"My God is..." Am I the only one thrown off by that wording?

jerome1232

Examples:

"My God is awesome"

"My God loves me"

"My God can do anything"

I always think in my head when I read that, "He's everyone's God, how dare you claim exclusivity" I get that's not what people mean, and I'm guessing it's supposed to demonstrate a personal relationship with God?

Am I the only one that doesn't like that wording?

Until last week - the Guide promise included the phrase "to love my God" (but the word God could be replaced with other diety names if the girls needed it so I choose to drop MY - you should have seen the evil looks I would get from other adult leaders whenever we were making/renewing our promise! So I totally get where you are coming from - God is God regardless of what you might calling him and even regardless of if you believe him to be a her or a spegetti monster! And more importantly he loves us all regardless of if we express our love for him or even acknowledge him!

I talked to my parents (I must not have siblings) about attending my school (I must be the only student); it wasn't in my state (I guess nobody else can claim it), but at least it was in my country (It must just be mine again).

In other words, no, the wording doesn't bother me.

Granted, but when you are talking to someone from the same school, you typically won't precede school with "my" when it's "ours".

When I'm talking about the good 'ole days with my old friends, I wouldn't say my high school was awesome, I'd say our high school was awesome, or just high school was awesome. Use of "my" tends to imply that the second party doesn't also belong to whatever it is you are talking about.

You won't find me agreeing with the implication of exclusivity by the use of my, it is an indicator of possession, belonging, or association. I realize we all have our pet peeves about language, I just don't share this one.

Edited by Dravin

Suppose I welcome you into a family gathering where my parents and siblings are all present. Suppose I bring you forward and introduce you to my dad by indicating, "this is our father"? Would not such an introduction differ quite a bit from me introducing him as "this is my dad"?

The use of the word my when referring to the Lord then feels similar to me. It means I recognize his role over me and accept it. The Lord is my God because I wouldn't want anyone else to be in that position and will not give such honor to another. Such is not to say He is not the God of all but simply an intimate reference to his relationship to me and my acceptance of it.

Or so I feel to say when I thought of how I would want to respond.

Martain~

Only would bother me if someone were to say "My God is better than your God." Or "My God is much more loving than your God." But used in the way the OP expressed, it doesn't bother me.

I used to cringe when I heard what I'd call "born again" phrases. Ya know, "are you saved", "have a personal relationship with Christ", ect. One day that changed and to say "My God is an Awsome God" now has taken on a much more personal experience from within my heart that is deeply spiritual and a praise of Him. I guess you "gotta be there" for it to mean anything.

It's ok to cringe, I understand.

However, when missionaries go out to serve the Lord for 18 mos or two years the terminology used is "my mission". My my!. ;)