Its tough to be a DAD

Drpepper

Leah, if you carefully read what I posted I never said that it was okay. Just not forbidden. I did, however, specify that it's important to know WHY we do these things -- what are our intentions.

(How's that post Anddenex, like it?)

Wait...why was I asked if I like the post? :confused:

There are paid employees at your church? :huh:

In your mind - if you are not paid, you have not done any work? How does your wife (especially if she is a stay at home mom) feel about that explanation of work? :eek:

I think the point that many are missing is presented in Hebrews Chapter 4. Here we are instructed concerning "the rest of the L-rd" (a reference to eternal life) and the Sabbath as a "day of rest". The two being tightly coupled as we say in scientific circles. The term rest does not mean without work but work without worldly (natural man) intent.

In short we should use the Sabbath to "practice" doing what we have learned so far as associated to eternal life. Thus our Sabbath acclivities become a type and shadow (precursor) of our activities in the next life. To be honest I would just as soon sit and be entertained with an exciting football game as a boring rambling talk at church. Thus my purpose in attending church is not really to be entertained. My Sabbath most certainly is not intended to avoid doing any "work" that is of any possible value to anyone!

The Traveler

Wait...why was I asked if I like the post? :confused:

Because you liked Leah's response to my post but she had in accurately interpreted what I wrote. So I clarified on it (though I thought my initial post was pretty clear).

Traveller, I thought that was well said. "Intent" is, again, the bottom line.

In your mind - if you are not paid, you have not done any work? How does your wife (especially if she is a stay at home mom) feel about that explanation of work? :eek:

She feels fine; she isn't conflating the work she accomplishes at Church, at home, with a paid employee who works (for money) on the Sabbath. She get's the difference between a grocery store being opened on Sunday, parking lot full, in a predominant LDS neighborhood and the "work" she accomplishes with our children and her calling as a primary leader. ;)

Edited by Anddenex

Because you liked Leah's response to my post but she had in accurately interpreted what I wrote. So I clarified on it (though I thought my initial post was pretty clear).

I liked Leah's response due to principle, not because it was a rebuttal to your thought.

Why would it make a difference if you were to go on a nature walk on your property or ride a little motorbike. What if you were to ride regular bycicles around, would there be a problem then? What if you owned land with a lake and decied to go out on your row boat?

I always think of those early saints that sailed across the Atlantic or rode horses to Church. If they enjoyed sailing or riding their horse were they breaking the Sabbeth? Or is it only supposed to be miserable.

I think it's sad that some shut themselves up in their homes instead of enjoying with reverence, the beauty that has been provided us.

I've gone kiteboarding only once on Sunday and I didn't feel good about it so I havn't done it since. I also won't surf on Sundays. But one day we will have a sail boat and I doubt I'll have any problems going out and enjoying the ocean. I have a motorcycle and when I lived in Washington I would take it out on Sundays. I don't take it out on Sundays here in Florida because it's all flat and there's not much to see along Ocean Drive but Bikini's..not the kind of beauty that draws me closer to my Father in Heaven.

Having been a finance clerk, I never thought spending two or three hours counting donations, reconciling them to the slips, entering them in FIS, and running them down to the bank for deposit, was particularly in keeping with the spirit of the Sabbath either. But we did it. And when I was a kid, and we were vacationing at the lake, I remember raising all sorts of Cain about why was it OK to take a Sunday drive in a car, but not in a boat, while my parents' motorboat drifted silently at anchor (my parents didn't buy my arguments, for some reason).

IMHO: The key is keeping the Spirit with you. Some things are absolute no-nos (I generally draw the line at spending money or making another person work for money); but I think that there's a gray category of activities that might be conducive to the presence of the Holy Ghost and the spirit of the Sabbath for one individual or family, but not necessarily for another.

For what it's worth, here's the text of a fun devotional Elder Oaks did regarding the Sabbath a couple years ago. (I think the video is also available via the Gospel Library iPad/Android app; but I can't find it online at the moment.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I would hope so as if you are going to an Art Gallery, you are making someone work. Same with going to any business, regardless of whether the person working is LDS or not.

There's no exception there for someone who doesn't share your beliefs, or for sports events or art galleries.

what about athiests? there is nothing holy in their beliefs

(my cattle can't work... I don't have cattle... I do have dolls but the faerie ones have their own goddess, not that they work anyways:lol:)

what about athiests? there is nothing holy in their beliefs

(my cattle can't work... I don't have cattle... I do have dolls but the faerie ones have their own goddess, not that they work anyways:lol:)

It doesn't matter if they are atheist, muslim, buddhist, baptist, catholic or LDS. We would be having someone working by going to or using their place of business.

No The bike is just a peewee 50 nothing dangerous and crashing at the speeds we were going would have resulted in a few band aids not much more. It was the sabbath breaking that was the main issue.

My daughter actually loves being on the bike.

Gretchen if noise chases away the spirit then most of our youth classes on Sunday would have suffered.

Ah, but a motor has a different sound-pitch-thingy than children's classes.

I have no clue, I'm just trying to help.