Joseph - Our Beloved Prophet

Snow

People wrote in their diaries that they met Joseph Smith in their 20’s and that the encounter stayed with them vividly for rest of their life.

What would it have been like? What was HE like?

He must have been a man dripping with passion and charisma. Big, impressive physique, capable of dominating most men he met. Yet he was warm and gracious, mischievous.

In his personal diaries Joseph reveals himself as a complex and human religious leader and innovative thinker. "I enjoyed myself by my own fireside with many friends around me," he recalled of a quiet moment at home. "I drank a glass of beer at Moisser's," he dictated with equal frankness. An enthusiast for winter activities, Smith would often close his office whenever it snowed to go sledding with his son Frederick or to take his wife Emma sleighing.

Occasionally short-tempered, Smith once told detractors to "hide their heads in a hollow pumpkin and never take it out." He could lose patience with people who left meetings before the benediction and with young men who sneaked onto the women's side of the congregation. People asked him why he used "such flat and vulgar expressions," but on occasion he could transcend his frontier parlance and speak in eloquent metaphor, such as when he described the resurrection: "It is pleasing for friends to lie down together locked in the arms of love, to sleep, and [awake] locked in each others' embrace [to] renew their conversation." (Scott Faulring - An American Prophet's Record).

I like this description the best:

He was a self made man, rising from poverty to power, from semiliteracy to knowledge of both worldly and heavenly mysteries, from anonymity to fame, from being nobody to being somebody. He was a shaper of both present and future, a man who seemed to make history rather than merely reacting to it - qualities much prized in America. Personally he exemplified other ideals; he was big, strong, blond, handsome, virile, young ambitious, hearty, humorous, at once earthy and godlike, articulate but not pedantic, possessed of a vanity and pomposity more admired than ridiculed and enormously attractive to both men and women. That is enough to make any American some kind of hero, to name at least one town after. (Robert Flanders, Dream and Nightmare: Nauvoo Revisited)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 29 2004, 11:40 PM

People wrote in their diaries that they met Joseph Smith in their 20’s and that the encounter stayed with them vividly for rest of their life.

He must have been a man dripping with passion and charisma. Big, impressive physique, capable of dominating most men he met. Yet he was warm and gracious, mischievous.

In his personal diaries Joseph reveals himself as a complex and human religious leader and innovative thinker. "I enjoyed myself by my own fireside with many friends around me," he recalled of a quiet moment at home. "I drank a glass of beer at Moisser's," he dictated with equal frankness. An enthusiast for winter activities, Smith would often close his office whenever it snowed to go sledding with his son Frederick or to take his wife Emma sleighing.

Occasionally short-tempered, Smith once told detractors to "hide their heads in a hollow pumpkin and never take it out." He could lose patience with people who left meetings before the benediction and with young men who sneaked onto the women's side of the congregation. People asked him why he used "such flat and vulgar expressions," but on occasion he could transcend his frontier parlance and speak in eloquent metaphor, such as when he described the resurrection: "It is pleasing for friends to lie down together locked in the arms of love, to sleep, and [awake] locked in each others' embrace [to] renew their conversation." (Scott Faulring - An American Prophet's Record).

He was a self made man, rising from poverty to power, from semiliteracy to knowledge of both worldly and heavenly mysteries, from anonymity to fame, from being nobody to being somebody. He was a shaper of both present and future, a man who seemed to make history rather than merely reacting to it - qualities much prized in America. Personally he exemplified other ideals; he was big, strong, blond, handsome, virile, young ambitious, hearty, humorous, at once earthy and godlike, articulate but not pedantic, possessed of a vanity and pomposity more admired than ridiculed and enormously attractive to both men and women. That is enough to make any American some kind of hero, to name at least one town after. (Robert Flanders, Dream and Nightmare: Nauvoo Revisited)

I thought Joseph Smith had brown hair and was medium build??? That, at least, is what the pictures of him show.

In what way was he powerful? The church? Just curious.

broadway

Guest Ammon

Odd. The antimormons, through all kinds of journal entries and historical accounts, depict him as an adulterer, child molester, cheat, gold-digger, and scam artist. They also compare him to Mohamed. It is very interesting to see the different lights in which this one man is seen. On the one had, he is a saint, on the other, he is a vile sinner. Most interesting.

Originally posted by broadway@Mar 30 2004, 07:20 AM

I thought Joseph Smith had brown hair and was medium build??? That, at least, is what the pictures of him show.

broadway

I believe he was 6'1" or taller, which must have been tall for the time. He had a muscular build and a large chest. He could physically dominate others and enjoyed besting them in good natured competition such as wrestling. I think that because of his atheliticism he had developed a propensity to settle some issue with his fists when he was younger and later seems bothered by it as he felt that such was not consonant with one called by God.

Beyond being physically powerful, he was the type of man that exuded authority and charisma. People listened to him. People claimed to feel the spirit emanating from him and kept the memories of it with them.

I remember that a couple years ago Trident maintained that JS was an ugly man (as if a man of God would not be ugly). That would make Joseph's accomplishments all the more impressive but alas, he was also very personable and persuasive.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Ammon@Mar 30 2004, 12:20 PM

Odd. The antimormons, through all kinds of journal entries and historical accounts, depict him as an adulterer, child molester, cheat, gold-digger, and scam artist. They also compare him to Mohamed. It is very interesting to see the different lights in which this one man is seen. On the one had, he is a saint, on the other, he is a vile sinner. Most interesting.

His name was to behad for good and evil...right?

Guest Starsky

I feel like I know him personally...on a level few would understand...

He was falable, sometimes even stupid....but he tried very very hard to do the right thing...trouble was...he wasn't really good at long-term relationships because of his honest....and forthrightness.

He didn't ever kiss ####.

Guest curvette

I've never read firsthand accounts of Joseph being ugly. He did have quite a schnoz on him, but people described him as handsome. The thing that cracks me up is when modern LDS people characterize him as ordinary. There was absolutely nothing ordinary about him. He was extraordinarily charismatic and gifted.

Originally posted by curvette@Mar 30 2004, 06:01 PM

I've never read firsthand accounts of Joseph being ugly.  He did have quite a schnoz on him, but people described him as handsome.  The thing that cracks me up is when modern LDS people characterize him as ordinary.  There was absolutely nothing ordinary about him.  He was extraordinarily charismatic and gifted.

Well, if one thinks about it, he probably had to have been. He brought many to the church.

broadway

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by AFDaw@Mar 30 2004, 05:24 PM

That picture is one of the better ones. Who's the artist that came out with that book about the Smiths? I love the one where he's brushing Emma's hair.

I have never seen that one....oh please ...if someone has it...post it here for me...okay?

Originally posted by broadway+Mar 30 2004, 07:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (broadway @ Mar 30 2004, 07:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Snow@Mar 29 2004, 11:40 PM

People wrote in their diaries that they met Joseph Smith in their 20’s and that the encounter stayed with them vividly for  rest of their life.

In his personal diaries Joseph reveals himself as a complex and human religious leader and innovative thinker.  "I enjoyed myself by my own fireside with many friends around me," he recalled of a quiet moment at home. "I drank a glass of beer at Moisser's," he dictated with equal frankness. An enthusiast for winter activities, Smith would often close his office whenever it snowed to go sledding with his son Frederick or to take his wife Emma sleighing.

He was a self made man, rising from poverty to power, from semiliteracy to knowledge of both worldly and heavenly mysteries, from anonymity to fame, from being nobody to being somebody. He was a shaper of both present and future, a man who seemed to make history rather than merely reacting to it - qualities much prized in America. Personally he exemplified other ideals; he was big, strong, blond, handsome, virile, young ambitious, hearty, humorous, at once earthy and godlike, articulate but not pedantic,  possessed of a vanity and pomposity more admired than ridiculed and enormously attractive to both men and women. That is enough to make any American some kind of hero, to name at least one town after. (Robert Flanders, Dream and Nightmare: Nauvoo Revisited)

broadway

Physically, he was always one of the strongest man around (usually the strongest).

I believe he was 6'1" or taller, which must have been tall for the time. He had a muscular build and a large chest. He could physically dominate others and enjoyed besting them in good natured competition such as wrestling. I think that because of his atheliticism he had developed a propensity to settle some issue with his fists when he was younger and later seems bothered by it as he felt that such was not consonant with one called by God.

He could leap tall buildings, fun faster than a speeding bullet........... yada yada yada. Hard to take this all seriously.

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 30 2004, 08:35 PM

He could leap tall buildings, fun faster than a speeding bullet........... yada yada yada. Hard to take this all seriously.
the reports from both friend or foe are that he was unusually strong. is that a problem for you?