Don't feel Mormon, not keeping the commandments

andypg

I was baptized two weeks ago. At first, I felt wonderful and knew I made the right decision. However, the next day I moved back to school for the new semester. All of a sudden, my old problems came back, I lost my best friends over the summer over a couple huge fights and now feel lonely. If I am not in class, I am in my apartment alone the entire day. As a result, I began to disobey the Word of Wisdom, break the law of chastity, and stopped reading the scriptures. All in an attempt to make me feel better. Though my friend told me she is concerned that I'm going down a really bad path if I don't stop soon.

As a result, I don't feel Mormon. It's still something I have to think about (yet want to share with everyone, even my Catholic professors).

Now I am watching a YouTube video of President Monson and am feeling the spirit. I am being reminded of why I converted in the first place. I realized, maybe if I talk to the bishop, he could help me. Maybe he can talk me through this and maybe get me involved in the ward.

Thing is, I haven't gone to church since I moved (couldn't go last week) so the bishop doesn't know me besides the introduction I wrote on the YSA Facebook group and I've never spoken to a bishop about something like this before. I don't know how it goes. The closest I know is a Catholic priest at confession or spiritual direction.

Should I go to the bishop? This Sunday or should I wait until I become a more integrated part of the ward? What do I tell him?

I'm lost and worried.

Go and introduce yourself to the Bishop and ward. Attend an institute class (if that's an option). You know you want to talk to people, you know where they all, so go get them! :).

(Speaking as a person who moves constantly, it is best to be proactive in meeting people rather then waiting for them to stumble upon you).

Thanks. I think part of it is, I am in an area that isn't LDS and go ti a Catholic school, so I have no exposure to LDS people right now. Maybe if I have positive influences it will help.

Unfortunately, I have important meetings during institute so I can't go (though my nonLDS friend says I should go to institute instead). Thing is, I'm very shy and have a hard time making friends, but hopefully it will go well in the new YSA ward. I did well in my old ward.

I'll still consider talking to the bishop. I may have to at some point depending on how much worse I get, but I feel like I'd come off as a crazy person or a bad person if I talked to him about this without him knowing me.

... but I feel like I'd come off as a crazy person or a bad person if I talked to him about this without him knowing me.

I don't think you bishop will see you as a "crazy" or "bad" person... unless you tell him that you killed a bunch of people with a chainsaw and ate their flesh as part of a keep-the-zombies-away ritual. :P

I think you're safe.

I'll still consider talking to the bishop. I may have to at some point depending on how much worse I get, but I feel like I'd come off as a crazy person or a bad person if I talked to him about this without him knowing me.

One thing I have learned is that bishops just don't think of people as being crazy or bad. They just don't. Bishops really do understand people and the choices they make. And all they want to do is help you.

My current bishop gives the impression of being a grumpy or bear of a guy. He's very blunt and to the point in public. But, what I found was that as I counseled with him he was kind, patient, and loving. Good grief, the grumpy man was just a ball of fluff. He helped me with my issue and showed his care and concern for me.

Please go see the bishop. Not only will you feel better about yourself, he can help you get back on track and perhaps have some good advice or suggestions on how to help you find friends or feel more welcome.

Good luck.

Also, remember that part of being a Mormon is faith in Christ and in His atonement. You can repent of your sins and move forward again. That is the awesome thing about the gospel, is Christ will not give up on you, even if you give up on yourself. Talk to your bishop and let him give you counsel and a loving shoulder to lean on.

The good news, I'm starting to feel more like a Mormon. I guess joining the YSA helped with that. Also coming in as a newly baptized LDS made it feel less like an outsider.

However, I am still struggling heavily with keeping the Word of Wisdom. I have gotten better, but it is still a struggle. My best friend is trying her best to stop my dependence on alcohol, it's a work in progress.

I decided to meet with my bishop to talk about the priesthood and limited use temple recommend. Although I know I am not yet worthy, I think maybe having these as goals to talk with the bishop about will help.

pray for me

Definitely go to the Bishop. Guys in general have difficulty confessing, and I can admit that I definitely needed to go.

When I first joined the church, I was 26. It was very different to my old life. I remember that three other people joined me at roughly the same time, in the same position(Within about 5 years, 3 other men after the age of serving a mission but prior to 30).

Every single one left the church with the exception of me. Every. Single One.

I wasn't the most learned, or the most spiritual. I wasn't the strongest, or the brightest, or the fastest or the most well-liked. I wasn't the any -est out of all of them. The only difference?

I went to the Bishop to confess.

These things can be spiritual poison for you if you don't get help. Definitely talk to the Bishop. Otherwise, it's a difficult road.

The good news, I'm starting to feel more like a Mormon. I guess joining the YSA helped with that. Also coming in as a newly baptized LDS made it feel less like an outsider.

However, I am still struggling heavily with keeping the Word of Wisdom. I have gotten better, but it is still a struggle. My best friend is trying her best to stop my dependence on alcohol, it's a work in progress.

I decided to meet with my bishop to talk about the priesthood and limited use temple recommend. Although I know I am not yet worthy, I think maybe having these as goals to talk with the bishop about will help.

pray for me

Have you asked for a blessing specifically pertaining to these struggles? If not, I highly recommend you do so as soon as possible.