Favourite Temple

Lakumi

Portland Oregon Temple-  

The marble walls (Vermont white marble) have many "windows" that are thin slabs of marble.  This causes the exterior walls to glow on the inside of the temple during the day from sunlight.  At night, the exterior walls softly glow on the outside from the lights that are on inside the temple.  It is subtle, many people miss it, but it is absolutely magnificent and a brilliantly humble feature.

Also, the base of the temple is covered with a small layer of green marble.  It gives the appearance that the temple is not touching the earth.

Manti because that's were I had my endowments done and we were sealed there. Almost all the work I've done for my ancestors has been done in Manti.

Salt Lake Temple because for our honeymoon we went there and did a few sessions.

I am hoping while we are in Oregon that we will get to the Portland Temple. We are only a short ways from it.

I'm actually on a multiway photography excuse to travel : I go to every temple I can & take pictures when I'm nearby for work (or come across an awesome travel deal). I've seen some really cool things (like one, that I'm spacing on the name, actually looks like a Viking funeral at sunset. Which is just kind of crazy awesome. It has these gorgeous bow/stern lines, overlooks the ocean, and when the sun sets it just looks ablaze & rising up out of the water. Sheesh. I'm going to have to find that picture one of these days. Took it a couple years ago. I tried finding it on lds pic site, but it's a totally different angle I took it at from what posted.)

San Diego not only looks like a fairy wedding cake (love it, I was totally let down by the Disney Castle afterward), but is also my first experience with LDS Temples... So I'm a bit biased.

I've also got a soft spot for the Johannesburg Temple.

It's different than most..

The walls are milk chocolate colored, and then these blinding pure white spires.

Like the Viking Ship temple, it seems to be in a state of movement, like it's rising up, or the whole thing is JUST about to change to Snow White, or the earth is falling away from it. It's breath taking.

But I think my actual favorite is the Big Dipper / star wall on the SLC temple. First time I was there the walls were deep grey, and then the sun came out into blue skies, and it went perfect white, then faded back into smokey grey.

Yeah. Can ya tell I'm biased for dynamic visual action superimposed over a still spot in time outside of the world?

Q

Posted · Hidden by estradling75, May 23, 2014 - per usal
Hidden by estradling75, May 23, 2014 - per usal

So wait, is that were they keep the 2000 year old secrets of Hokuto Shinken?
I am suspicious of anything with the big dipper on it these days.

I love the Chicago Illinois Temple. Granted, I live in Chicago and it's the one I visit monthly.

So many wonderful blessings have come from going to this temple. It's seriously amazing. I'd say I've received revelation there when I am there.

Chicago-Illinois-Temple1.jpg

I also have a special place in my heart for the SLC Temple since it was the first one I went to for baptisms.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Oh! Oh! Oh!  I'm excited to share my "favorite temple story"!

So when I was growing up, I favored the Salt Lake Temple and wanted to be married there.  Don't all young LDS girls, LOL?

Then after my mission, my best friend and I drove from Arizona to Alaska and visited as many temples as we could along the way.  That is when I fell in love with the Portland, Oregon temple.  I thought, "I would love to be married here."  By then I was more practical though, and realized I would likely get married in whichever temple was closest to where I lived.

So my friend and I went to Alaska.  After two great years there, I moved to Portland--and yes!  I ended up being married in the Portland Temple.

I first saw the San Diego Temple on my honeymoon and that is my second favorite!