Missions and obesity

lscrandall

I have a son that has wanted to serve a mission since he was a little boy. When he turned 19 he put his papers in to find out that he couldn't go due to being overweight. His self esteem went being excited about serving the lord to not wanting anything to do with the church. He struggled 8 months trying to lose the weight required, he has been overweight all his life. Their is no consideration he can't even serve in the states. I have known a few who had this problem most of them will now have nothing to do with the . church.For years there was no weight requirement young men and women served with all their heart families . required to carry them on their insurance which I had no problem I can not believe that the lord would care if a missionary is overweight I have heard of disabled people being alowed to serve why discriminate against the obese.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article that came out in the Ensign regarding this issue. It was health preparations for a mission.

"The Missionary Department requires that missionaries have a body mass index no higher than 37. This is actually on the border between obesity and morbid obesity. Prospective missionaries should strive to keep their weight in the normal range, thereby avoiding obesity-related health problems. Being markedly under normal weight can also have serious health consequences."

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Missionary Health Preparation

I think part of the reason for this requirement is that missionaries have to have quite a bit of stamina. They are walking and riding bikes. Health issues can arise for those who are obese. It's a common sense and health sense kind of thing. Not that they aren't any less spiritual than one who has a BMI of 10.

I have a son that has wanted to serve a mission since he was a little boy. When he turned 19 he put his papers in to find out that he couldn't go due to being overweight. His self esteem went being excited about serving the lord to not wanting anything to do with the church. He struggled 8 months trying to lose the weight required, he has been overweight all his life. Their is no consideration he can't even serve in the states. I have known a few who had this problem most of them will now have nothing to do with the . church.For years there was no weight requirement young men and women served with all their heart families . required to carry them on their insurance which I had no problem I can not believe that the lord would care if a missionary is overweight I have heard of disabled people being alowed to serve why discriminate against the obese.

Would he qualify for a service mission close to home?

The issue with weight, and health, has to do with the physical stress of serving. As far as someone being disabled it'd depend on the exact disability. Have you looked into local part-time missions? Usually you hear about older missionaries doing such but I have heard of younger missionaries taking that option because their situation does not allow a full time missionary opportunity. I'd have him talk to his Bishop about the possibility of such options.

An 18-year-old woman in our ward served a mission and had to go home after 2 months due to a (bulging/herniated) disc on her back. She now serves as a ward missionary.

It is easy to say "the Church shouldn't discriminate morbidly obese people from serving in full-time missions"... it's quite different to have to be prepared to carry the burden of the health hazards of the morbidly obese in the mission field. If the sister in our ward would have known she had a (bulging/herniated) disc, she wouldn't have been allowed to go either.

There are a million and one ways to serve Christ and His Church. I joined the church too old to serve a mission. I'm not in any way upset that there's an age discrimination on full-time missionaries. I have a full plate on my hands serving the Lord in the capacity that I can.

I was about 260 lbs when I entered the field (walking mission). I lost eighty pounds out there; but until I slimmed down I was forever slowing up my companions and I was too physically exhausted and out-of-breath to put any real effort into street-contacting.

Quite bluntly, my lack of preparation was a hindrance to the work and it wasn't fair to my companions.

I'm sorry you're hurt and frustrated by this. I know it doesn't seem fair and that it feels wrong, especially when it's on a level as personal as our own child.

Unfortunately, these decisions have to be made at an impersonal level. In many ways, it is a logical decision that balances the needs of the Church with the needs of the individual.

If the information that has been presented in this thread is correct, and your son was turned down for weight reasons, then it stands to reason that your son has a serious health condition (perhaps more than one) that needs to be treated with his primary care physician and with regular follow-up. Your son cannot receive the appropriate level of medical care he needs and deserves under the constraints of a full time mission. I think it is incorrect to say that your son is not fit for a mission, but that missionary service is not fit for your son.

