How much would you pay someone for their help while you were away?

notquiteperfect

Did they go every day?  If they did to water etc..I'd probably pay about $100.  Of course it's dependent on how much they really did and how much actual time they spent.

As a kid I made $400 one month (which was awesome money) for keeping the lawn watered on a house my uncle was trying to sell.  One of my parents would drop me off, I would read and eat snacks for a few hours whilst moving the hose and sprinkler head around...

I still think my uncle was being generous. That would probably be still fine for an adult for a month's pay. 

age 19

2-3 times a week (2 hours once, 20 minutes max the others - would be my estimate)

lives a few miles away

used our equipment, supplies

Then I probably wouldn't do more than $50-60.

I only mentioned age because if it was a young person doing it for pocket money I would pay less than I would to some one who did this as their career.

I'm with you on this one.

I paid a young guy £50 to feed my fish as I knew he was saving for his mission and money issues were stressing him out but there would be no way I could do that on a regular basis nither would I have paid his little brother the same amount

If I knew it was a young man or woman getting ready to go on a mission I might pay a little more just because of that.  But as you said..not on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I do this a lot but I have 3 birds, fish, lizard, and turtles that needed to be fed and watered in addition to watering my indoor plants.  I pay $35/visit.  I use a licensed and bonded professional service.  Last Christmas, the sister I VT (I'm her VT) did it all for 2 weeks, 4x per week, for free.  She's an amazing woman.

Since this has come up again I'll post a follow up since it turned out to be a life lesson.  She did a good job with the tasks and I ended up being a bit more generous than I was planning on but the exchange still gives me satisfaction.  She was so pleasantly surprised that I'm glad we have that 'thread' between us than one of being frustrated/annoyed/feeling jipped.