Hello, My name is Byron, I am a Christian.

Byron

I have been a Christian since I was born again back in June of 1998. I was indoctrinated in the Lutheran Church (LCC not the ELICO). I have heard much about other faiths including Mormonism and have recently decided to research for myself the truth about the different faiths. I have talked to Rabbi's, Muslim clerics, Orthodox Christians, Jehovah's witnesses and now I have come round to talking to Mormons.

This research is for my own information and is intent on making me a better Christian through understanding my fellow man. My intention is to overcome past prejudices by asking "tough" questions in a respectful and considerate way. In my past research I have been confronted by people who thought I had an agenda but when they finally realized I am simply asking questions for my own knowledge base and not trying to "convert" or "subvert" they came round and some have even become friends despite our spiritual differences.

I realize many of my questions could be answered by reading books on said topics but I often find when people are ready for a question they may not give the answer they believe to be true but rather the answer they are told is true or the answer that best fits with an agenda.

I wish to ask questions who's answers come from the heart of the believer because I want to understand my fellow man, not necessarily his doctrine.

I thank you all for giving me this opportunity and I hope, should I unintentionally offend, that you will forgive my transgression and instead show me the kindness I intend to show you.

"Love your neighbor as you love yourself,"

And of course in getting answers such as these I feel I will strengthen my own relationship with God by understanding the differences between his children.

"But love your God above all else."

May God's love rest in all of you.

Hi Byron and again welcome to the site  :)

My name is Jane.  I'm a lifelong Mormon, with a deep love of God and fellow man.  I relate to your quest, and share a similar one myself-- I've visited all sorts of faiths and get to know the people there, and (usually) come out with a deeper love for them and new insights on God (though never tempted to convert).  My last study course was Catholicism (for the third time), now I'm studying Calvinism, and have Baha'i lined up next (I'm looking forward to that one).  I would DEFINITELY say the best way to see how a faith is believed and practiced, is simply to ask a person.  

I wish you luck on your quest, feel free to ask whatever, or send me a PM!   :D

Edited by Jane_Doe

I actually think it's a great idea! to ask others of their beliefs. As previously said, we ask that you ask questions respectfully. 

I've attended other churches and felt that I was very respectful. I was able to learn alot and I was always felt so welcome. I love learning new things.

I hope in your search you take the time to attend Sunday Services at some point. If you feel comfortable, you can post your city and perhaps someone would be willing to meet you and attend services with you.

Welcome.  I look forward to your questions. We really do love sincere questions regarding our faith from others.  As long as there is a mutual respect, we'll get along just fine.

Byron, welcome.

My advice:  Spend some time to get to know the personalities here on lds.net.  We have different ways of answering questions... ;)

My other advice (look at that, you get a 2 for 1 deal):  You can go to Mormon.org and click on the Chat button on the top right of the page.  You will then be connected to Mormon missionaries that will gladly talk to you about what we believe.  I think this is the best way to get to know Mormons... First, listen to what the missionaries have to say, take notes, then post your questions here on what they said that rankles.... it would be a more productive discussion than posting the craziest things people have said about Mormons and asking Mormons to explain those.