Tneir are some obese people that I know that just because they are overwieght does not mean that they donot have any stamina or cannot handle strenuous activity. Yes being overweight does not help but I know people that are not overweight and cannot handle the activity eithier. Someone that is not a couch potato and does strenuos activity can handle the stress. If a doctor gives you a physical and says that you are physically fit to serve than who is the church to question that. The church has exceptions for people with medical issues and disabilities but not for some one that is overweight. Yes you can say they are capable of medical conditions but I bet you that if a study was done that no more overweight idividuals have any more problems than the average missionary when it comes to medical conditions. Do you relize how it makes the prospective missionary feel ? I can tell you it does a wonder on their self esteem. Lets see a study on how many prospective missionaries actually loose the wait out of the number turned away. How many have fallen away from the church do to this policy I can name a few. I think that it is said throughout church history there has been overweight missionaries until recentley. It easy for those of you who have never stugled with a weight control problem to say if they would at least try, get of the couch and exercise etc. what about those who have given it an honest effort should they not serve the Lord. I am disgraced that the chuch follows this policy. Its to bad for the young men and women who cannot serve and have fallen away. I never knew that God cared what race, or what a person looked liked or weighed to serve him. Those who are told they cannot serve are constanley asked why this is degrading for them. Its to bad all they ever wanted to do is serve the Lord.

Tneir are some obese people that I know that just because they are overwieght does not mean that they donot have any stamina or cannot handle strenuous activity. Yes being overweight does not help but I know people that are not overweight and cannot handle the activity eithier. Someone that is not a couch potato and does strenuos activity can handle the stress. If a doctor gives you a physical and says that you are physically fit to serve than who is the church to question that.

Uh... it's the Church's program... let alone their insurance.

The church has exceptions for people with medical issues and disabilities but not for some one that is overweight. Yes you can say they are capable of medical conditions but I bet you that if a study was done that no more overweight idividuals have any more problems than the average missionary when it comes to medical conditions.

Medical issues and disabilities should be examined on a case-by-case basis.

You'll probably have similar concerns with someone wanting to apply for life insurance. "Oh but he's as healthy as an ox", but the medical tables will rate the policy as 2x as expensive as a standard quote. The principle is the same.

Do you relize how it makes the prospective missionary feel? I can tell you it does a wonder on their self esteem.

Do you know how it would feel to be that missionary's companion? There's more going on than just your son.

Lets see a study on how many prospective missionaries actually loose the wait out of the number turned away. How many have fallen away from the church do to this policy I can name a few.

If you're going to let a policy like this threaten your testimony, then it's not as strong as you think it is.

I think that it is said throughout church history there has been overweight missionaries until recentley. It easy for those of you who have never stugled with a weight control problem to say if they would at least try, get of the couch and exercise etc. what about those who have given it an honest effort should they not serve the Lord.

I'm not saying that. However, you already described it. It's a weight control problem.

I am disgraced that the chuch follows this policy. Its to bad for the young men and women who cannot serve and have fallen away. I never knew that God cared what race, or what a person looked liked or weighed to serve him. Those who are told they cannot serve are constanley asked why this is degrading for them. Its to bad all they ever wanted to do is serve the Lord.

And do you think your ranting is helping anyone with anything?

It's not your program. It's the Lord's program. We have a sustaining voice, but not a dictating voice when it comes to the Lord's Church and how it handles its affairs.

ya I am pissed off about my sons case, but I am also talking for all of the others that have been turned away. If you go get a physical for the church under church guidelines and by policy that doctor signs you a clean bill of health you have a ekg etc. and according to the doctor you are fit to go on a mission than the church says you are not something is wrong.

I have some questions on this topic.

So, does a physician's note stating that x is generally healthy not enough evidence for the Church to make an exception? Secondly, are there any limitations on mental health? I would think someone's mental health could also cause problems while out in the field.

Uh... it's the Church's program... let alone their insurance.

