Federal Judge overturns polygamy law in Utah

pam

The title of the article is a bit misleading:

In a ruling released Friday, U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups ruled language prohibiting polygamous cohabitation in Utah's 1973 statute to be unconstitutional.

However, bigamy — fraudulantly acquiring multiple purportedly valid marriage licenses to enter into more than one legal marriage — remains against the law in Utah.

Read more at Federal judge overturns part of Utah's law against polygamy | ksl.com

Huzzah!

It's driven me nuts for awhile (like 15 years before converting), that one can live in a commune in Hawaii or a loft in New York, or wherever, existing in any kind of polyamory ... and its Perfectly Legal.

Bohemian, Swingers, Polly, threesomes, foursomes, moresomes... Whatever you label yourselves is FINE. Legal. Above board. In domestic partnership agreements or casual hookups.

Unless you're in Utah.

Q

It'll be fun to watch SCOTUS try and gag this one down.

Cue Jim Dabakis and the rest of the Utah Dems screaming about how this violates the enabling statute and Utah should revert to territorial status with White-House-appointed statewide officers in five . . . four . . . three . . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

It's a huge freedom of speech issue, not to mention personal privacy. Why should it be illegal to call more than 1 person your spouse? It's ok, in the eyes of the law, to have sex, raise kids, pay common bills, with more than 2 people but say the word 'wife' or 'husband' and the law will be after you in no time flat. Crazy. I'm glad this judge had some sense.

Huzzah!

It's driven me nuts for awhile (like 15 years before converting), that one can live in a commune in Hawaii or a loft in New York, or wherever, existing in any kind of polyamory ... and its Perfectly Legal.

Bohemian, Swingers, Polly, threesomes, foursomes, moresomes... Whatever you label yourselves is FINE. Legal. Above board. In domestic partnership agreements or casual hookups.

Unless you're in Utah.

Q

But yeah the US is strange like that, from an outsider's point of view

I also wonder when marijuana will be legalized. It seems that is where the United States is heading.

I personally am for keeping marijuana illegal but making penalties for it very minimal. Confiscation of all drugs and a $100 fine unless you are selling to someone under the age of 18.

My reasoning is I would rather have violent thugs, rapers, robbers and child molesters locked up. You only have so much room in prisons.

Despite what it may seem - I am a live and let live kind of guy. I am not one interested in making lots of laws. When we do use the force of law to make something illegal than I believe that we ought to be trying to protect somebody. For example - I do not see much reason to legalize drugs. With the caveat that minors need to be protected - with decreasing protection up to 25.

When we use the force of law to legalize something then I believe there must be an actual social need before we pass laws in supports of a thing to received specific enforcement. In other words if a law is needed to legalize something it is a way of saying everybody should do that something that is legalized.

The Traveler