that individuals that have won over a million in a lottery have a very high suicide rate. I will not go into all the article pointed out - only that the false impression of happiness was more than many could cope with after winning the lottery and discovering it was not really the happiness they thought.

I am glad you understand - Hope that you are happy. :D

The Traveler