It's also worth mentioning that the Church employs doctors of their own. They aren't chucking darts at a board marked, "Random reasons to deny applications for full-time missionary service."

I'm not saying that. However, you already described it. It's a weight control problem.

And really:

1) If it is a legitimate psychological issue, legitimate psychological issues can result in being excused form full-time missionary service.

2) If it is a legitimate medical issue, legitimate medical issues can result in being excused from full-time missionary service.

The idea that if those with a BMI greater than 37 are excused from full-time missionary service it must mean people are viewing it as a willpower issue of people who aren't even trying is a non-starter. The First Presidency Statement is quite applicable:

There are worthy individuals who desire to serve but do not qualify for the physical, mental, or emotional challenges of a mission. We ask stake presidents and bishops to express love and appreciation to these individuals and to honorably excuse them from full-time missionary labors.

Source: LDS.org - Ensign Article - Missionary Health Preparation

I never knew that God cared what race, or what a person looked liked or weighed to serve him. Those who are told they cannot serve are constanley asked why this is degrading for them. Its to bad all they ever wanted to do is serve the Lord.

Then they should serve the Lord. The idea that a full-time mission is the only way one can serve the Lord is a gross error. The First Presidency statement above excuses individuals from full-time missionary service, not from serving the Lord.

Edited by Dravin

My nephew got a clearance from the doctor, but the Church requested some follow-up testing when they got the forms because of some questions they had and a previous condition that may have had problems. (FWIW he's thin as a rail, they just needed to know he wouldn't have health limitations based on other things).

There are limitations on mental health.

I don't know how we're supposed to practice what we preach, besides trying to understand that the Church has good reasons for its policies and trying to honor those reasons. If so, then. . . "check", I guess.

ya I am pissed off about my sons case, but I am also talking for all of the others that have been turned away. If you go get a physical for the church under church guidelines and by policy that doctor signs you a clean bill of health you have a ekg etc. and according to the doctor you are fit to go on a mission than the church says you are not something is wrong.

Is this the case? Do you know all these people who passed the doctor's physical but did not pass the church's policy? Are you presenting facts or theories? Did a doctor pass your son's physical?

It's simple. One is physically and mentally able to serve a mission, with or without appropriate accommodations, or one is not.

Edited by Backroads

Did you receive such a clean bill of health for your son? If so, then take it to the bishop and have your son have a discussion with him one-on-one.

But let me just repeat what I said in my post: A full-time mission is NOT THE ONLY WAY one serves the Lord. Your son may not qualify for a mission but that does not mean he can sit back and say he does not have to serve!

Edited by anatess

but I bet you that if a study was done that no more overweight idividuals have any more problems than the average missionary when it comes to medical conditions. Do you relize how it makes the prospective missionary feel ? I can tell you it does a wonder on their self esteem. Lets see a study on how many prospective missionaries actually loose the wait out of the number turned away. How many have fallen away from the church do to this policy I can name a few.

There's a difference between being healthy & just overweight and being unhealthy & obese.

Yes, I bet if we did a study, we might find insignificant differences between the performances of normal and overweight missionaries, but I bet we would see differences if we factored in true medical obesity.

The reason these prospective missionaries fell away is due to not only the possible treatment of members around them, but their own weak testimonies.

I was in the same situation as your son. My doctor just asked me if I thought I could handle it physically when discussing the weight, and I of course said yes... So he "signed". My stake president helped me realise otherwise. I lost 20 kilo before going on a mission, had I not I would not have been sent.

None of us (including you) completely know your son's situation, and while mistakes do happen, the best thing you could do is support him in fulfilling the promise of missionary work that he has already made. -EVERY- member is a missionary, no exception. Is that not something precious to work with?

If his stake president, or whoever has processed his missionary papers, has felt that he can't go on a mission with his current weight, then why should you fret? Either it means that he has the willpower and ability to shake off that weight and then go on a mission, or it means that God's will for him is in a different location/situation? Don't you think that he can serve?

