Reginald Perrin and Middle-Aged Angst

Jamie123

This was a great comedy series starring the late Leonard Rossiter (one of the best!) It was a show that tugs on the heart-strings as well as the funny bone.  I’m not sure how well known it in the US; I know for a fact there was a US version of it (“Reggie” starring Richard Mulligan – another great comic actor) but I don’t believe it was a success. I recently discovered it on YouTube, were you can see every episode that was ever made: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2XhMtkmxIZVpvIuT9SJybQ

If you don’t want to bother, here is my synopsis/interpretation:

Reginald Iolanthe Perrin (played by the late Leonard Rossiter) is a senior business executive who has come to a crisis in his life; he hates his job and especially his boss – the tyrannical CJ (John Barron) with his irritating repetition of “I didn’t get where I am today by…[whatever he is disapproving of]” and his heavily overused practical joke – chairs which make rude noises whenever someone sits on them. (Everyone must pretend to find this funny if they want to keep their jobs!)

Reggie is also irritated by his family: especially his son-in-law Tom, an ultra-serious estate agent who brews disgusting wine (which Reggie is forced to drink), smokes a vile pipe and encourages his children to talk about their bodily functions. There is also his crazy soldier brother-in-law Jimmy (Geoffrey Palmer) who is forever appearing on Reggie’s doorstep to scrounge food.

Clearly on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Reggie becomes ever more eccentric: he attempts to have an affair with his secretary (luckily circumstances conspire to prevent this), then hosts a “dinner party” with no food. After a conference speech in which he insults everyone in the room (including CJ) he goes to the beach, takes off all his clothes and hopes everyone will think he has drowned himself.

But Reggie is still very much alive. He travels across England adopting a variety of disguises and personas. (Where he gets his money from now that he no longer officially exists is never explained.) Finding himself still unhappy he gravitates back to his old neighbourhood where his wife Elizabeth is already planning to re-marry.

Reggie re-introduces himself to his friends and family wearing a wig and false beard and calling himself “Martin”. They all seem to be fooled by the disguise, though his similarity to Reggie is noted. He cannot resist revealing his true identity to his grown-up daughter Linda, but swears her to secrecy. Elizabeth meanwhile seems fascinated by Martin/Reggie and soon breaks off her engagement to pursue romance with him.

Eventually Elizabeth and “Martin” are married. At the wedding reception Linda feels compelled to break her word and tell her mother who her new husband really is. However she is surprised to learn that Elizabeth knew all along: “I always knew he was Reggie,” she says. “He wasn’t very happy as Reggie, so perhaps he’ll be more happy as Martin.”

Here the first series ends. There were two more series; they have their funny moments and are worth watching, but they lack the darkness - and hence the poignancy - of the original. Leonard Rosseter portrays the angst of Reggie’s decline so perfectly – if you have experienced anything similar yourself you will recognize it in his performance. There is one particular episode where Reggie – alone in the house and desperately in need of company - repeatedly telephones Elizabeth (who is staying with her mother) only to be brushed off by her every time. The episode ends with the expression of mental agony on Reggie’s face – not a funny ending at all, but a very powerful one.

When I first saw this show as a child (back in 1976) I didn’t really understand it. I found it funny enough, but only on a “whatever will the funny man do next?” kind of level. I saw it again in my early 20’s, but still it didn’t really sink in. I think you need to have tasted middle-age before you can really “get” what the show is about.

Edited by Jamie123