Midwest Winter Storm

Palerider

They are calling for 10-12 inches of snow in the area where I live. Then on Monday the high will be 5 and the low is suppose to hit -10. Church has been cancelled ahead of this storm and the local stores are all crazy as everyone is out buying bread and milk and eggs. I never knew people ate so much French toast when it snows.

I had a friend from Illinois just post on facebook that she went grocery shopping and the lines were out the door. Couldn't find eggs, bread or milk anywhere in the store.

Edited by pam

I just went through that Nor'Easter this week. I got back into town (after Christmas) on Sunday night, and went grocery shopping on Tuesday (NYE), just to restock. I had no idea that the snow wouldn't stop for four days. I haven't seen a storm like that in Cleveland for about three years. We've had a couple of mild (for us) winters the last few years.

We've travelled north for Christmas FOUR times since the children were born. Twice to Cleveland, twice to New York City and even all the way to Niagara and passing through Kentucky and New Hampshire... All four times, we have not seen a single fake of snow. So, my children have never seen snow in their lives!

This year, snow was thick on the ground in New Jersey when we left Florida. While we were on the road, temps went to the 70's in New Jersey that by the time we arrived, all the snow has melted. We stayed for 9 days of temps in the 50's. We drive to Florida and the temps go down to the 30's. The day after we arrive in Florida, a snow storm buried New Jersey in 6 inches of snow. My kids were not even disappointed anymore. They're resigned to never experiencing snow. Ever. We did go to North Carolina a couple years ago to go skiing but the ski slope was made of "fake" snow from a snow blower and there was not enough in the kiddie area to build a proper snowman with so my kids don't count that....

Now, I know this sounds crazy but my kids are convinced they should be researched by Harvard for they have powers that drive snow away...

Edited by anatess

....This year, snow was thick on the ground in New Jersey when we left Florida. While we were on the road, temps went to the 70's in New Jersey that by the time we arrived, all the snow has melted. We stayed for 9 days of temps in the 50's. We drive to Florida and the temps go down to the 30's. The day after we arrive in Florida, a snow storm buried New Jersey in 6 inches of snow. My kids were not even disappointed anymore. They're resigned to never experiencing snow. Ever. We did go to North Carolina a couple years ago to go skiing but the ski slope was made of "fake" snow from a snow blower and there was not enough in the kiddie area to build a proper snowman with so my kids don't count that....

Now, I know this sounds crazy but my kids are convinced they should be researched by Harvard for they have powers that drive snow away...

I think your kids are right. We've had too much snow in Central Alberta, you and your family anatess are more than welcome to come to Alberta. :)

M.

The snow is much needed for the water daught i suppose. But i'd freeze in those temp's. I heard on the radio today tueswe wil be getting a cold front here temps willgo down to 40 with the wind shield of 30 thats freezing to me haha dont have enough clothes to keep warm. I will want to hibernated in my bed.

No drought in this area. The snow has hit and still falling. They just bumped our totals up to 12-14 inches now. We shal see. Life in this part of the country at a stand still.

You can only have so much French toast before going crazy. Lol

Bedsides all that weather who cares.......it's football Sunday now. Lol

Almost the whole state of Indiana is under a snow emergency. We've gotten about a foot of snow today. Now the temps are lowering to the negatives and the wind is picking up. The concern now is for the power lines. All this wet snow is sticking to the trees and electrical wires. Many neighborhoods are without power and they are anticipating that more will be without once the frozen branches fall on the power lines.

Almost the whole state of Indiana is under a snow emergency. We've gotten about a foot of snow today. Now the temps are lowering to the negatives and the wind is picking up. The concern now is for the power lines. All this wet snow is sticking to the trees and electrical wires. Many neighborhoods are without power and they are anticipating that more will be without once the frozen branches fall on the power lines.

We have about 10-12 inches of snow here. The temp this morning is -6. We might get back to 1 later today and then down to -10 tonight. However the blessing here will be no wind chill tonight. That's currently running about -30 with the wind.

Cleveland checking in. Not much snow (we still have 10-12 inches from last week's Nor'Easter), but all our snow -- and everything else -- is covered with ice. 12 right now with a "real feel" (thanks, Accuweather!) of -19. I'm good and prepared to stay inside, except that I wish I had some Pedialyte. My toddler threw up twice during the night, and my five-year-old had diarrhea this morning. Didn't anticipate either of those. :(

Just a note: If it was not for a meeting in SLC myself and Mrs. Traveler would have been caught in the storm. I had to come home early for a meeting in SLC and Mrs Traveler had to make changes to avoid canceled flights - which meant connections to an overbooked flight Saturday night. It worked out because just enough problems were starting that there were miss connections allowing her to make it home. If I had been with her at the time one of us would have been stuck.

The Traveler

send the snow to Utah please. We need the water.

It's kinda interesting, I've seen some comments from people out west who hint or point out the water as a silver lining (I'm not saying you are doing this). Snow just doesn't work that way out here, even if we did have a drought while the snow might recharge some reservoirs we don't have a snowpack to hold onto it into the summer. It is interesting how your thinking changes with geography.

As far as wanting the snow in Utah, you're welcome to every flake, particularly the 18 inch berm blocking the end of my driveway. :D

Current temperature is -11 but with the wind chill it feels like -35. My poor Dravin is hacking at that big pile of frozen ice-covered snow pile from the plows. He was out there for 10 min and came inside to warm up as his goatee was frozen.

man look @ the weather all over the usa. Its real bad! I'm preparing for for the weather drop. Washed my sweats and blankets that stay in the closet going to pick up some soup and hot chocolate. Took a shower haha I know this is funny, but with the temps going down in the early am I wont take a shower unless my uncle puts the heat on and the chances of that happening is very low. This afternoon it was 84 in the house put the a/c on haha.Called my gf asked her if she doesn't use her electric blanket can I borrow it?? I know it sounds weird to most of you but living in south florida for most of my life u get use to weather being around the 80s to 90's. Average yrly I'd say is 80's. So when it drop we frezeeee its already dropped 12 degreesin some areas and it just started to rain.

Current temperature is -11 but with the wind chill it feels like -35. My poor Dravin is hacking at that big pile of frozen ice-covered snow pile from the plows. He was out there for 10 min and came inside to warm up as his goatee was frozen.

It was from your neighborhood that I and Mrs. Traveler escaped and Minneapolis that Mrs. Traveler was almost trapped. Take care out there.

The Traveler