Tomboy worried about what other sisters will think

Meerkatarmy

I certainly took it as was I concerned that's what they may think rather than being asked if I was a lesbian. Perhaps I shouldn't have muddied the water by replying that I was indeed.

Basically all I am worried about is going to relief meetings and being told to go to priesthood.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please quote me where I asked the OP if she is gay and if you cannot find such quote, I would please ask you to recognize your own misreading and retract the statement publicly.

Next time, please take the time to read before you go around throwing those sort of statements with no basis. Thanks.

Suzie never asked if I was gay she asked if I was worried that relief members would think I am gay.

IPerhaps I shouldn't have muddied the water by replying that I was indeed.

You didn't muddy anything Meerkatarmy! Please, don't think that. :) You was just being honest.

Basically all I am worried about is going to relief meetings and being told to go to priesthood.

I don't think it will happen, however you might consider talking to your new Bishop and explain a little the situation. Everything will work out just fine. :)

And your point is.....what?

You seemed to imply that "tomboy" and "gay" are mutually exclusive qualities. I was simply pointing out that it was possible for "tomboy" and "gay" to co-exist within the same person.

The OP volunteered the information that she was gay. Before you start throwing out accusations, perhaps you could be bothered to read the entire thread next time.

Meerkatarmy-

If you find out that this church is true, that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that the Book of Mormon is true, you will come to church to renew your commitments to God no matter what people think. I'm not saying it will be comfortable, but you will be at peace.

One thing that the Gospel of Jesus Christ does is gets people out of their comfort zones. For example if/when you attend church (and I hope it's when if you haven't gone already) you might feel uncomfortable wearing more feminine clothing. Dressing in a way that attracts attention or causes distraction is never appropriate during worship services. The focus of the meeting should be on the atonement of Jesus Christ. As you faithfully worship and the calming influence of the Holy Ghost works within you, I am confident that the clothing issue will eventually not be an issue.

I think it is wonderful that you are considering membership in this church. :-)

Ok, just want to point this out so you're prepared...

There is a big difference between wearing pants and wearing dude clothes...

Wearing pants, by itself, is not too common. In my ward, I'm one of only two women that has ever showed up in pants for Sacrament Meeting except for investigators. So yes, when you wear pants, you tend to get noticed.

Wearing dude clothes is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Yes, we are to wear what is comfortable for us. And I suggest to stay in your comfort zone until you gain a strong testimony of the truth of the gospel.

But, eventually, if you continue to progress within the church, the issue of wanting to be a dude will be brought up by the bishop. It may, or may not touch your desire to look like a dude. But it will definitely include the role of women in God's Kingdom as opposed to men's.

But, an important Church doctrine is that all of us learn line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little. And we are here to serve in love to our fellow men. Be humble and patient with everyone's weaknesses for we all have them, and humbly and prayerfully open your heart to the promptings of the Spirit, and The Lord promises us peace and joy amid the challenges.

I am absolutely convinced God never said it was a woman's role to wear skirts to church, are there any commandments that support that idea? I suspect it is just what has always happened and the LDS church isn't known for its willingness to adapt. The only rules are modesty and Sunday best, my pants and long sleeved shirt covers way more than the majority of dresses/skirts.

If the bishop is more concerned abut what I wear on the outside than what is in my heart, I would suggest he isn't the man for the job.

HI!

I am strongly considering being baptized into the church, I feel I have found the church for me the scripture makes sense and I have experienced the guidance of the Holy Spirit. However, I have what may seem like a trivial problem. I am a tomboy I wear dudes clothes and to church I wear dress trousers and shirt and will be investing in a suit. I just do not feel comfortable in skirts and if I were to wear one t church I feel my focus would be on what I was wearing rather than concentrating on what is being said. My worry is that I when I go it to relief meetings the women are going to look at me like I have walked into the wrong room or think I am a freak. I have avoided the meetings for this reason but I can't forever and don't want to.

In my last church I was forced to wear girly clothes or made to stand outside and people grabbed their children away from me like I was the child snatcher or something!

I know people will probably be thinking just put n a skirt it isn't that hard. So the question is will the churches people accept me the way I feel God and the Church has?

In my ward you would be welcomed with open arms regardless of what you were wearing.

I live in a rual area in Utah and in the middle of snow and water skiing, camping and hiking etc. Sometimes people come in Tshirts and shorts with flipflops. Also, within our ward boundaries is a AA Camp. The men who want to attend church are checked out by our Ward Mission Leader and attend in whatever clothes they have.

