Naked and Afraid

Tricia87

Saw about 5 minutes of it while channel surfing -- sorry but the naked part of the concept is pure garbage.

the 'naked' is a gimmick even though its pixelated it's moving you further away from the light into the darkness. Just a step at a time, thats how it works, Satan leads people by baby steps until he has you.

This show would work without the naked part, but it wouldn't get the attention it does now.

We gave up TV for well over a year, but then my older retired brother moved in and we had to get Dish again for him - he pays for 1/2, I'm sorry we did, but we quickly learned again just how much garbage and time wasting was available.

I thought the naked part was to force the survivalists to fully live off the land (well, maybe a secondary purpose because, whenever you can, use fleshy pixels). Maybe I assumed this because I was reading Verne's The Mysterious Island, where he tries to tell a Robinson tale but without the deus ex machina of having all their needs met by what they can salvage off the boat (turns out, Verne still ends up selling out by having some providential discoveries and of course the very mystery of the island is beneficial). The castaways must rely on their own knowledge of science and the raw elements around them. They don't even have a match for a fire. They lack knives and axes. And yet by the end they turn the island into a nice little eden.

So I figured this show would take it a step further. Not only would the survivalists lack tools (take that Bear Gryllis), but they couldn't even use their clothes to filter water or provide shade. How would they fare on their own? I don't know. Within minutes, our naked travelers were handed a backpack filled with supplies. So now I don't know what pretense there is for the nudity.

So now I don't know what pretense there is for the nudity.

If they're essentially being handed clothing by the survival fairy then it boils down to being an advertising move rather than taking a look at how people survive when you take the idea of stripping them of tools even further*. I wonder what they'd do if someone demanded to be allowed to take a robe/dress or jumpsuit (ideally with hood) as their one item, or if the small print already excludes clothing from being an item (though I suppose a hat wouldn't mess up the name of the show too much).

*That may have been the idea kicked around by the creator(s), ultimately the show is being produced to make money.

• 7 months later...
No...but I did rewatch the episode of Man vs Wild where Bear Grylls drank his own pee!

Meh. Everything Bear Grylls did, the cameraman did faster and smoother while carrying who knows how much gear and keeping the shot properly framed.

I want a show where a couple starts out by assembling a basic trunk kit like some of us already have, (think one medium daypack per person, and maybe a spending limit) and then have to deal with some fairly realistic situation for a week or so with those kits plus what they would reasonably be carrying in the car for such an area anyway. Let's face it; if I'm going to be flying over the Yukon in a bush plane or on a seagoing vessel, I'm taking a completely different kit from what's in my car to drive around central Texas.

Meh. Everything Bear Grylls did, the cameraman did faster and smoother while carrying who knows how much gear and keeping the shot properly framed.

I want a show where a couple starts out by assembling a basic trunk kit like some of us already have, (think one medium daypack per person, and maybe a spending limit) and then have to deal with some fairly realistic situation for a week or so with those kits plus what they would reasonably be carrying in the car for such an area anyway. Let's face it; if I'm going to be flying over the Yukon in a bush plane or on a seagoing vessel, I'm taking a completely different kit from what's in my car to drive around central Texas.

best bet is Duel Survival, in my opinion!

The guy on this weeks episode was a Mormon from Idaho. He was quite open about his beliefs, even showed him praying several times. Anyone else see this episode?

Hmmm... a naked Mormon might be more disturbing than mutant My Little Ponies.

The guy on this weeks episode was a Mormon from Idaho. He was quite open about his beliefs, even showed him praying several times. Anyone else see this episode?

Since there's varying degrees of Mormons, I'm not surprised that there's one on the show. I recall years ago on The Real World there was a 19-year old contestant on there from BYU and I think she was told that she couldn't return to BYU because she wasn't abiding with LDS standards (specifically living with opposite sex roommates).

Big difference in the Real World example. BYU honor code was violated, not LOC. Also, she was registered for a full semester which she did not attend. That by itself is grounds for dismissal. From what they showed on Naked and Afraid, no commandments or covenants were broken

Big difference in the Real World example. BYU honor code was violated, not LOC. Also, she was registered for a full semester which she did not attend. That by itself is grounds for dismissal. From what they showed on Naked and Afraid, no commandments or covenants were broken

I'm pretty sure the 11th Commandment was something along the lines of "Thou shalt not encourage bad television."

I don't know enough about doctrine to make a judgement call on that. I guess, unless this man is endowed and typically wears garments, then yeh probably technically no foul. But whatever his degree of Mormonism, my point was that there are many varying degrees of it.

Saw naked and afraid w/ the Mormon guy. I thought he was pathetic, selfish, made stupid decisions, and wasn't a very good survivalist. Aside from being a not so great survivalist, he made way too much of being LDS for no reason that I could perceive.

Saw naked and afraid w/ the Mormon guy. I thought he was pathetic, selfish, made stupid decisions, and wasn't a very good survivalist. Aside from being a not so great survivalist, he made way too much of being LDS for no reason that I could perceive.

not to mention immodesty.

I'm sorry but when you of your own free will decide to go naked in front of other people for entertainment purposes, I can't see how that does not fall into immodesty (at best).

Hidden

I can imagine a great moment for that show...

"I'm tired of being in the desert, do you have any water that's not pee flavoured?!"

and they respond,

"No sorry, we have a collection of your pee though!'

ANd the guy sighs and asks "what year?"