When to talk to the bishop

andypg

So, this is something I've been wondering about. When should I see my bishop? What reasons should I have for seeing my bishop?

I'm not entirely sure when or for what reasons (have only met with him for a temple recommend and a priesthood/patriarchal blessing interview). I know I should see him to confess certain sins (I'm planning on meeting with him and it terrifies me) but what other reasons would there be.

The phrase, "If you think you should see the bishop about it, you probably should" has been used here when these kinds of questions are asked, but I don't want to be scrupulous and as a somewhat newbie (when do I not become a newbie?) I just want to be sure I'm not wasting his time or mine.

Thanks!

Mine hunts me down & corners me.

LOL... Actually, that's the first time I felt like a "real" member, and not a newbie...

The first time I ducked the Bishop!

Don't use me as a yardstick.

I could carry a sign around "My life serves as a warning to others" ;)

My Bishop's awesome, but I have a habit of volunteering a lot, and then my work pulls me away...

So I get a lot of "Where's Quinn?"

Also, I think my name is next to his wife's or daughter's in his phone book.

So he sees my name a lot (I know this from accidental calls).

I would suggest meeting with him & discussing JUST THIS VERY topic, however.

Bishops are all different, so it's both a good way to judge what he wants you to come to him with, and a platform to discuss the things that are troubling or challenging you, at present.

Q

Typically, you see the bishop to confess "major" sins.  All sins are wrong, but ones that involve the Law of Chastity would require you to see the bishop. 

I would venture to say that if you are breaking a covenant you have made and need help to get back on the right path, then see the bishop.  Someone who accidently drank coffee and immediately repented/learned a lesson wouldn't necessarily need to see the bishop about it.  Someone who picked up the coffee habit and has been drinking it for a while and now wants to repent/change course, may need to see the bishop for help to get back on the path.

You can also see the bishop for just guidance.  He is there to help you--not judge you.  Even in a situation where you are confessing, he is there to help, not judge.  He can help you to see where you may have veered from the path and gently encourage you to change course or begin habits to help you along your path.

Don't be afraid of the bishop.  Even the most curmodgeonly of men when they are bishops have an overwhelming love and compassion for the people with whom they work.

We meet the bishop in his office at least twice a year - for Tithing Settlement and Temple Recommend Interview.  We also talk about a lot of "what's going on with you" in either of those interviews.

The bishop and his family is well intergrated into our lives.  He has children that I taught in Primary and my husband taught in Scouts.  His wife is in a lot of our RS Activities and taught our children as well.  The bishop's family go to our bday parties and such.  So we see each other a lot outside of the Bishop's office.

In the past, I have called the Bishop to come to my house when I was deep in post partum depression and had a big hoopla with my husband.  He gave us advice and a blessing.

I have been called to the Bishop's office out of nowhere - he just wanted to check how we are doing.

I have requested a meeting with the Bishop in his office when I went inactive.

That's pretty much it in my over 15 years of membership.

For confessing sins, the Gospel Principles chapter on repentance spells it out like this:

We Must Confess Our Sins

Confessing our sins is very important. The Lord has commanded us to confess our sins. Confession relieves a heavy burden from the sinner. The Lord has promised, “I, the Lord, forgive sins, and am merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts” (D&C 61:2).

We must confess all our sins to the Lord. In addition, we must confess serious sins—such as adultery, fornication, homosexual relations, spouse or child abuse, and the sale or use of illegal drugs—which might affect our standing in the Church, to the proper priesthood authority. If we have sinned against another person, we should confess to the person we have injured. Some less serious sins involve no one but ourselves and the Lord. These may be confessed privately to the Lord.

Hard to say any reasons that could get you disfellowshipped ....it's all up to your Bishop. You could also be put on what's called a Bishops probation with some guidelines and it might carry a if you don't follow these you could be called in for a church council (church court) and could be disfellowshipped or excommunicated. No one here can tell you what will happen because we are not the Judge in Israel where you live.

And because I'm paranoid:

What reasons are there for a person to be disfellowshipped?

It is important to understand that the steps that the bishop takes are from a standpoint of love and care, but not as punishments.

When you have committed/are committing a sin that is necessary to talk to the bishop about he will decide the best course of action for you.

The reasons for being disfellowshipped would vary by the bishop. Sometimes it is a decision based on the bishops judgement or if he feels it is necessary on a priesthood council who would make a decision.

Usually the purpose of disfellowshipping is to stop you doing things like taking the sacrament (home teaching, praying publicly) when you are unworthy so that you avoid the eternal consequences.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be afraid to see your Bishop, what makes it hard is we are embrassed  but he has heard everything before and only wants the best for you, what ever that might be!!!

And the best is for you to grow in knowledge, faith and trust in the Lord in imo.