All are welcome.

I am absolutely convinced God never said it was a woman's role to wear skirts to church, are there any commandments that support that idea? I suspect it is just what has always happened and the LDS church isn't known for its willingness to adapt. The only rules are modesty and Sunday best, my pants and long sleeved shirt covers way more than the majority of dresses/skirts.

If the bishop is more concerned abut what I wear on the outside than what is in my heart, I would suggest he isn't the man for the job.

Nah.

I mean, it's theoretically possible you might get a jerk of a bishop (if unlikely), it's mostly just us thinking things through.

We like talking about all the different variables and things in play, and we all have different backgrounds/ways of going about it. So a fairly simple question /answer to one person, is more complex to another, and then everyone starts talking about the complexities. Or lack thereof. We go off on tangents a lot, round here. :)

Things are a lot more simple in real life than we make them in here, because in real life we don't have all the variables. Each person is just themselves. But in here when we start talking about the overarching stuff, we aren't just dealing with, say, personQ... But personA-perzonZ.

Q

Yeah I think I am over complicating things. I am going to wear pants to church. I will sing learn, take sacrament when I can and pray like everyone else. If any one has a problem how I dress I will help them learn it is what is in our hearts and deeds that count, if they still feel they need to judge then I guess that's their cross to bear.

Yeah I think I am over complicating things. I am going to wear pants to church. I will sing learn, take sacrament when I can and pray like everyone else. If any one has a problem how I dress I will help them learn it is what is in our hearts and deeds that count, if they still feel they need to judge then I guess that's their cross to bear.

Awesome. Please keep us updated. :)

Remember that God will not command us in all things. Just because he didn't specifically say it does not mean that it is an automatic okay. We might never be commanded that we should wear gender appropriate clothing, but we have been commanded to meet together often and learn about the Gospel. Anything that detracts or distracts from that learning process is contrary to God's plan.

We believe in inspiration and revelation so that we don't have to be commanded in all things. We also believe in stewardship and that a bishop can receive revelation for those who he presides over. If the bishop wishes to speak to you it will most likely be because he is concerned about maintaining an edifying and learning atmosphere that is free from preventable distractions, not that he cares more about what you are wearing than what is in your heart.

I will give an example of a brother that insisted on wearing a black shirt to pass the sacrament. While this is technically not against the rules, we live in a place in the world where a white shirt can be obtained quite easily without undue burden. Even though it was technically not against the rules, wearing a black shirt would have been a considerable distraction to the main purpose of attending church. If we lived in a different place, it may have been completely appropriate.

Always assume the good first, and always assume that the bishop, with all his human weaknesses, cares about your spiritual well being more than you can imagine.

If you end up thinking he isn't the man for the job, try thinking that maybe you do not understand his job.

I don't want to be a dude.

I apologize. I meant wanting to look like a dude.

Let me put it this way... I'm a Broncos fan (well, actually I'm not, but let's just I am), but blue and orange just doesn't do anything for me and it makes my complexion look sallow. My favorite color is Steelers gold (well, actually it's not, but let's just say it is) and I look great in it!

So then, the Steelers and the Broncos face off at mile high and I go get my homeside chair right in the middle of a sea of blue and orange. But because I am just not comfortable in blue and orange, I go wear my favorite comfortable gold shirt that brings out the highlights in my hair and evens out my skin tone...

So yes, it shouldn't matter what you wear to a football stadium. There's no rule against wearing whatever you are comfortable wearing. But, a gold shirt in the middle of a Broncos vs Steelers game sends an unintended message and you'll have to go through some long explanations, maybe getting some popcorn thrown your way before people get used to the bright gold being a home-team gal. It's a distraction to the game that doesn't need to be there. Because... I could have showed up to the game in a "not as comfortable but better than orange" Green shirt seated in the middle of all the blue and orange and it would have been just fine.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Sometimes, it takes some effort to go beyond ourselves and be mindful of others. And like I said earlier... this will naturally come as you gain a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Because, Christ's gospel is all about Love. It drives us to give of ourselves in the service of others. So, for now, don't worry a wit about it!

I felt similarly when I first started going to church. I remember saying to my missionaries that I didn't have anything to wear.