I believe that he can. I don't think the Lord would punish him for a good desire? Neither would he want him, having a desire to serve, to be left behind in the great work. So to say that this has been wrong, and has happened at a wrong time, seems to me is like saying God doesn't know the best condition and time for him to serve. But He does! And He wants him to! And he is able to serve.

You can hold him back, or you can help him go forwards in service. If he is mentally able, then there's no need to fear or be angry. If he is physically able, then that is great. If he needs physical preperation, then that is good, because it will help him grow the character that he will have in the future, to serve and bless -others-. Remember that negative thoughts are not from God, and that whatever comes our way when we are living as best we can, is a part of lifes journey.

I know that I, looking back, am grateful for the advice and the growth I was blessed with when I realised I needed to loose weight to fully serve a full time mission, and not just be on a full time mission.

If you feel he needs support to overcome that stumbling block he has been working with for 8 months, it is there to be had.

So, does a physician's note stating that x is generally healthy not enough evidence for the Church to make an exception?

It should be noted that the Church has doctors reviewing the medical aspects of applications. When I applied I had an issue with the TB test (I think it ended up being a transcription error on the doctor who gave me the physical's part) and there was back and forth between the doctor at the missionary department and the physician who signed off on the paperwork. So at least in my case I had physicians on both ends discussing my application issues and they accepted my physicians explanation and assurance.

Secondly, are there any limitations on mental health? I would think someone's mental health could also cause problems while out in the field.

Yep, though mental health issues are less likely to be caught during the standard required physical compared to something like arrhythmia (or obesity*) and thus rely more on self-reporting and proper previous diagnosis.

*It's worth noting that medical obesity starts at a BMI of 30, the cut off is 37.

Edited by Dravin

are there any limitations on mental health? I would think someone's mental health could also cause problems while out in the field.

Dravin mentioned self-reporting.

One of my sisters suffers from severe seasonal affective disorder. That doesn't really come up on a mission physical, so she self-reported.

We honestly think that's part of the reason she is now serving in southern California.

Edited by Backroads

its the jerks like you that drive people away from the church, its a shame that you are so shallow maybe you should not be so judgemental andpratice what you preach

After 6 posts, you are judgmental against the entire missionary program and the standards set for a young man to be eligible for missionary service. Because it doesn't meet with your standards, you are ready to pounce and go to war with anyone that doesn't agree or sympathize with you.

In fact, you're EXPANDING your criticisms to include how ALL overweight or disabled people who are unable to serve are being 'discriminated' against.

I suppose we should've started out by asking "Do you want sympathy or advice?"

For sympathy: "There, there, dear. It'll be okay."

There has been plenty of advice given in this thread. I recommend trying to find the higher road for you and your son. It's the more emotionally mature road to go.

Dravin mentioned self-reporting.

One of my sisters suffers from severe seasonal affective disorder. That doesn't really come up on a mission physical, so she self-reported.

We honestly think that's part of the reason she is now serving in southern California.

I self-reported a deep aversion to body lice and bad food, and I got sent to Rome. So it worked for me.

No, it means that the physician who performs the physical's opinion is not the final word on fitness to serve a full-time mission. Which makes sense, the physician who performs the physical does not necessarily understand the full rigors and involvement in the mission field nor are they tasked with providing medical support and care for the missionary when they are in the field. It means that the ultimate determination of fitness is being made by those who will be responsible for missionaries in the field, which is perfectly sensible and far from being 'something wrong'.

So, does a physician's note stating that x is generally healthy not enough evidence for the Church to make an exception? Secondly, are there any limitations on mental health? I would think someone's mental health could also cause problems while out in the field.

A 20-year-old in our ward has cerebral palsy. He is graduating from high school this year and asked if he can serve a mission. His dad is in the bishopric. They're discussing a missionary option for him but it wouldn't be in a full-time mission.