Trouble with 15 yr old and bishop interview

Shepard

I have searched this entire thread and I haven't seen anybody asking whether Shepard's daughter has prayed to know if the church is true. It also looks like Shepard hasn't brought it up.

How was this missed, guys? This is INSANELY important for EVERYONE to do, much less Shepard's daughter.

It's not clear the child even believes in God.  Then too, what is Shepherd to do if the daughter says, "Yes, I prayed.  All I got was crickets?"

Still, this is solid counsel.  If I'm the dad, I'd remind my daughter to pray this prayer, but I'd leave it to her to wrestle with it.  She's clearly making her own spiritual decisions now.  No sense aggravating her by suggestion that she must report on her intimate spiritual searchings.

I have searched this entire thread and I haven't seen anybody asking whether Shepard's daughter has prayed to know if the church is true. It also looks like Shepard hasn't brought it up.

How was this missed, guys? This is INSANELY important for EVERYONE to do, much less Shepard's daughter.

Not me.  I've lived a similar situation with a teenage child before there was internet.  Sadly, truth is stranger than fiction.

The thing that doesn't sit right isn't that the story is unbelievable. It's more about how the story was told, the "hot button" issue right in line with feminist issues pushing the same sort of ideology, etc...  The story is perfectly believable.  But I agree, right from the start, something didn't sit right with me either.

I guess since I'm not following the "hot button" women's issues closely I see this as a parenting issue and not a "women's issue".

It's just the young-girls-shouldn't-be-alone-with-their-perv-bishops-asking-them-sex-questions thing. It really comes across as agenda driven to have such a specific problem example. Like -- "See, this really is a problem. This proves the male leadership thing is messed up. If women were involved then there wouldn't be a problem. Etc., etc." This particularly comes out with comments in the OP like:

This caused something to snap inside of me. The bishop is just doing his job? And yet he also seems out of line. If this practice of teenage girls confessing their private misbehavior to mature men is appropriate, why was a recording of it so outrageous to so many people in a public school?

edit: Upon re-reading my post and this ^ quote I feel even stronger. Obvious, blatant, agenda driven drivel!

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry but I support the daughter. The bishop did not need to dig further, she said she broke toc, the only further question I can see that is relevant is did you have full sex. I wouldn't allow any grown man interview my children on such sensitive issues. The bishops and leaders are not police checked like other people working with young people/children would be so I think we do need to be cautious how much/when they have unsuppervised access to our children