Youtube Apologetics

cdowis

48 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm afraid you would end up mostly unpleased.  From my archives:

Seriously, doesn't this just break your heart? People so proud of their own hard-heartedness. I suppose they think they're demonstrating their intellectual bona fides or something.

19 hours ago, person0 said:

The 'Mound Builders' designed the following in Ohio:

Image result for mound builders menorah

It's no horse, but it's most definitely a menorah and oil lamp and one could argue the sign of the compass and square.  Pretty cool either way.  I'll show them evidence of a horse when they show me what a cherubim and a behemoth.

Wouldn't that be a Hanukkah menorah though? That's a little late in the game for Book of Mormon purposes.

19 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Wouldn't that be a Hanukkah menorah though? That's a little late in the game for Book of Mormon purposes.

Agreed.  EDIT:  Actually, I just looked it up, a menorah was used in the mosaic tabernacle.  This could have been based on their understanding of that.  Either way, it is highly likely to be of Israelite origin.

Edited by person0

7 hours ago, person0 said:

Agreed.  EDIT:  Actually, I just looked it up, a menorah was used in the mosaic tabernacle.  This could have been based on their understanding of that.  Either way, it is highly likely to be of Israelite origin.

Wouldn't the Mosaic Tabernacle use the temple menorah?  (7 candles).

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Or it could be terraforming terraces.

I really don't think that's what it is.  It does not really match up in design or format with that.  Some British archaeologists claim that if you flip it upside down it clearly becomes the effigy of a bird.  I don't really see it.

1 hour ago, person0 said:

I really don't think that's what it is.  It does not really match up in design or format with that.  Some British archaeologists claim that if you flip it upside down it clearly becomes the effigy of a bird.  I don't really see it.

That would be some wacked out bird -- even in effigy.  It looks more like The Cheat.

5abe467b2f36b_download(1).jpg.c1c24921d5a28bdbc8f6572e74493915.jpg

Masonic rites

While there are indeed there are similar symbols in common with the Masons, the endowment cerement itself  is unique to the church.
https://youtu.be/oCu0d-SjrN0 

Presented by invitation of the Worldwide Exemplification of Freemasonry, an organization to educate Freemasons. Presented by Mark Koltko-Rivera, Ph.D., a 32nd-degree Scottish Rite Freemason who is also a temple-attending Latter-day Saint.

...when Joseph had received the endowment ceremony and was told to employ it and offer it in the new temple, he simply asked "if all the rumors about the Freemasons' link to Solomon's Temple were true."  Then he was told that there were some things that survived over the millennia, but that the fulness was being revealed to him right there by the Lord Himself.  If he wanted to see the differences, he should become a Mason.  So he did.

And referring to Elder Richard's quote, as well as others related to Masonry, Matthew Brown states:

"None of these statements is meant to imply that the LDS temple ordinances are a species of... Freemasonry. (They express) that there is a divine or heavenly prototype, and the LDS version... is derived from the heavenly source -- and thus constitutes the true version."
.....Joseph bore testimony on 15 June 1844 (as Chronicled by Mormon Pioneer William Clayton) that some ceremonial knowledge of the endowment was received through the Urim and Thummim.  His testimony then would refute the notion that the endowment was a "modification" of the extant Masonic rites.
https://mormonhub.com/forums/topic/57532-youtube-apologetics/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-856326

Edited by cdowis

9 minutes ago, cdowis said:

...when Joseph had received the endowment ceremony and was told to employ it and offer it in the new temple, he simply asked "if all the rumors about the Freemasons' link to Solomon's Temple were true."  Then he was told that there were some things that survived over the millennia, but that the fulness was being revealed to him right there by the Lord Himself.  If he wanted to see the differences, he should become a Mason.  So he did.

Wow.  Using my words as a quote in your apologetics?  I don't know what to say.  I'm touched.  I didn't even know you read my work.

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Wow.  Using my words as a quote in your apologetics?  I don't know what to say.  I'm touched.  I didn't even know you read my work.

