What Is Anti-Mormon?

Stephen

What is anti-Mormon?  

1. 1. What is anti-Mormon?

• Simply disagreeing with Mormon doctrines and philosophies is anti-Mormon.
    • Anybody who actively on a regular basis disagrees with Mormon doctrine and philosphies is anti-Mormon.
    • All non-Mormons are anti-Mormon.
    • None of the above(please specify).

Originally posted by naomi@Mar 27 2004, 07:59 PM

She is in her mid 50's I think. Sorry, you have me confused with someone else. :huh:

Fine...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Still doesn't explain why you're lying about Restornu being an elderly LDS woman.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by AFDaw+Mar 27 2004, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AFDaw @ Mar 27 2004, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--naomi@Mar 27 2004, 07:59 PM

She is in her mid 50's I think.  Sorry, you have me confused with someone else.  :huh:

Fine...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Still doesn't explain why you're lying about Restornu being an elderly LDS woman. Good grief! I do not think 50 something (I think that was the age I was told) is OLD! Nor did I say anything age indicative (I checked my posts to recall that) but it may be the way the post was received. Sweet Spirit is a compliment, is it not?

Firstly, what is a poll doing here asking if members smoke? D&C 89 is quite clear that Tobacco = bad. :o

And if I implied elderly, I am sorry. She is learning disabled and that was what I meant to say (she is dyslexic I think). Despite that, she valiantly defends the Church. :)

Originally posted by porterrockwell@Mar 27 2004, 11:25 AM

So Cal, IF evidence of the BOM surfaced, or was discovered , would it in fact give the BOM enough weight. Would it in fact start to tie the BOM to the Bible? The thing about most "other" peoples religious interpertation of the Bible(whether they like to admit it or not) is that it is based upon a concept that was derived MANY years after the death of the Apostles. There is also no outstanding evidence that the Trinity was the correct interpertation of the Godhead previous to the Council of Nicea. Thus I don't see a strong case on either. What kills me is that the evidence clearly points out that they institutionalized an Imperialistic concept of the Godhead, that in itself shaped "mainstream Christianity" to what it is and was throughout the great apostasy. In which case that scripture has equal weight for both sides. But the fact that there is a BOOK that we possess claiming to be another testament of Jesus Christ and his visit to the americas is pretty difficult to refute.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You have restated the obvious in a couple of places (that the NT is not very reliable, that the Trinitarian Godhead was a product of later Christianity---a concept echoed by the BoM, BTW).

You said IF the BoM were evidenced as true.....a BIG IF. Would it support the NT? It depends on what you meant by evidence and what you meant by true. It would depend on what aspects of the BoM were being evidenced as TRUE. Obviously, if Jesus visited the Nephites and said what he did, that would lend credence to the NT gospels. But since there is isn't any such evidence, the BoM does nothing for the NT.

No, the NT is very reliable, as long as it is translated correctly. Unfortunately, the Council at Nicea and the Nicene Creed(both the product of Constantine) effected everything, including the translation of the Bible in which plain and precious truths were thrown out when they didn't line up with the Trinitarian(man-made concept) God theory. Dalin H. Oaks had a wonderful article on this. Thus heavily flawed interpertation has been passed down through generations of mis-guided individuals during a time when religion actually reigned with ruthless abomination.

All I am saying, is IF(regardless of how remote or possible it may be) evidence does surface, or is discovered. Does this give the Book of Mormon any weight? Suddenly the scripture "I have other sheep who are not of this fold", start to look a lot more in our direction. Not only that, but IT PROVES that Joseph Smith indeed did not "construct" a fictitious account of an uknown culture. That he indeed was visited by an Angel(whether good or evil would probably still be argued about between us and the MC's.), and that would significantly narrow the claims against Joseph Smith. It would also in turn make his 1st Vision very much factual in everyone's eyes and not just the LDS Community. Again, then the only thing left to speculate on for the MC's is whether or not he saw Jesus Christ and God the Father...or Satan.

The simple fact is that many will still deny the BOM no matter how much evidence there is.

• 1 year later...

If you’re not “against” the Church, or the doctrines of the Church, or the people of the Church, then you’re either “for” us, or apathetic.

And btw, if you’re apathetic, it would be really nice if you would just go ahead and make up your mind, because with that attitude you're not doing anybody any good.

Thank you, and I now believe you when you say that you are not "against" us. I was simply trying to clarify that "anti" means to be "against".

And btw, now that we know that you're apathetic, I hope you won't mind if we try to help you see why you should choose to be "for" us, instead of "against" us or remaining apathetic.

Originally posted by TheProudDuck+Mar 24 2004, 02:17 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Faerie@Mar 24 2004, 11:55 AM

I agree, how can ANYONE say that the church is anti-family??!?!?!?! My SDA friends who came to church with us couldn't stop commenting on how family oriented our church is and how much emphasis our church puts on eternal families...

I'm completely perplexed why you would say that the TEMPLE is what makes us "anti-family"

Non-Mormon family members of Mormons who marry in the temple, can't attend the wedding. Think for a minute how disappointed a parent might be if she were told she couldn't attend her son's or daughter's wedding, and you get the picture.

