My understanding of the Godhead so far

I don't know if my understanding of the Godhead is correct, but this is what I understand so far: the Father and the Son are distinct beings, who are perfect, and work in a common purpose. The Holy Ghost is God's life force on earth and guides God's children (us). Also, is Jesus considered a "god" or just God's Son who will reign as King after His second coming?

They are 3 separate entities. God appears to Joseph Smith an introduces his son Jesus Christ.

God and Jesus have physical bodies, the Holy ghost is a spirit.

Ah, that makes more sense. So they're all God, but three separate entities. That does make more sense then the Catholic and Protestant view.

Wow:(, I was told the complete opposite. That there was no God the Son or God the Holy Ghost in the LDS Church. :confused:

You were misinformed or you misunderstood. Its ok, now you know. All 3 are members of the Godhead. They are 3 separate and distinct individuals.

Good morning JodyTJ. I hope you are having a good day! :)

The Holy Ghost is God's life force on earth and guides God's children (us). Also, is Jesus considered a "god" or just God's Son who will reign as King after His second coming?

The Holy Ghost is actually a spirit person. It is not just a life force. The "life force" that permeates all of existence, it is what we call the light of Christ, which is different from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is an actual person with spirit hands, spirit legs, spirit eyes, etc.

Regards,

Finrock

God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost were all the same God, which differs from the LDS view.

That actually sounds Modalistic (One person with three modes) rather than Trinitarian (three persons of one substance), though that might just be your description rather than your understanding.

Good morning JodyTJ. I hope you are having a good day! :)

The Holy Ghost is actually a spirit person. It is not just a life force. The "life force" that permeates all of existence, it is what we call the light of Christ, which is different from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is an actual person with spirit hands, spirit legs, spirit eyes, etc.

Regards,

Finrock

It may be worth noting that even Joseph Smith's understanding of the godhead grew and slightly evolved over time. In the Lectures on Faith, given in 1831-1832, Smith presented the godhead as containing two individuals; God the Father and God the Son (Jesus). The "Holy Spirit" was, as I recall, the manifestation of the combined mind of the Father and the Son.

The idea of the Holy Spirit's being a separate "personage of Spirit" with His own identity, came a bit later--during the Nauvoo period, if I remember correctly.

That actually sounds Modalistic (One person with three modes) rather than Trinitarian (three persons of one substance), though that might just be your description rather than your understanding.

Yeah, that's just a description. Though I should have added, like you said, three persons of one substance.

Good afternoon Just_A_Guy. I hope you're having a good day! :)

It may be worth noting that even Joseph Smith's understanding of the godhead grew and slightly evolved over time. In the Lectures on Faith, given in 1831-1832, Smith presented the godhead as containing two individuals; God the Father and God the Son (Jesus). The "Holy Spirit" was, as I recall, the manifestation of the combined mind of the Father and the Son.

The idea of the Holy Spirit's being a separate "personage of Spirit" with His own identity, came a bit later--during the Nauvoo period, if I remember correctly.

You're right. We all learn line-upon-line. Here a little, there a little. There is no shame in this.

Regards,

Finrock

I just think of the word "God" as a singular that describes a plural. Like family. Mother, father and child are one family. Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one God.

I just think of the word "God" as a singular that describes a plural. Like family. Mother, father and child are one family. Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one God.

I understand the Trinity, I may not grok it, but I understand it. I commented because Jody explanation, to me at least, could be read as Modalistic (and was not using the expected Trinitarian language/terms) and that's a fairly common misunderstanding of the Trinity (at least in my limited understanding). It's since been clarified the issue was my reading of the description rather than a misunderstanding of the Trinity.

Edited by Dravin

I understand the Trinity, I may not grok it, but I understand it. I commented because Jody explanation, to me at least, could be read as Modalistic (and was not using the expected Trinitarian language/terms) and that's a fairly common misunderstanding of the Trinity (at least in my limited understanding). It's since been clarified the issue was my reading of the description rather than a misunderstanding of the Trinity.

It's true, the Trinity doctrine is very "word" specific. Even though I understand what Jody meant by "same God", it's usually best to keep to the more specific definition, so as not confuse it with modalism.

M.

Ah, that makes more sense. So they're all God, but three separate entities. That does make more sense then the Catholic and Protestant view.

My Mom thought so too when she was an investigator... she'd investigated and attended nearly every Christian denomination before she met my Father, and none of them appealed to her for various reasons, some of which was the the natures of The Father and The Son and The Holy Ghost. =)