I'm not a dress person and usually am pretty scruffy and have an alternative style. The ideas I had about what the church expected made me void going for so long. I never used to think dressing nicely for church made a difference either.

But - I have been so surprised at how relaxed people are at church. Some girls wear trousers or even jeans - no one looks at them oddly or seems to say anything.

At the end of the day, what you wear is not why you go to church.

Remember that God will not command us in all things. Just because he didn't specifically say it does not mean that it is an automatic okay. We might never be commanded that we should wear gender appropriate clothing, but we have been commanded to meet together often and learn about the Gospel. Anything that detracts or distracts from that learning process is contrary to God's plan.

We believe in inspiration and revelation so that we don't have to be commanded in all things. We also believe in stewardship and that a bishop can receive revelation for those who he presides over. If the bishop wishes to speak to you it will most likely be because he is concerned about maintaining an edifying and learning atmosphere that is free from preventable distractions, not that he cares more about what you are wearing than what is in your heart.

I will give an example of a brother that insisted on wearing a black shirt to pass the sacrament. While this is technically not against the rules, we live in a place in the world where a white shirt can be obtained quite easily without undue burden. Even though it was technically not against the rules, wearing a black shirt would have been a considerable distraction to the main purpose of attending church. If we lived in a different place, it may have been completely appropriate.

Always assume the good first, and always assume that the bishop, with all his human weaknesses, cares about your spiritual well being more than you can imagine.

If you end up thinking he isn't the man for the job, try thinking that maybe you do not understand his job.

If a pair of pants distracts you from learning the scripture then how strong can their resolve be? Let he with no sin cast the first stone. I am not talking about going to church in multi-colourd clown pants just simple gray dress pants. I genuinely can not see a problem with this? Because it doesn't demonstrate me as good wife material? I think there are far bigger issues about me that would make me a rubbish wife than pants.

May be I am being niave but I am choosing to listen to the supportive posts and I will make my own mind up at church. But will take more than a few tuts and disapproving looks to push me away from the church.

But, a gold shirt in the middle of a Broncos vs Steelers game sends an unintended message

And what is the message you think is sending if Meerkatarmy chooses to wear a suit instead of a skirt?

It's a distraction to the game that doesn't need to be there.

To be honest, I fail to see why it is a distraction. As the OP explained, she is not going to wear a multi-colored pants, she is going to wear a normal and modest suit. How is it distracting?

I don't think this is the underlined issue at all, I think the issue is that some people will feel uncomfortable seeing a woman dressed this way and we are expecting her to conform to what makes us comfortable seeing in RS or Church in general. It is not about her, it is about us.

In my opinion, this has to do with our own perception about people and what we find acceptable or not, seeing a woman dressed in a man's suit will probably raise a few eyebrows but it's how we deal with those differences what makes us understand what the Gospel of Jesus Christ should be all about.

I am not trying to put myself like the perfect sister because God knows I am very far from that, but I hope if I was in her ward, I would welcome Meerkatarmy with open arms and I would sit next to her and if she confides in me and tells me that's how she wishes to dress for the rest of her life as a member, I would support her 100%, and love her and try my best to make her feel comfortable. I would not expect her to wear dresses or skirts just because everyone else does.

For me, knowing there is someone ready to accept the Gospel and wants to commune with us as Saints it's a wonderful feeling. Whether she chooses to dress like a dude or not, makes absolutely no difference to me. None at all.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Sometimes, it takes some effort to go beyond ourselves and be mindful of others. And like I said earlier... this will naturally come as you gain a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Because, Christ's gospel is all about Love. It drives us to give of ourselves in the service of others. So, for now, don't worry a wit about it!

Anatess, I do not agree with this part of your example. Indirectly (and please feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding you) it implies that if she chooses to wear a suit she is not being mindful of others, how exactly will she be doing that?

Guest LiterateParakeet

Meerkatarmy, one of our great church scholars said something that relates well to this discussion.

"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism... the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances." Hugh Nibley

If I were you, I would put a copy of this in my scriptures, to remind myself--or anyone else that needed a reminder. :) In fact, I think I will put a copy of this in my scriptures to remind me because I have seen some really heated discussions (on more than one message board) about whether or not it is appropriate to knit in church. I think Bro. Nibley's statement applies to that as well. If I took sometime to think about it, I'm sure I could come up with other examples. I think I should go read more Nibley! :)

Meerkatarmy, one of our great church scholars said something that relates well to this discussion.