I've only just come across this thread, and have forced myself to vote and post without reading any of the comments by other posters..so here goes:

I voted Other, because I feel that questioning the beliefs of any group isn't necessarily Anti that group...

The only time that I feel somebody is truly Anti something, be it religion or something else, is if they strongly disagree with everything that it stands for, and believes that its existence is harmful for its followers and for all others who's its existence affects, and so seeks to destroy it.

I will now read the other points of view :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by pushka@Sep 23 2005, 04:49 PM

I've only just come across this thread, and have forced myself to vote and post without reading any of the comments by other posters..so here goes:

I voted Other, because I feel that questioning the beliefs of any group isn't necessarily Anti that group...

The only time that I feel somebody is truly Anti something, be it religion or something else, is if they strongly disagree with everything that it stands for, and believes that its existence is harmful for its followers and for all others who's its existence affects, and so seeks to destroy it.

I will now read the other points of view :)

I agree... I would also include those who are angry and try and hurt members...

There is so many things that come into play with marriage in the temple. my freind is getting married in a temple and her mother will not be there and as she said it breaks her heart that her mother cant be there. but in adition the the temple wedding they are having a ring ceremonie here after for those who could not in the temple and see them get married. That way it makes every one happy not as happy as if they were all at the wedding but it is a compromise.

as far as anti mormon i believe that anti is someone that publicaly makes it known that there against something. some one who does understand it and willinging goes against it . if you do not know what it is how can you go against it. but if you know and then go against it.

i think an anti mormon, is not someone who disagrees, but someone who is predjudiced against us.

Let me explain what I mean

I would consider some one who is anti to be closed minded, someone who will not give us the respect of allowing us our basic freedoms, someone who is aggresive in their objection to us and not only questions our beliefs but trys to convince members or investigators that we are wrong and to abandon our pricipals.

How about people who scowl and mutter to themselves about how much they don’t like “Mormons”, without ever becoming more blantantly offensive in their objections? Would you consider those types of persons anti-"Mormon”???

Personally, I would, just not as anti-"Mormon" as some others.

Or in other words, I think there are "heroes" on both sides of the fence, between those who are either "for" us or "against" us, and that a person doesn't have to be among the worst of the worst to be a "bad" apple.

Originally posted by Ray@Sep 23 2005, 03:11 PM

And btw, now that we know that you're apathetic, I hope you won't mind if we try to help you see why you should choose to be "for" us, instead of "against" us or remaining apathetic.

Good idea Ray... Or we could let the man be who he is and accept him as such.

Not a lot of choices: 1) for... 2) against ....and 3) don't really care.

How about another choice? Those who are neither for or against... but who are just interested in learning something about the religion for reasons of their own?

Using honey is nice and all....but wouldn't it have been sneakier if you didn't expose the methods to lure him in? LOL

Originally posted by pushka@Sep 23 2005, 04:49 PM

I agree Pushka, questioning isn't anti. Anti behavior is shown when someone questions to disprove scared truths, like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

The motive or the intent of the poster should be much as looked at as what they say. Some come here to learn more, other’s come to destroy.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by pushka@Sep 29 2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks SF...

Btw..I just accidentally clicked on your profile and found the following Birth Day details for you: 16 November 1906...are you REALLY going to be 99 this year!!!! ??? :)

I have seen a recent picture of her... and man oh man... if she is that old... I want some of the stuff she is taking...!!!

Originally posted by Please+Sep 29 2005, 01:24 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-pushka@Sep 29 2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks SF...

Btw..I just accidentally clicked on your profile and found the following Birth Day details for you: 16 November 1906...are you REALLY going to be 99 this year!!!! ??? :)

I have seen a recent picture of her... and man oh man... if she is that old... I want some of the stuff she is taking...!!!

Yeah LOL ROFL!

I did that one day one I was feeling a bit rebellious!! Sometimes I do feel that old ;)

Thanks for the compliment Please. :sparklygrin:

(whispering) Hey ladies did you catch a glimpse of my image on my profile? Very nice eh?

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 29 2005, 02:35 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 29 2005, 01:24 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-pushka@Sep 29 2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks SF...

Yeah LOL ROFL!

I did that one day one I was feeling a bit rebellious!! Sometimes I do feel that old ;)

Thanks for the compliment Please. :sparklygrin:

(whispering) Hey ladies did you catch a glimpse of my image on my profile? Very nice eh?

Yes, very nice indeed... but not quite as nice as his cohort in that movie, Mr. Vince Vaughn!

LOL SF...good on ya gal, being rebellious indeed! AT YOUR AGE YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER...lol.

Btw...sorry but I still prefer George Clooney to the guys you like..specially in From Dusk Till Dawn when he's got those gorgeous tattoos...and NO, before you ask, I don't usually go for tattooed men, but Georgie Boy sure suited his fake ones...yum.... :cloud9:

• 1 month later...

anti = against

against = contrary to

contrary = opposed

oppose = to express disagreement with or dislike of, or make an effort to stop or prevent the activity

(when in doubt, consult Webster's) :idea: