Missions for Older people

Latter Days Guy

I've been thinking a lot lately about missions and serving a mission as an mature missionary.  I never took the opportunity to serve a mission when I first joined the Church (think I was 19/20 when I joined in 1987!).  I know that you can serve a mission when your older and married couples often serve them.  Now here is my predicament, my wife isn't a member so would that mean that I couldn't in the future serve a mission or can I as an older married person still serve?  What would be the age that older missionaries are able to be called from, is it after retirement or can you do it before then?

Males that are older can only serve with their wives.  With her not being a member you wouldn't be called.  Now don't let that deter you.  There are plenty of other type missions that you could serve within your own area more than likely.  Many local type missions can be done at a variety of ages.  

For example:  Here in Salt Lake City they are always looking for people to work part time in the Family History Center.

As mentioned, there are all sorts of missions. A good number of them can be done locally and don't have the 'couple' requirement.  You also don't have to wait for retirement (8 hrs/week minimum, 6-24 mos).

https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/church-service-missionary/get-involved?lang=eng

Edited by notquiteperfect

Males that are older can only serve with their wives.  With her not being a member you wouldn't be called.  Now don't let that deter you.  There are plenty of other type missions that you could serve within your own area more than likely.  Many local type missions can be done at a variety of ages.  

For example:  Here in Salt Lake City they are always looking for people to work part time in the Family History Center.

I am not sure you covered all the bases.  Non-members can serve in callings - especially the service type such as Family History or humanitarian service.   I know of non-members teaching primary or working with the young men or young women.  Service is an important part of true religion and calling non-members to serve is often a gateway to membership rather than thinking in terms of the other way around.

Thanks for the replies, I was almost giving up on the idea that I could serve but you've given me new hope!  And who knows, the wife might in the future become a member and we could serve together!

Your wife must be very big on service - she married you didn't she! - please do not take this attempt at humor wrong.  ;)

Most people will serve if asked to do so.  You may ask your wife about things she would like to do as a service for your community with you.  I am sure there are some things you could also suggest that involve the LDS church services - even helping with the youth in your ward or stake or some other thing?

Edited by Traveler

Your wife must be very big on service - she married you didn't she! - please do not take this attempt at humor wrong.  ;)

Most people will serve if asked to do so.  You may ask your wife about things she would like to do as a service for your community with you.  I am sure there are some things you could also suggest that involve the LDS church services - even helping with the youth in your ward or stake or some other thing?

At this point in time my wife wouldn't have anything to do with the church as she thinks its a cult that brainwashes people into subservience.  The fact of the matter is I don't have home teachers because they wouldn't be able to come to my home, I can't do a calling that would involve me spending any amount of time away from home, getting to church on a Sunday can often be a nightmare.  Luckily I have a fantastic Bishop who is working with me to try and resolve issues but since she won't talk about the church or have contact with anyone from the church its a struggle.

That however doesn't quench my desire to serve the Lord in some capacity and I have the hope that some time in the future I can do even a small work that would be pleasing to the Lord!  

I love my wife and she does love me but my return to the church has thrown a spanner into the relationship that is proving hard to overcome, I hope and pray that she at least soften her heart to the church and maybe in the future come to see how much good there is in the church and choose to turn to the Lord and become a member.  But until that time, prayer and little steps are par for the course! 

At this point in time my wife wouldn't have anything to do with the church as she thinks its a cult that brainwashes people into subservience.  The fact of the matter is I don't have home teachers because they wouldn't be able to come to my home, I can't do a calling that would involve me spending any amount of time away from home, getting to church on a Sunday can often be a nightmare.  Luckily I have a fantastic Bishop who is working with me to try and resolve issues but since she won't talk about the church or have contact with anyone from the church its a struggle.

That however doesn't quench my desire to serve the Lord in some capacity and I have the hope that some time in the future I can do even a small work that would be pleasing to the Lord!  

I love my wife and she does love me but my return to the church has thrown a spanner into the relationship that is proving hard to overcome, I hope and pray that she at least soften her heart to the church and maybe in the future come to see how much good there is in the church and choose to turn to the Lord and become a member.  But until that time, prayer and little steps are par for the course! 

Since your wife will be very uncomfortable by you spending more time at church, how about a service opportunity not directly through the church?  There are many humanitarian/service things that can be done through other venues (and anything you do to serve your fellow man is serving the Lord).

Latter Days Guy, there are a lot of ways to serve. I even look at the opportunity to post here on LDS.net as a chance to serve the Lord.  I can build others up, show love and concern, help a lost sheep with their questions, and strengthen the testimony of others.

Sometimes, we may not even realize it when we are being a tool in the Lord's hands.  "...Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."  Matthew 25: 37-40

Edited by classylady

Latter Days Guy, there are a lot of ways to serve. I even look at the opportunity to post here on LDS.net as a chance to serve the Lord.  I can build others up, show love and concern, help a lost sheep with their questions, and strengthen the testimony of others.

Sometimes, we may not even realize it when we are being a tool in the Lord's hands.  "...Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."  Matthew 25: 37-40

ClassyLady, you just took what I meant to say and articulated in such a good way I'm stunned.  You're work here is certainly marvelous.