Mormonisms

pam

I know we've kind of had this conversation before but now it's for research. :)

I need things that we, as Mormons, do and say that might seem strange to others.

For example: When blessing the food, most say "Nourish and strengthen our bodies." But do we really talk this way in real life?

So I need some more. But let's keep them appropriate. :)

I know we've kind of had this conversation before but now it's for research. :)

I need things that we, as Mormons, do and say that might seem strange to others.

For example: When blessing the food, most say "Nourish and strengthen our bodies." But do we really talk this way in real life?

So I need some more. But let's keep them appropriate. :)

This may be a western US thing, but praying for moisture (as opposed to a specific type of precipitation) comes to mind. Also, I don't know how other denominations pray but a lot of Mormons use a, "Please bless that..." format, so instead of, "Please bless Brother Smith, so he recovers from his illness." you tend to get, "Please bless that Brother Smith recovers from his illness." I'd also include, when bearing testimony, "I know this Church is true." on any list of examples if for no other reason than we tend to pack so much into such a short statement, in fact testimonies that don't actually mention Jesus Christ specifically are common enough that investigators and visitors comment on it from time to time.

JARGON by Lawrence Heywood

My son's a CTR ... I go to PEC.

I work for CES....I study the TG.

I read the B of M .... I probe the D&C.

I search the KJV ... I ponder the JST.

Today in BYC ... we planned for EFY.

I stayed a little after ... and had a PPI.

The YM and YW ... are putting on a play.

It's one that I remember ...we did in MIA.

Before our oldest son ...went in the MTC,

He helped the BSA .... complete their SME.

Soon our oldest daughter ... is heading for the Y.

Soon our oldest clothing ... is going to DI.

Now, if you've understood ... this alphabetic mess,

The chances are quite good ... that you are LDS.

Octave testimonies. It seems to be a popular thing to change the tone of voice when the speaker believes they are talking about something deeply spiritual. It seems to be assumed that making yourself breathless or speaking in more hushed tone makes ones testimony more spiritual.

"Missionary voice."

JARGON by Lawrence Heywood

My son's a CTR ... I go to PEC.

I work for CES....I study the TG.

I read the B of M .... I probe the D&C.

I search the KJV ... I ponder the JST.

Today in BYC ... we planned for EFY.

I stayed a little after ... and had a PPI.

The YM and YW ... are putting on a play.

It's one that I remember ...we did in MIA.

Before our oldest son ...went in the MTC,

He helped the BSA .... complete their SME.

Soon our oldest daughter ... is heading for the Y.

Soon our oldest clothing ... is going to DI.

Now, if you've understood ... this alphabetic mess,

The chances are quite good ... that you are LDS.

I'm not a Mormon...yet (getting baptized in October), but I understood some of that. :D

This may be a western US thing, but praying for moisture (as opposed to a specific type of precipitation) comes to mind. .

No I've lived in the East and the South and Mormons say that - I chuckle every time I hear it.

Of course it could be the people that have spent a lot of time in Utah

The one that I hate is at the end of prayers and testimonies:

InthenameofJesusChristAmen - said really fast and all run together, slow down, you're using the Lords name.

Edited by mnn727

Octave testimonies. It seems to be a popular thing to change the tone of voice when the speaker believes they are talking about something deeply spiritual. It seems to be assumed that making yourself breathless or speaking in more hushed tone makes ones testimony more spiritual.

Or perhaps they are actually feeling something and their voice changes, and they're not manipulating how they speak at all.

Especially over desserts & refreshments!

That's why I usually ask that "no harm or accident will come upon us" when eating food that's 'less than healthy'! :D

The one that I hate is at the end of prayers and testimonies:

InthenameofJesusChristAmen - said really fast and all run together, slow down, you're using the Lords name.

I used to think this was for LDS only, until my Catholic neighbors had us over for a picnic, and the dad did the same thing when saying their prayer!

I've been trying to find the thread where we discussed mormon myths and other things things that we can make fun of regarding mormons and the culture.

I've been trying to find the thread where we discussed mormon myths and other things things that we can make fun of regarding mormons and the culture.

I do recall a thread about Mormon stereotypes, http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/30684-mormon-stereotypes.html, but other than that the only thing that comes to mind is the thread Wingnut linked to.

Edited by Dravin

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but

EDIT: I just have to link this image from the photo essay. It is the most Mormon photo I've ever seen. ;)

I don't get it. Why would it be the *most* Mormon photo you've seen? As opposed to a typical Mormon photo? What says Mormon to you in the photo? I'm not being accusatory; I'm just asking because I don't get it. Or maybe I've been to so many events in the Cultural Hall that this no longer looks strange or unique to me.

What says Mormon to you in the photo? I'm not being accusatory; I'm just asking because I don't get it. Or maybe I've been to so many events in the Cultural Hall that this no longer looks strange or unique to me.

That's just the point. It's got everything a typical cultural hall activity has:

• Basketball floor
  • A senior missionary couple stopping by
  • Those plastic tables
  • Those plastic tablesheets
  • Red water cooler
  • Vastly under-sized water cooler
  • Improvised surfaces
  • Balloons filled with air, not helium
  • Those sliding doors

It's got that "you kinda have to be there to get the point" kinda quality to it. :P