What makes the Holy Ghost so special?

the holy ghost is another spirit, just like us before we had bodies.

I've never heard the Holy Ghost referred to as "just like us" before. I admit I haven't really read up on scripture and prophetic statements on the matter (or at least can't remember anything from the last time I did).

Do you have a source?

I've never heard the Holy Ghost referred to as "just like us" before. I admit I haven't really read up on scripture and prophetic statements on the matter (or at least can't remember anything from the last time I did).

Do you have a source?

Just inferring. Jesus is our spirit brother, so is Satan. I think I've heard that said. So why not the holy ghost?

What makes someone member of the Godhead? And what is a Godhead anyway?

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost.

These three make up the Godhead.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost.

These three make up the Godhead.

So it would be God, Jesus, Holy Ghost?

Who is the Holy Ghost? What was/ is his name? What was his purpose prior to us coming to earth? Will he ever receive a body like God and Jesus?

In the beginning, we know God chose Jesus which then would also mean the Holy Ghost was chosen by God as was the Savior.

We do not have any information pertaining to the Holy Ghost, his destiny, who he was, and when he will receive a body. We only know that this is the method decided before the foundations of this world that God would use to communicate (teach, bring back, and testify of truth) with his children.

The Godhead is the presiding authority over all of the world and other creations. Since God and Christ are the creators, they are a part of this presiding authority. The third member is the Holy Ghost.

why do some call it the Holy Spirit?

is that a Catholic thing or...

Hi, Lakumi. I think it's a scriptural thing. He is referred to by several other names, such as, Holy Spirit, Spirit of God, Spirit of the Lord, Comforter or just the Spirit.

I believe the Holy Ghost is to a large extent a mystery but is critically important segment of our doctrine. Only those who are open to truth will begin to understand. Maybe I'll take up one item which has become more clear to me in the last few weeks. It is the difference between the Spirit (or Holy Spirit or power of the Holy Ghost) and the Holy Ghost. Listen to these words from Mormon Doctrine under the section "Spirit of the Lord".

The Spirit of God which emanates from Deity may be likened to electricity, ... which fills the earth and the air, and is everywhere present. It is the power of God, the influence that he exerts throughout all his works, by which he can effect his purposes and execute his will, in consonance with the laws of free agency which he has conferred upon man.

This power is communicated to us via the Holy Ghost.

Lets try and put this into a metaphor so I can understand better.

God is calling you. And the holy ghost is the phone. You need to pick it up and talk to God.

The gift of the holy ghost is that upon confirmation you get a cell phone, so now you can call or talk to God from wherever. Which I think would make Jesus the unlimited minutes subscription.

Needs some work.

why do some call it the Holy Spirit?

is that a Catholic thing or...

I think it's more of a "language evolves over time" thing. The word "ghost" used to be in more mainstream use back 50 years ago. These days, it conjures up notions of R-rated movies of dead girls crawling across the ceiling and whatnot, so a lot of Christians have just switched to "Holy Spirit" as a natural progression in language referring reverently to the third personage in the Trinity/Godhead/etc.

Mormons tend to hold on to old traditions longer, unless we get specific guidance from our leaders. But we can eventually change on our own, once we realize there's a good reason to. 15 years ago, I never heard the term "holy spirit" at church. These days, it's about half and half.

Our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ are physical beings. They can only be in one place at one time. The Holy Ghost is a being of spirit. He likewise can only be in one place at one time. The power or influence they posses and wield is often called the Spirit (ie. not Holy Ghost. There is great confusion here. The Holy Ghost wields this power/substance but he is not the power itself).

This Spirit is called by many names. For example it is explained in these terms, "the light of truth; which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made. ...And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings; which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space - the light which is in all things which giveth life to all things" (D&C 88:6-7,11-12). Our spirit body comes from God and is under the special influence of God. This influence begins as the Light of Christ. As we tune ourselves to this Spirit we are able to act in righteousness and gain more power/light/glory. To have a fullness of this substance is to have all glory, power, and dominion. Through Spirit, God conducts his work and upholds all his creations. Through Spirit he is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient. In as much as man gains this Spirit he is enlightened and posses the same glory, attributes, and power of God. Now there is truth for those who will receive it.

Our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ are physical beings. They can only be in one place at one time. The Holy Ghost is a being of spirit. He likewise can only be in one place at one time. The power or influence they posses and wield is often called the Spirit (ie. not Holy Ghost. There is great confusion here. The Holy Ghost wields this power/substance but he is not the power itself).

This Spirit is called by many names. For example it is explained in these terms, "the light of truth; which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made. ...And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings; which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space - the light which is in all things which giveth life to all things" (D&C 88:6-7,11-12). Our spirit body comes from God and is under the special influence of God. This influence begins as the Light of Christ. As we tune ourselves to this Spirit we are able to act in righteousness and gain more power/light/glory. To have a fullness of this substance is to have all glory, power, and dominion. Through Spirit, God conducts his work and upholds all his creations. Through Spirit he is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient. In as much as man gains this Spirit he is enlightened and posses the same glory, attributes, and power of God. Now there is truth for those who will receive it.

Always take the words out of my mouth but said it so much better. Though in vision, dream, etc.. They can be in more than one place at a time. Physically I think you may be right. Spiritually they can appear as if they are not.

Always take the words out of my mouth but said it so much better. Though in vision, dream, etc.. They can be in more than one place at a time. Physically I think you may be right. Spiritually they can appear as if they are not.

Agreed. I have considered it but have come to no conclusion on the matter.