You have done your homework on the issue and I use it in my youtube apologetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaUO54AgTJM&lc=z22ew5bpftisx52mkacdp431pivowakuddi40thudzhw03c010c.1522414276375812

14 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You have done your homework on the issue and I use it in my youtube apologetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaUO54AgTJM&lc=z22ew5bpftisx52mkacdp431pivowakuddi40thudzhw03c010c.1522414276375812

Faith and works

Russell M. Nelson - "Be patient with yourself. Perfection comes not in this life but in the next life. Don’t demand things that are unreasonable, but demand of yourself improvement. As you let the Lord help you through that, he will make the difference." This is what our church teaches. God expects us to work towards perfection. Matthew 7:21 -" Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:21 -" Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Our mouth will not save us.

"another gospel"

The historic Christian church has replaced the apostles and prophets with theologians and philosophers. They disagree among themselves even on basic salvation doctrines, such as the necessity for baptism, faith vs works, etc.

Paul teaches us
Eph 4 [11] *And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets;* and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: [13] *Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God*, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: [14] That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Clearly we do not have that unity of faith, and we see Christians carried away with every wind of doctrine. “One Lord, one faith, one baptism” simply does not exist in today’s world. Even if one cannot accept the Mormon church, the Bible makes it clear that we need prophets today, even more than ever.

It just makes sense.

Edited by cdowis

>Satanic symbols on temple

They are not Satanic symbols. They are Christian symbols == >>they represent the sun the moon and the stars of the three kingdoms of glory.

The pentagram is symbolic of the stars. 1 Cor 15 [40] There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. [41] There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

> JS bragging

John 14 [12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and **greater works than these shall he do**  because I go unto my Father.

John 6 [66] From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Edited by cdowis

15 hours ago, cdowis said:

>Satanic symbols on temple

They are not Satanic symbols. They are Christian symbols == >>they represent the sun the moon and the stars of the three kingdoms of glory.

The pentagram is symbolic of the stars. 1 Cor 15 [40] There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. [41] There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

In the case of the Salt Lake and Nauvoo temple, the sun moon and stars are in the wrong order to represent ascending through the three kingdoms of glory. They more closely align with the description of the church bride mentioned in Revelation

And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

Man on the moon

Huntington is the only source for this myth. His "I know that he said" indicates this was just gossip.

Historians have discovered the real source of this myth ==>> The "Great Moon Hoax" refers to a series of six articles that were published in The Sun, a New York newspaper, beginning on August 25, 1835, about the supposed discovery of life and even civilization on the Moon. The discoveries were falsely attributed to Sir John Herschel, one of the best-known contemporary astronomers of that time. The story was advertised on August 21, 1835, as an upcoming feature allegedly reprinted from The Edinburgh Courant.[1] The first in a series of six was published four days later on August 25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moon_Hoax

21 hours ago, cdowis said:

Man on the moon

Huntington is the only source for this myth. His "I know that he said" indicates this was just gossip.

Historians have discovered the real source of this myth ==>> The "Great Moon Hoax" refers to a series of six articles that were published in The Sun, a New York newspaper, beginning on August 25, 1835, about the supposed discovery of life and even civilization on the Moon. The discoveries were falsely attributed to Sir John Herschel, one of the best-known contemporary astronomers of that time. The story was advertised on August 21, 1835, as an upcoming feature allegedly reprinted from The Edinburgh Courant.[1] The first in a series of six was published four days later on August 25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moon_Hoax

You've lost me.  What are you talking about in relation to Mormons in your post above?

• 4 weeks later...

"Mormons ARE NOT cHRISTIANS"

Mormons confess faith in Christ before baptism.
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

According to you, we are saved. We are Bible believing Christians.

"Mormons ARE NOT cHRISTIANS"

Mormons confess faith in Christ before baptism.
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

According to you, we are saved. We are Bible believing Christians.

Bible inerrant -- has errors?

The Bible is not the real issue!

2 Peter 1 [20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
[21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God [prophets} spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Eph 4 [11] And *he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets* and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [
13]
*Till we all come in the unity of the faith* and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: [14] That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

The historic Christian church has replaced the apostles and prophets with theologians and philosophers. They debate and argue even over basic salvation doctrine -- grace, free will, baptism, etc. Revelation has been replaced by schools of learning, PhD, and rhetorical skills.

Edited by cdowis

>No man has seen God

Christ said, "he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"

John 6[46] Not that any man hath seen the Father, **save he which is of God** he hath seen the Father.
A "man", those who are of the world, who are of Satan and not of God, he cannot see the Father even thru eternity.

Gen 32 [30] And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.
Jacob was a man of God.

Edited by cdowis