"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism... the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances." Hugh Nibley

If I were you, I would put a copy of this in my scriptures, to remind myself--or anyone else that needed a reminder. :) In fact, I think I will put a copy of this in my scriptures to remind me because I have seen some really heated discussions (on more than one message board) about whether or not it is appropriate to knit in church. I think Bro. Nibley's statement applies to that as well. If I took sometime to think about it, I'm sure I could come up with other examples. I think I should go read more Nibley! :)

What a great quote!

I grew up hating the whole corporate look the Church has pushed. I identified myself as a punk and enjoyed the edgy music and resisting the standard collective views of fashion. I struggled hard when it came time for my mission.

I remember reading Matthew 16:21–28

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it

It was then I decided that losing myself meant to let go of this image I had of myself. I came to understand that the ultimate rebellion is to rebel against oneself and their natural inclinations and subject oneself in obedience.

“Your real, new self (which is Christ's and also yours, and yours just because it is His) will not come as long as you are looking for it. It will come when you are looking for Him. Does that sound strange? The same principle holds, you know, for more everyday matters. Even in social life, you will never make a good impression on other people until you stop thinking about what sort of impression you are making. Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. The principle runs through all life from top to bottom, Give up yourself, and you will find your real self. Lose your life and you will save it. Submit to death, death of your ambitions and favourite wishes every day and death of your whole body in the end submit with every fibre of your being, and you will find eternal life. Keep back nothing. Nothing that you have not given away will be really yours. Nothing in you that has not died will ever be raised from the dead. Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.”

― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself." C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“There are no real personalities apart from God. Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self. Sameness is to be found most among the most 'natural' men, not among those who surrender to Christ. How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerers have been; how gloriously different are the saints.

But there must be a real giving up of the self. You must throw it away 'blindly' so to speak. Christ will indeed give you a real personality; but you must not go to Him for the sake of that. As long as your own personality is what you are bothering about you are not going to Him at all. The very first step is to try to forget about the self altogether. Your real, new self (which is Christ's and also yours, and yours just because it is His) will not come as long as you are looking for it. It will come when you are looking for Him...Keep back nothing. Nothing that you have not given away will be really yours. Nothing in you that has not died will ever be raised from the dead. Look for yourself, and you will find in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ, and you will find Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

There was a convert that was recently baptized in our ward who came to church dressed like Davy Crocket (Frontiersman) with the knee high leather moccasins and dangling squirrel tails and all. Last week he came for dinner to our home and mentioned all the strange looks he got at Church. It's human nature for people to react to things they view as out of the norm, it does not mean they are bad people anymore then dressing out of the norm makes one a bad person. He was baptized last Sunday and wore a white shirt tie, dress slacks and dress shoes. Someone must have provided them because he is homeless. After he was baptized he sat on the bench and just wept the tears streaming down his weathered face. If he choses to return to his leather garb no one will care. But the way he dresses could be an outward sign of an internal commitment, the choice is his.

I personally don't have a problem with how people dress but I sometimes can't help but notice.

There are many other principles that people have mentioned here, like obedience to Church standards, being sensitive to not becoming a stumbling block to others in their weaknesses etc.

But we also know that -

the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

1 Samuel 16:7

Our Stake here in Florida is the highest baptizing Stake in the Nation and we have all types and that makes it fun and interesting. In a multiward meeting a couple weeks back we had a guy with full facial tattoos blessing the sacrament. My wife has visible tattoos and there are several recent converts who all happen to be female attorneys (one attorney converted her friends) who all wear pant suits every Sunday.

The bottom line is we all are learning and progressing line upon line. Trust in the Lord and do what you feel is right.

I have been thinking about this a lot and asked God to guide me in my prayers last night and all week really. I kept an open mind to hear what He said and not what I wanted to hear. The Holy Spirit responded and guided me that Heavenly Father wants us in church with all his children to learn it maters not how we dress. However, I did think if I was to get a calling, a mission for example, I would keep to the dress code set done by the church.

I view it as if a black person attended church for the first time in a ward that was all white, I am sure he would grab attention, may be even discussion, does that mean he should be turned away in case he distracts from the teachings?

A qoute I love "Jesus loved the outcasts. He loves the ones the world just loves to hate"

I like this quote as well. But it seems like it's being used to match judgment with judgment. It just doesn't sound right to me.

