like those beliefs, like those social views, do whatever you wanr

Backroads

I recently had the opportunity to have an amicable conversation with someone who had left the church over recent social views. I asked what he believes doctrine-wise... and the reply was nothing had changed. Book of Mormon is the word of God, Joseph Smith was true prophet as are all modern prophets, etc. He's just not in the church anymore.

Is this the way of belief now? Believe whatever you want and belong to whatever church you like even if the beliefs don't mesh? Is this how we "have it all"?

Personally I'm seeing this more and more.  I was saddened to hear that two of my long time friends recently left the church over social issues.  Both of them have said that they believe the gospel is true. The believe in prophets and in revelation.  

But they can't get past the recent social issues and believe they aren't in harmony with church teachings.  

I guess I just don't understand it and or should I  say understand exactly where they are coming from.  I think we will see more and more of this.

Guest MormonGator

The recent social issues aren't surprising. In fairness to the church too, it's not like they suddenly changed. Society did. 

I differ with the church on a few social teachings, but it doesn't effect my belief in the Book of Mormon. Or that Joseph Smith Jr was a prophet. 

Edited by MormonGator

I admit that, considering many of my academic acquaintances/FB contacts are leftist liberals, I wonder when one of them will unfriend me for being a Mormon and the social issues of today. I do post LDS topics to my page and people can take it or leave it. 

I wouldn't leave the Church over social issues - other than maybe if they said Blacks couldn't hold the priesthood - and I don't see that happening.  It might get tough dealing with some people, and maybe they won't want to be with me anymore, but social issues change with the times. I'm not going to leave a Church that has given me so much - and has so much to give other people if they would just open their hearts and minds - that I can't see leaving over gay marriage, etc.

I had a little confusion about the children of gays thing, and it seemed harsh at first glance, but the more I read, and the leaders came out with more explanation, that I can accept it, even if others can't.  I like to understand rather than accept, but I know I won't understand everything all the time - and I'm good with that. 

Guest MormonGator

I admit that, considering many of my academic acquaintances/FB contacts are leftist liberals, I wonder when one of them will unfriend me for being a Mormon and the social issues of today. I do post LDS topics to my page and people can take it or leave it. 

I wouldn't leave the Church over social issues - other than maybe if they said Blacks couldn't hold the priesthood - and I don't see that happening.  It might get tough dealing with some people, and maybe they won't want to be with me anymore, but social issues change with the times. I'm not going to leave a Church that has given me so much - and has so much to give other people if they would just open their hearts and minds - that I can't see leaving over gay marriage, etc.

I had a little confusion about the children of gays thing, and it seemed harsh at first glance, but the more I read, and the leaders came out with more explanation, that I can accept it, even if others can't.  I like to understand rather than accept, but I know I won't understand everything all the time - and I'm good with that. 

Perfectly said. Totally agree. 

Personally I'm seeing this more and more. I was saddened to hear that two of my long time friends recently left the church over social issues. Both of them have said that they believe the gospel is true. The believe in prophets and in revelation.

But they can't get past the recent social issues and believe they aren't in harmony with church teachings.

I guess I just don't understand it and or should I say understand exactly where they are coming from. I think we will see more and more of this.

I wonder how long such dissenters remain strong in their solitary LDS beliefs and practices.

you can look at the history of the church and find a way to be dis-satisfied. If you want an out there are plenty. 

How strong is your testimony? Do you believe what you have been saying for all of these years? likely not if you jump on the opportunity to bail out when given the opportunity. We will see more and more of this.

I think that God will sort all this stuff out in the end. We need to stick by our leaders.

What blows my mind is that most of the very same people who are now questioning the Church's position on these things were probably in perfect agreement before this cultural change swept through.  It wasn't that long ago that the idea of things like gay marriage was unheard of and not given a second thought.  Now we're supposed to treat it as some kind of obvious, self-evident moral truth that the Church is backward on. 

The only thing that changed in this equation is cultural opinion.  But I guess sticking to fickle cultural norms is the new "steadfast."

There's an 80s song by Scott Wesley Brown with these lyrics:

And over half the world is starving
While our banner of decency is torn
Debating over disarmament
Killing children before they’re born
And fools who march to win the right
To justify their sin

Oh ev’ry nation that has fallen
Has fallen from within