I think it's better to understand we make an impression with how we dress. Be patient with those who look on the outward appearance (accept it as part of our nature) and take comfort in the fact the Lord looks at the heart and strive to do likewise.

This is simply another take on the influence discussion which we have never been able to resolve in this forum. (Distraction is a form of influence) The words we use, the clothes we wear, the actions we take, can all influence others. And sometimes this influence happens in ways we do not expect or want. The argument between what should be and what really is fruit-less because you can't make someone be where they 'should be' (or where you think they should be) you have to deal with what they are. Of course we should also in a Christ-like manner (which seems in a chronic short supply) help people get to were they should be. Thus we see-saw back and forth

Sister Meerkatarmy has chosen (Wisely I think) to focus more on her relationship with Christ then how she appears to others. Since she came here asking for advice and what to expect it would be a disservice to her not to prepare her for the possibility that someone might take issues with her dress. They will try to teach her were they think she 'should be'. Hopefully they do so in the most Christ-like manner that they can. This in turn will give Sister Meerkatarmy the opportunity to respond telling them were she thinks they 'should be.' Hopefully also in the most Christ-like manner that she can.

The plus side is everyone gets a chance to be more Christ-like, the downside is being Christ-like is hard and many fail.

Edited by estradling75

And what is the message you think is sending if Meerkatarmy chooses to wear a suit instead of a skirt?

Depends on the suit. I wear a suit. It's quite an awesome pants suit. But, it's not the kind of suit that my husband wears. What message am I sending? I wear my best to Church.

But, showing up in a suit and tie that my husband wears... can unintentionally send the message "I want to be a dude"... which the OP said she doesn't want to be.

To be honest, I fail to see why it is a distraction. As the OP explained, she is not going to wear a multi-colored pants, she is going to wear a normal and modest suit. How is it distracting?

And I didn't say she was going to. This is exactly what I'm saying: Yes, the Church doesn't have a doctrine on what you should wear to Church besides your best. But, if the best that you want to wear is multi-colored clown pants, it can cause a distraction. So, if that's the only clothes you got, don't let it stop you from going to Church. But, the stronger your testimony, the more you will desire to find another pair of pants.

Anatess, I do not agree with this part of your example. Indirectly (and please feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding you) it implies that if she chooses to wear a suit she is not being mindful of others, how exactly will she be doing that?

That's not what I said at all. What I said is exactly this -

People start with self aggrandizement. This is a product of our mortal estate. I need this, I'm more comfortable with this, I was born this way.

But Christ's gospel is all about Love. The greatest commandment besides Loving God with all our hearts is to Love Others as we Love Ourselves. The entirety of the scriptures are simply applications of these 2 great commandments - every single line of scripture.

So that, we start with self aggrandizement and as we grow in our testimony we start to Love Others as we Love Ourselves. So that, it's not what I need, what I'm comfortable with, what I'm born with anymore. You start to include Others - what they need, what they're comfortable with, what they're born with - and start sacrificing ourselves more so that others may find joy in Christ.

This is easy to see if we are talking about allergies - there's that person here on lds.net who can't go to Church because she's allergic to things like perfume and lotions. So, as a ward member who applies the principle of Love, one might go out of their comfort zone of proper hygiene and forgo perfume and lotion to bring joy to that one person, or if it is just not possible, they would not grumble about how insensitive that person is for asking that they go without their lotion but have compassion for the challenges of that person and try to find a way that works out. That person, also applying the principle of Love, might go out of their comfort zone and wear an industrial filtered mask. Or if it just isn't possible, she would not grumble at how insensitive others are to her allergies but have patience for those that just can't go to Church without their perfume and try to find a way to work it out - Somehow, they meet in sacrifice and love to find peace. Everything looking outwards, everything done with love.

This goes the same with everything else in our lives - Loving Ourselves more than Loving Others is the primary obstacle to Christian Societies. And if we can't apply this principle with the very simple things like what we wear to Church, it will be very hard to find joy in this principle with the very big things like going on a mission and living with a companion.

Yes, women wearing skirts is a cultural tradition in the Church. But a whole slew of people find comfort and safety in tradition. Just brushing all that aside as - they're just old curmudgeons and they need to realize it's the 21st century so I'm going to not care about what they think because I want to wear what I want to wear - is not conforming to God's principles. It is not about the pants. It is the not caring that becomes the stumbling block.

So, sure - wear pants. But do it with a heart full of love.

Edited by anatess